Is it me

josie gibblebucket

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the price of used vans has risen considerably over the past 6 - 8 months, and they show no sign of dropping back, even though the season is almost over. I don't think it is just dealers trying to cover their overheads, private sellers seem to be expecting about 15-20% more than they did last year as well. *-)

josie gibblebucket - 2011-10-26 9:40 AM

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the price of used vans has risen considerably over the past 6 - 8 months, and they show no sign of dropping back, even though the season is almost over. I don't think it is just dealers trying to cover their overheads, private sellers seem to be expecting about 15-20% more than they did last year as well. *-)

It's all part of the master plan Josie.

All the media are primed to say that everything is going up, so we expect everything to go up.

( My boss tells me that everything in the supermarket is going up by up to 20% at a time).

So, everyone else puts their prices up to cover their increased costs.

So, the amount of VAT collected by the government goes up to pay off debt.

( Or for whatever they do with our money).

:-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
NO I don't think it is you, why ? well we called in on the company we part exchanged our Elnagh Marlyn with two years ago, we were astonished to see they had it back again, further surprised to see it marked up at just £500 less than then. On questioning the salesman just out of curiosity he said there was a shortage of good used stock, intrigued we asked him what he would allow us on our current van and it was £250 ( yes I know not a lot ) more than we paid for it. Go figure.............

One of the reasons s/h vans have held their price or gone up is the increaseing price of new one. My own van, which is at the cheaper end of the market, has risen in price over last three years by nearly £9000. The second reason is the same as happened to the secondhand car market, people are holding on to them longer so good quality S/H become in shorter supply.

Guest pelmetman
So has my driveway of old bangers gone up in value:D
1990 Travelhome, 1999 Rover Sterling, 1999 LWB Transit....collective age 43 years but all in excellent nick;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-10-26 12:48 PMNo don't think so, mind you scrap metal prices have gone up.
You might be right 1 foot, just had the belts done on the Rover £4508-)........the book price for it is only £650(lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have a mint 2003 Avensis, 45000 from new, can't give it away, go figure....................oh and non of that cambelt malarky on it, but still no takers

pelmetman - 2011-10-26 12:41 PM

So has my driveway of old bangers gone up in value:D

1990 Travelhome, 1999 Rover Sterling, 1999 LWB Transit....collective age 43 years but all in excellent nick;-)

You little liar Dave ... you've just had a 'lift' back home on a breakdown truck in your works van ... not what I call excellent nick!!! :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-10-26 5:37 PM
pelmetman - 2011-10-26 12:41 PMSo has my driveway of old bangers gone up in value:D
You little liar Dave ... you've just had a 'lift' back home on a breakdown truck in your works van ... not what I call excellent nick!!! :D
But to be fair Mel, as I later discovered from my mechanic chap, the cause of failure wasn't mechanical but due a branch that apparently I must of driven over*-) which bounced up into my fan snapped the belts sheared of the fan which punctured the rad..........dam expensive twig8-)     

Tony Jones - 2011-10-26 11:35 AM

Why, are you in the market Nicola?

(btw, we're doing B St E again this year, are you?)

Should we invest in Solar PV, uprgrade the van to one thats only 10 or 12 yrs old or just go to the pub and have a good time!! No, its just that I like to keep an eye on prices, just in case we miss an absolute bargain.

I don't think we will be going to BSE this time, but have recommended it to loads of peeps, so I hope I haven't stopped you from getting a parking space. ;-)

andy mccord - 2011-10-26 12:23 PM

They have risen a lot, I went to buy a new Coral SC690 in august, for £41,995, but they had sold it, now its back on the same forecourt, 7 weeks later for sale at £46,995 The very same van!!! New price is £55K for the same van, hence is rise in value.

Andy

Thats a big jump, bet you were gutted. Still, they may do a deal for you if you make them aware that you have seen the same van several times at different prices?

pelmetman - 2011-10-26 5:46 PM

Mel B - 2011-10-26 5:37 PM
pelmetman - 2011-10-26 12:41 PMSo has my driveway of old bangers gone up in value:D
But to be fair Mel, as I later discovered from my mechanic chap, the cause of failure wasn't mechanical but due a branch that apparently I must of driven over*-) which bounced up into my fan snapped the belts sheared of the fan which punctured the rad..........dam expensive twig8-)     

I don't believe a word of it ... I think you were playing 'frighten the tree' by telling it you were going to chop it down for firewood for your wood burner, so it got so scared and dropped a branch which you then took 'revenge' on by running over it!!! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2011-10-27 12:29 PM
fairweather camper - 2011-10-27 12:27 PMWhat is BSE please, im a bit thick 8-)
Sshhhh. Looks like a secret site. ;-)
Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk;-)............Or mad cow disease:D

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 12:35 PM

So what's BSE's claim to fame ?

Really, really good Christmas market. Lots of continental foods, jewellery, clothes, toys etc etc AND free motorhome parking the night before up to 8am (but make sure you are up to pay and display by then as car park inspectors seem to appear from nowhere!)

Yes we did meet up with Tony and Liz last time, and a good day was had by all..................

Archived