Locking petrol cap for Peugeot boxer

heavyhorse

I have an Autosleeper executive on a Peugeot Boxer base year 2000 petrol 2ltr the locking petrol cap does not work anymore, I have been to Peugeot and they have looked everywhere including Europe they say that you cannot get them anymore. I have bought two from breakers yards they do not work, my last one was an after market one, that does not work. I was searching the internet when I found another company selling after market ones for my vehicle, but underneath it said not suitable for motorhomes or campervans, so they must have a different tank. Anyone any ideas. Thanks.

John

GOOGLE-ing suggests that locking fuel caps for your vehicle are still avaiiable. For example:

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9250_7693_7720&products_id=73654

However, you've plainly done a lot of research into this without success, so the cap being advertised there may not fit your Boxer.

I'm doubtful that the standard fuel tank and fuel cap for a Year 2000 Boxer-based motorhome would differ from that of a Year 2000 Boxer commercial panel van. The fuel-filler is inset in the left front wing of all Boxers/Ducatos of that era, so shouldn't be affected by any motorhome 'conversion' carried out above of behind the cab. You say "...I found another company selling after market ones for my vehicle, but underneath it said not suitable for motorhomes or campervans...", it might be helpful if you followed this up and asked why this should be.

Have you tried obtaining a cap via a Fiat agent? I would expect a Year 2000 Ducato and a Year 2000 Boxer to have the same fuel cap.

Thanks Derek, I had one sent from toys4cars that was the one that was too big, althogh it said boxer 94 on. It has been suggested to me that I give it to a locksmith, which is where it is at the moment. If I get no joy there I will try your suggestion of going to Fiat. I have been in touch with the Autosleepers owners club, they have not had the problem before therefore they cannot help, they just sent a list of motorhome breakers. John

Thanks again Derek, I have ordered one from your site lets hope it works the one toys4cars sent for my vehicle was plc77 I have emailed toys4cars to tell them that it was wrong but they have not bothered to come back. I took my lock to a locksmith it cannot be repaired a plastic lug inside has broken he said it is a design fault, when I told him that I had bought two from breakers yards and they were both the same he said that proves it. I have also been onto Peugeot, their reply was because they sell so little petrol caps not worth making spares as the cap goes with the vehicle. Then it goes on to say the filler cap section is available to order seperately part number 1508E4 and it may be worth enquiring with a local locksmith whether it is possible to substitute the existing lock working from a seperate key. Will let you know if the one I have just ordered works. Am planning to go away for a few days in the next week, so it might be a while before i come back. Thanks once again. John

Archived