Cleaning my van

nightrider

I spent this morning giving my MH an intensive exterior clean-up getting rid of all that green gunge that gets into all those nooks and crannies. The mobile scaffold that I invested in is great for cleaning off the top of the van. Nice and safe, far better than using stepladders as I know to my cost last year when the stepladders i was using gave way and I ended up falling on my bum bone, oooh it dint half hurt.

My van is parked for a fair amount of time so now I run the back wheels up on those levelling ramps so that rain water does not "pool" on the roof leaving all that gunge.

Colin Leake - 2011-11-20 12:00 PM

Now why didn't I think of that. Next time we take our our for a run I'll do the same. Brilliant idea thanks for posting it. I think I'll run mine up on flat wooded blocks for the sake of the tyres though.

In addition to the fiamma levelling blocks I made what I call a platform out of some scrap wood which gives me a lift of 4" so that the van slopes down from back to front throwing off the loose rainwater which also take the dirt with it, to apply attention to detail in cleaning the van it is at least a 4 hour job.

I'm thinking in terms of elevating the front so that the water runs off the back rather than down the front where it may block the drains in the scuttle. I will use a wooden platform made from old scaffold boards cut up and nailed together. Well the scaffold company the builder used when we had a new roof put on my daughters bungalow should have taken his scaffold down when we asked rather than leaving it up for weeks waiting until he next needed it!

We also use levellers under the front wheels of our van to give it a bit of a slope - it was fine before we got air suspension on as our drive has a slope so it ran off, but with the suspension on it raised the rear so evened out the slope ... hence the levellers.

One thing we have found, however, is that if you have it running off the back you get some nice green gunge on top of the rear bumper moulding where it abuts the bodywork which is a pig to remove!!! *-)

As you will probably know if the rainwater "pools" when the van is on level ground, as it dries out it will leave a series of dirt rings which can be difficult to remove. The "fall" on my van is from back to front and there is a strip of fibre glass that forms a drip so the dirty water does not stain.

As an aside I mentioned that I invested in an aluminium mobile tower to access the van roof safely, one or two local MH owners who I knew slightly asked could they bring their vans down to wash off their van roof which I said yes, but they abused my generosity by coming round a little bit too often and as you know washing off a van uses quite a bit of water and as we are on a water meter it was costing us, when I mentioned that it might be an idea to chip in with a couple of bob, they pulled a face so that was that, they lost a good facility.

Archived