Somali Pirates

Lord Braykewynde

At last the government are talking about doing something positive to protect British registed ships from attacks by these pirates by allowing private armed security personnel on board.

Already he is being questioned about the wisdom of this allowing security personnel being able to shoot to kill.

Does anyone care about the human rights of these pirates because if anyone can show me someone who does I'll show them a misfit.

A colleague of mine knows someone who is doing this & I have met him once or twice.

Ex army guy in his 30's has been working as a Chauffeur to a VIP. Apparently going to make a fortune within about 2-3 years - £100000's - enough to buy a house. (The shipping lines can afford it - its cheaper than a ransom & a ship out of commision)

Good luck to him - hope he survives.

Thus far I am not sure if anyone has been hurt in these hijackings but just wonder if uping the anti will increase the risks. On the otherhand its surprising that it has been allowed to go on for so long despite various Navy's being in the area who have had some success.

David

thebishbus - 2011-10-30 11:15 AM I thought piracy was a hanging offence anyway, err, or was that in another century. ? Or would that be infringing on their human rights. ? Brian B.

Yes and hang them in chains as a deterent:-)

Its because merchant ships are a soft target and the rewards huge that this industry has blossomed on the Horn of Africa, there has always been a history in that area and the Persian Gulf.

In the days of sail merchant vessels were armed to defend themselves against pirates, seems like a good idea to me, as for human rights, you forget my right not to be held to ransome me hansome!

Retread24800 - 2011-11-01 4:05 PM

Heres another view on the situation navy couldnt afford to catch a cold

But would the largest & best Navy, be guaranteed to be in the vicinity at the time of a pirate attack.

Pirates will always put the most distance between themselves & any naval vessel.

As other "Flagged" ships are being armed, British registered Vessels must do likewise.

me thinks Captains would be best advised NOt to report any incidents & leave any pirate remains for the fishes (It may improve fish stocks & catch rates) :D :D

Archived