Over 90 days travel insurance

Wirralian

Before I start phoning round the insurance companies, can anyone point me towards one which gives more than 90 days cover for anyone aged 71 years with a declared 'existing medical condition'.

The insurance company which I have been with for the last three years give a max 90 day cover for my circumstances. Accordingly, I have limited my annual winter stay in Spain to just the 90 days. This year I would like to be away for a little longer.

The medical condition which I have to declare is a TIA ( a minor stroke) which occurred more than three years ago. I had successful surgery to remedy the cause but as far as insurance companies are concerned it is a permanent medical condition that I have. I will not the the only one among you to be shackled by the insurance companies in this way.

John

Hi

It is available but expensive. I have quotes ranging from £680 to £1997 for 6 Months touring the USA for 2 people with a range of conditions. Europe should be cheaper

House insurance cover is another thing to think about when going for that long. I have the CCC household cover which allows up to 186 days away. The CC won`t go beyond 90days

Delta Travel Insurance Is one Insureme4 is another try also insureandgo

A Good "google" should pull them up!

pete

I went for camping and caravanning club for house insurance for 180days.

For van insurance I will probably be returning to Safeguard who have 365 travel a year. Comparing them to Caravnguard (who i have now), saga, camp/caravan, they have by far the most comprehensive policy and it is cheaper as i am returning to them. There is an advert in MMM to get £50 cash back too.

I have used safeguard for 2 claims in the last 6 years and they were excellent.

Chris

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

The CCC would cover me for over 90 days (up to 180) and quoted me a reasonable £204 for self and wife but their health screening agency put a premium of £371 on top of that - a total of £575. This would be for 120 days.

As it happens, the thread posted earlier in the year which flicka mentioned reappeared again a few days ago. I enquired of several insurance companies mentioned but apart from one (giving 94 days) all seemed to have max of 90 days. Two of them quoted £500+ and £1000+!!

MIA, the company which I have been with for the last three years quote £304 for 90 days so I am going to insure with them again and make sure that I am not away more than the 90 days.

As for the home insurance, I am also with the CCC for the 180 days cover and they are more relaxed that others about the housebeing occupied.

John

Have you checked Comfort's rates? You'd need (I think) to put your home and contents with them as well, because the health insurance package is an add-on to these. However, the periods of absence can then be harmonised for home, contents, and health, subject to acceptance. Phone them though, you'll then get someone who will know the possibilities, or will know a man who does.

Guest JudgeMental
briff - 2011-11-01 1:30 PM

Hi just done travel ins for 4 months spain both with pre existing medical conditions for £375 25 basic or comp £439 71 thats with Staysure hope this helps.

was having difficulty getting insurance when Columbus changed their tune and refuse to continue with existing cover even though no changes my end with my prexisting...BAD COLUMBUS!! *-)

Staysure where a real gem of a find! offering worldwide yearly policy including the States, with no exclusions for about a £100 more then some wanted for a month in Europe alone! :-S

• 8 months later...

There seems to be a problem with all the companies suggested in that you have to have booked your return ticket before you leave the UK. We just buy a single Eurotunnel ticket to leave the UK and then whenever we decide to come home we go online and buy another single ticket back to UK. Having to decide when to come home before you have even left seems to go against the freedom of motorhoming!

Staysure offer a very competitive annual multi-trip medical travel policy for up to 100days per trip and Britannia Assist have a breakdown and recovery policy without any maximum trip limit. I have yet to find one company/one policy that combines everything. I keep looking......

I agree with Brian, Comfort are well worth trying. I've had my motor home insurance with them a number of years - first class response to claims, have now moved home insure to them to take advantage of their excellent travel insurance. no occupancy restrictions and very competitive.

Archived