Dunkirk Aire

Caroline

I understand that there is a new Aire at Dunkerque, it opened after the allowed parking on the beach Car Park closed ,I don't know where it is exactly but believe it to be close to the beach and original overnight place, Someone will know for sure, just hang in there LOL.

We visited the one Tracker referrs to on Rue Militaire earlier in the year, its just across the way from the old Malo Les Bains seafront aire de stationement previously mentioned.

Its nothing special and there was few Gypsy caravans that looked like they had taken up residence in the corner along with all their goods and chatels, don't know if they are still there or not.

Its fine for day parking but we decided not to stay the night, partially because of the gypsies and partially because there was a fair bit of road noise.

coords 51.047068 2.381332

Pete

Tony Jones - 2011-10-28 11:23 AM

Gravelines is probably your best bet Caroline. It's in most Aires books.

Tony is right too Gravelines is well worth a visit, but it can get busy, great walks around the town walls and along the prom to the beach, where there is additional car parks that allow overnighting, the down side of the Aire is that it is about a mile to the toilet dump at the Gendarmerie, where you can also get water BUT you need a credit card for water, dumping grey and black can be done for free, Lidl is within walking distance of the Aire and 5 litres of water bottled was 70 cents, so better to buy it there, I say the down side of the Aire but that only means that if you drive to empty your toilet you could loose your spot as ,as I said it can get busy there, but there is another parking area close by which is just as good.

Thanks for your replys, Gravelines appears to be outside of Dunkirk town, so prob a bit far, unless there is something to recomend the area.

The one on the Rue Militaire does not sound like a place to stop the night, we are talking some first timers over and would like to show them an aire.

I have looked on the web site for aires and seen one by Leffrinckouche which has Plage (looks like road parking) by it I think this means beach.........is this the one that is closed now or is this the new one.

there are a couple at Bray Dune more towards the Belgium side of Dunkirk but there appears to be a coastish road to Dunkirk as we will have bikes this might be better.

any reports on this aire?

(?) (?)

vindiboy - 2011-10-28 9:34 PM

Tony Jones - 2011-10-28 11:23 AM

Gravelines is probably your best bet Caroline. It's in most Aires books.

Tony is right too Gravelines is well worth a visit, but it can get busy, great walks around the town walls and along the prom to the beach, where there is additional car parks that allow overnighting, the down side of the Aire is that it is about a mile to the toilet dump at the Gendarmerie, where you can also get water BUT you need a credit card for water, dumping grey and black can be done for free, Lidl is within walking distance of the Aire and 5 litres of water bottled was 70 cents, so better to buy it there, I say the down side of the Aire but that only means that if you drive to empty your toilet you could loose your spot as ,as I said it can get busy there, but there is another parking area close by which is just as good.

Wooppsee! read this again after I answered the replies sorry! :-(

Archived