TV Antenna - Status 315 - Blanking Cap

laimeduck

My Benimar has one of these fitted and I wish to remove it as we do not have a TV.

The manual states that there is a "blanking cap" to plug the hole when the aerial is removed, but I do not have this.(van bought second hand)

I have e-mailed Grade UK Ltd who make these, but they don't reply?! >:-(

2 questions therefore

a) Does anyone have a cap they don't require?

b) Does anyone know the size of said cap?

c) ( well OK 3 questions!) 8-) Does anyone want a Status 315 unit ? (minus the base plate)

Thanks

I removed my Status aerial as it was useless and I now have a portable satellite system. I could not find the blanking cap either. I sealed the fairly large hole in the base unit with a rubber bung and silicone sealant, then found a white plastic lid from a smallish pills container and put it over the base unit with sealant. Will need to keep an eye on possible UV degradation over time. Sorry can't tell you the size of cap -trial and error suggested.

There is a blanking cap which is intended (AIUI) mainly for temporary use when the "flying saucer" is removed from the foot.

I'm not sure I would want to rely on this on a (semi-)permanent basis, but I don't know without trying it (it may well be a tight enough fit to work long-term).

There's also a blanking plate which fits the footprint of the 315 "foot", with similar screw holes, if you wanted to permanently remove everything.

Both can be seen on this page:

http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/shop/antenna-accessories/

(I think I passed on my blanking caps from previous 'vans, but I'll have a look later and on the offchance I find one, you can have it)

Robinhood - 2011-10-26 5:53 PM

(I think I passed on my blanking caps from previous 'vans, but I'll have a look later and on the offchance I find one, you can have it)

...well, I've 20+ years of cr...........sorry, potentially useful motorhome items stored away, but the Status blanking caps are conspicuous by their absence. Must have gone with the 'vans. Sorry.

(not going to cost you a lot to source one though) ;-)

laimeduck - 2011-10-26 4:34 PM

My Benimar has one of these fitted and I wish to remove it as we do not have a TV.

The manual states that there is a "blanking cap" to plug the hole when the aerial is removed, but I do not have this.(van bought second hand)

I have e-mailed Grade UK Ltd who make these, but they don't reply?! >:-(

2 questions therefore

a) Does anyone have a cap they don't require?

b) Does anyone know the size of said cap?

c) ( well OK 3 questions!) 8-) Does anyone want a Status 315 unit ? (minus the base plate)

Thanks

As a buyer of used vans, One of my pet hates are accessories that make a major 'Hole' in the roof structure, and have then been 'removed' for whatever reason, the subscequent 'Botch' to cover up the hole/holes is never very pretty.

Far,Far better to leave the item 'in situ', even if you never itend to ever use it yourself, it may be just what the next 'Purchaser' of your van wants, and can even 'Swing the deal'. My advice 'just leave it there' , Same advice for Solar Panels,Satelite systems, and roll-out awnings.

The cost of having them 'de-Installed' then Re-installed, and the damage left to the old van are not worth the hassle and expense. *-) Ray

[

As a buyer of used vans, One of my pet hates are accessories that make a major 'Hole' in the roof structure, and have then been 'removed' for whatever reason, the subscequent 'Botch' to cover up the hole/holes is never very pretty.

Far,Far better to leave the item 'in situ', even if you never itend to ever use it yourself, it may be just what the next 'Purchaser' of your van wants, and can even 'Swing the deal'. My advice 'just leave it there' , Same advice for Solar Panels,Satelite systems, and roll-out awnings.

The cost of having them 'de-Installed' then Re-installed, and the damage left to the old van are not worth the hassle and expense. *-) Ray

Ray

you are correct of course - but the "aerial" is removed with a single grub screw & is then replaced by the cap. If I keep the aerial, it can be replaced easily by removing the cap. So no damage :-D :-D

As for RobinHood & Pepe63 - thanks to both of you - I searched but didn't find these links :$ :$

I think I will go for Aerialshack - they are cheaper & Grade didn't reply so they don't get the business!

Thanks all

Well - I got one from Aerial shack & it fits fine (with a bit of silicone sealant as a safeguard). Then in the post came one from Grade - no charge! *-) *-)

So If anyone wants a blanking cap for a Status 315 aerial, let me know & we'll do a deal for the postage!

Archived