LED TV/DVD Cello

Keith T

I'm looking for a 19" LED TV or TV/DVD combo, and need one which has the 'old'multi standard analogue as well as Freeview Digital. Most of what seems to come up is one called 'Cello',although having been to John Lewis' today, they also appear to have one which is 'own brand'. None of the major manufacturers seem to have Muti standard Analogue tuners anymore.

As far as I can see, Cello only seems to be available from internet sellers( there are a couple advertising in teh CC mag which seem tosupplythe same model though slightly differing prices), and therefore you cannot see these 'in action'before purchasing. They seem on the face of it just what I am looking for as they can be used (supplied with) both 12v and 240v connecting leads.

Does anyone have experience of these in use, and any comments on how good the picture is,and also reliability. Also service/time by purchasing on-line

Are there any alternatives?.

I have a Cello in my vehicle..its only a 16" bought from Netto for the princely sum of £109.99. It has built in Free view.and a DVD player.

It works brilliantly..the picture is superb..the sound is good.

The viewing angle is the major problem.In front of the screen it is a fantastic picture..but a few degrees off it becomes difficult to see.

Mines an oldie..maybe the newer ones are better

Recap..Fantastic picture if you are in front..excellent DVD player..great with freview..

Sorry no experience of 12V

KeithT

We bought an Avtex TV at the Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show. It is 18,5 inch LED Analogue/Freeview 12volt/230 Volt. We don't watch DVDs so we bought the model without the DVD player but they sell the exact same model with a DVD player.

We have used it on digital and anologue but now use mainly satelite and it has been faultless all round.

They are quite pricey at £289 the Combo being £389 but an excelent piece of kit with a free 3 year return to base 48hour turn around warranty even if you are on a campsite when you have a problem

They are sold by capital stores who appear to offer very good service.

http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/electronics/televisions/avtex-tv

Tel 0800 622 6222

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've just bought a Cello 15.5 in LED lit DVD combo, with regulated 12 Volt DC plug in power supply, to be fair the picture is about what I would have expected, acceptably good, the sound however is pretty poor, but is that any surprise, there is no where to fit any half decent speakers in a thing a few centimetres thick, so I route it through the car stereo through a line in jack. I had looked at the market leading brand, but for nearly three times the price I personally did not think it was much better. As for warranty, well I figured I could buy three for the price of one Avtex, so was worth a punt. Viewing angle is not an issue in our PVC.

We bought a 19" Cello flat screen for the caravan from Sainsburys about 5 years ago and it was a decent enough tv for the price. It was tv only and had no freeview.

The only criticism we had was the poor viewing angle, but it sounds as if the later models may have improved.

We have since bought 2 smaller Avtex tvs for the motorhome and there is no comparison in quality.... in favour of Avtex !

Keith T - 2011-11-08 10:55 PM

We have a Vision Plus tv/dvd which has analogue as well as digital, ours is 15.5 but they do a 18.5, for 12v operation it is feed from an (included) 12v stabiliser, also has usb recording and playback of mp3s and video from usb. It's not to bad, well it's better than the secondary one from Maplins, but thats not saying much,

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm looking for a 19" LED TV or TV/DVD combo, and need one which has the 'old'multi standard analogue as well as Freeview Digital. Most of what seems to come up is one called 'Cello',although having been to John Lewis' today, they also appear to have one which is 'own brand'. None of the major manufacturers seem to have Muti standard Analogue tuners anymore.

As far as I can see, Cello only seems to be available from internet sellers( there are a couple advertising in teh CC mag which seem tosupplythe same model though slightly differing prices), and therefore you cannot see these 'in action'before purchasing. They seem on the face of it just what I am looking for as they can be used (supplied with) both 12v and 240v connecting leads.

Does anyone have experience of these in use, and any comments on how good the picture is,and also reliability. Also service/time by purchasing on-line

As my previous post, apart from the fairly poor sound, mind you I am mutt and jeff, but not much different to the far more expensive options that I have seen IMO, I have found Cello to be first class with customer service, they are UK based, and the very latest LED TV's have the legend "made in UK" mind you that could be referring to the cardboard box as that's where its printed LOL. The angle of the picture seems par for the course, but is excellent when viewed at the correct angle. The set I bought of the net did not come complete with the 12 volt adapter, an email to Cello and it was arranged and I had it within two days.

Hi,

I've just seen that ebuyer sell Cello TV's and Combos at good prices with free delivery but don't list a 19" one.

We bought a Tesco's Technika 15" combo a couple of years ago and agree that the viewing angle is not that good but many of these own brand tv's run off a mains to 12vdc adaptor and have many signal input options and also recording on the latest ones. We also bought an Amperor 12v stabilised regulator for it.

Steve   

Hi

I bought one from Cubik12volt in Brighouse West yorks and the TV is superb. Mine is a 16.5 dvd/tv and cannot fault it. Set up was fully automatic and really easy.

As for Cubik-communication, ordering and advise was brilliant and TV was delivered within 24hrs within a 2 hr timeslot.

I would strongly reccomend both the Cello and Cubik

Mike

Thanks for these responses. I have in act bought one from TV VIllage who advertise in the CC mag,and included was a 8Gb USB. The 'competition' charged more, and included was a wallbracket - no use to me as we have already got a 'media bar' as supplied with the motorhome by Burstner. As the van is live the modern technology hasnt reached us and there is no freeview,I shall have to wait until the first visit to a site for this!

One oddity was that the DVD has to be inserted the opposite way to what we've previously had - the label side towasddrs you! Wondered why it woudlnt read, then looked at the instructions!!!!!!!!

Seems very good,and in answer to a couple of points above, I think the viewing angle is now improved as the picture is on LED not LCD technology.

The main reason I went for this 19" model - its the same sized fascia as my previous 15" one, the actualpicture 30% or more bigger, the thickness is about 50% of that one, and the weight again about 50%.

Other than that one very important criteria- it includes a mutti standard Analogue tuner,stil limportant in france, as Digital TV is a bit hit and miss at present, and during our visits there this year we found several areas where we could only get Analogue TV.(in french.

An interesting point in the Digital is that it's the same system as our freeview, and you can frequently get the sound in English!

Keith T - 2011-11-11 7:29 PM

Seems very good,and in answer to a couple of points above, I think the viewing angle is now improved as the picture is on LED not LCD technology.

Is the viewing angle quoted in the spec? Cello do not include it in the spec on their website I looked at one a couple of months ago in someone's van the viewing angle was very poor but I don't know the age of the screen I was looking at.

The fact that it is an LED TV will not change the viewing angle it is still an LCD screen it is just the back light that is LED instead of Cold Cathode.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Mine is a brand new combo model. To be fair the viewing angle is nowhere near my Hitachi set in the house, but it is light years better than the old LCD in the van it has replaced, a lovely vibrant colourful picture, but being a 15.5 inch screen there isn't much room for the speakers, and the sound is pretty poor. I've got it fed into the vans stereo through a line in on it. A big plus is it only draws 2 amps running on the leisure batteries.

Lets face it, it's as cheap as chips, and no doubt the technology will continue to improve, so if it goes pop after a couple of years it will not be the end of the world. £145 all in..................

This is the spec of ours.......

http://www.cubik12volt.co.uk/full_item_details_primaryimage_Detail.php?items_product_UID=10

it show the viewing angle, and although I have not yet had opportunity to test it in the motorhome, it certainly seems better than the one it's replacing. Having looked around the likes of John Lews and Currys quie extensively,the LED ones doseem to give a better picture and viewing angle than the LCD ones.

incidentally, it appears that Cello actuallymake 'own brand' sets for the likes of M&S and Currys (Logik) so that would suggest they are pretty good.

Hi

Cubic are ok but have a look at MEOS on the tinternet. They do 12v with all the bells and whistles at a sensible price. You can even record via a USB stick. They are also HD when the appropriate input is available. They have digi and analog input as well as dish systems. I have had the 15.whatever and it has and still is a cracking unit. I do notice that a few more are coming on board now. Bear in mind that those designed for 12v use have a decent range down to say 10.5v without causing damage to the unit whereas the systems that used to be sold in the likes of Tesco do work on 12v via a transformer from the mains and have a very small voltage range. Some say fluctuating voltage damage them whereas those designed for 12v use are not damaged and have a flexible input range. I am sure others on this forum who have the technical knowledge will put you right on this point but it is worth taking into account.

Enjoy

Arthur Brown

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ah good point about the voltage. Many of the cheaper end have a 240 volt power brick that drops the voltage down to 12 Volt DC. Some will advise that you can merely use a 12 volt supply with the appropriate plug and correct polarity,my guess is you probably could if you limited it's use when only on battery. However Cello supply a dedicated regulated 12 volt dc adapter that operates within the fluctuations than can occur such as when a mains hookup which as many will know is considerably more. The set I bought did not come with this but was available as an optional extra. Some retailers do include it though, best enquire before hand to be sure.

Keith T - 2011-11-11 9:20 PM

This is the spec of ours.......

http://www.cubik12volt.co.uk/full_item_details_primaryimage_Detail.php?items_product_UID=10

it show the viewing angle, and although I have not yet had opportunity to test it in the motorhome, it certainly seems better than the one it's replacing. Having looked around the likes of John Lews and Currys quie extensively,the LED ones doseem to give a better picture and viewing angle than the LCD ones.

incidentally, it appears that Cello actuallymake 'own brand' sets for the likes of M&S and Currys (Logik) so that would suggest they are pretty good.

Thanks Keith, if the spec is true the viewing angles are on par with most decent domestic sets, the one I saw must have been an earlier one as it was very poor . Our van came with a Camos I think it's an expensive bit of c**p very poor viewing angles just need to persuade 'er in doors it's worth replacing.

Archived