Big Fopah here ?

vindiboy

Guest pelmetman

The picture has certainly been doctor'd as anyone who cooks for a hobby knows*-)............. you don't prick a sausage8-)

Now there you go I have started sausage wars;-)..............I've no shame(lol) 

Pelteman,

Sorry you are incorrect.

In fact the term for "pricking a sausage" has been around all my years (85). To do this one aims the fork cross ways to the sausage and repeats the stabbing several times along the length of the sausage.

The reason for this was that sausage makers at that time used intestinal tubes and if not punctured in some way the sausage was likely to severely split lenght wise due to its internal pressure, resulting in the contents bursting into the pan, leaving the skin behind.

I always preferred this which made the meat much tastier rather than all tight and 'boiled' inside a tube of skin. In fact even today with plastic covered sausages I still prefer the skin to be pricked so the contents will burst out of their skin. Much, much tastier me thinks.

Its a bit like making a hole in a pastry covered pie, the steam has to escape and if it does not there's an explosion of gasses.

So ............ The packaging label is correct.

art (ex cook)

Guest pelmetman
art338 - 2011-11-10 8:04 PMPelteman,Sorry you are incorrect.In fact the term for "pricking a sausage" has been around all my years (85). To do this one aims the fork cross ways to the sausage and repeats the stabbing several times along the length of the sausage.The reason for this was that sausage makers at that time used intestinal tubes and if not punctured in some way the sausage was likely to severely split lenght wise due to its internal pressure, resulting in the contents bursting into the pan, leaving the skin behind.I always preferred this which made the meat much tastier rather than all tight and 'boiled' inside a tube of skin. In fact even today with plastic covered sausages I still prefer the skin to be pricked so the contents will burst out of their skin. Much, much tastier me thinks.Its a bit like making a hole in a pastry covered pie, the steam has to escape and if it does not there's an explosion of gasses.So ............ The packaging label is correct.art (ex cook)
I don't doubt your bangers are very tasty Art;-).......I prefer a slowly cooked sausage in a casserole, which I think adds a mellow and depth of flavour:D  

art338 - 2011-11-10 8:04 PM

Its a bit like making a hole in a pastry covered pie, the steam has to escape and if it does not there's an explosion of gasses.

So ............ The packaging label is correct.

art (ex cook)

So, if there are explosions of gas in the van, someone needs to be pricked with a fork? :D :D

From what I've all to often seen on sites the preferred method of cooking a sausage is to burn the skin clean off, carbonised the outer layer and leave the middle uncooked.

As it happens at the time of writing this my wife has some of our local butchers pork and leek sausages under the grill. Smell and will no doubt taste better than any factory produced rubbish.

Guest pelmetman
marydot - 2011-11-11 3:02 PM
art338 - 2011-11-10 8:04 PMIts a bit like making a hole in a pastry covered pie, the steam has to escape and if it does not there's an explosion of gasses.So ............ The packaging label is correct.art (ex cook)
So, if there are explosions of gas in the van, someone needs to be pricked with a fork? :D :D
Glad I'm not your other half8-).............I'd be full of holes:$

Dave

Archived