Big Sites Book shrunk in the wash?

bolero boy

Last week we received our C&CC magazine and inside was a 2012 'sites' book. Last year this book (called the Big Sites Book, I seem to recall) contained info on Club Sites, Certificated Sites, Forest Holiday sites and Listed Sites along with a series of map pages in the back.

The publication received this week has the name 'Your Place in the Country 2012' which contains only details of the Club Sites and Camping in the Forest Sites (last year these were Forest Holiday Sites).

No details included re: CS or Listed Sites.

Do you think this is the replacement for the Big Sites Book?

If it is, how will new members obtain information regarding CS and Listed sites? Yes, we always have the internet but it's handy to have a book to hand sometimes.

I have the POIs for all these (and more) on my TomTom but, again, new members won't even know of their existence.

I don't recall C&CC promoting a change in their published sites book but I may have missed it.

I can (possibly) see a 'green' move towards producing less paper but this seems pennypinching for an annual publication which members use all year.

Don't they normally issue the two books ?.(the "Big sites..." and the "You're place.." ?)

Not sure how often though,as we've only been in a couple of years(..although our Big sites book is dated 2011-2012)...

and to be honest we're not rejoining because we just haven't been using them...

(..I can never fully understand the Big sites book anyway.. (lol) ...map letters this..sheet number that...page numbers..?? :-S (lol)

Oops! Yeti beat me to it... :$

Thanks Robin (et al).

Yes, the Big Sites Book last year was smaller than our first one in 2009 - I hadn't realised they were issued only every two years, incorporating the club sites and Forest sites while these two lists are produced seperately on alternate years as Your Place in the Country.

I must have missed (or dismissed) this on in 2010 as we already had this info.

I also agree the C&CC mapping and locations to be a bit iffy - browsing the map/POIs on our TomTom works far better - although their internet search mapping seems less cumbersome than the non intuitive CC site: although practice helps!

Thanks again all.

CCC big sites book used to be the best in the business - well worth the subscription alone. I think they used to have volunteers trawl their local ares for private sites to include. When the first shrunken version appeared last year (2010-11 edition) I noticed that quite a few private sites were missing. The reason for this was tucked away in the annual report of the CCC in their October magazine. Sites now have to pay for inclusion, even as a basic listing, and I guess quite a lot more for an advertisment. So the book is now less of a service to members, and just another moneymaking excersise for the CCC. As we are not the type of people who book everything in advance, it was useful to see what sites were in the direction we were heading. I now have to do a lot more homework on the internet to find sites; big sites will readily pay for listings, but there are some little gems out there charging not very much and without a big promotions budget.

I am disappointed with the CCC, but, hey, these days you pay more and get less with everything, so why should we be surprised?

Brians dad - 2011-11-01 2:4

I am disappointed with the CCC, but, hey, these days you pay more and get less with everything, so why should we be surprised?

Whilst I agree that "The Big Sites Book" is not as good as it was, may I remind you that it is free to members (or if you prefer included bi-annually in the membership fee).

It will be interesting to see its format and size when the new edition is published next year.

mel wood - 2011-11-01 4:55 PM

Whilst I agree that "The Big Sites Book" is not as good as it was, may I remind you that it is free to members (or if you prefer included bi-annually in the membership fee).

It will be interesting to see its format and size when the new edition is published next year.

One of the reasons we rejoined the C&CC was the Big Sites Book, now it lists only some 2/3rds of the earlier editions. I can see an arguement that sites should pay for listing as it is in affect an advert, but nowadays it's easy for a site to set up their own website which will give a much better advert than the basic listing in BSB. Two of our favorite sites are no longer listed as they can easlily fill every pitch during peak periods.

Archived