dilema re-mpg

ips

hallii - 2011-11-24 10:14 AM

If you tuck in behind a large HGV and then benefit from the "tow" effect of it you will see a worthwhile improvement in MPG.

I reckon it's worth 2 or 3MPG.

H

Oooo..careful with using words like "..tuck in behind.." :-S

..and surely,if you're that close that you're getting a noticable "tow"...then surely you're way too close anyway....?! :-S

Well it just goes to show we all have different outlooks and we should all keep alert as we will meet all types as we travel. The last thing I want to do is look at the back of a stinky scruffy lorry for miles on end and with no forward vision. They can pull up pretty sharpish when they want to and I have seen gallons of water shed off the top, even chunks of ice if they have been parked up. You have got to face it , it`s an expensive hobby but killing yourself for tuppence?

Alan.

If you tuck in behind a large HGV and then benefit from the "tow" effect of it you will see a worthwhile improvement in MPG.

H

Might be worth 2 or 3 mpg but it's damn dangerous. To get close enough for a 'tow' you will find you have severely restricted forward vision because you need to be in the low pressure zone behind the lorry which is probably within a 'ball park' figure of 10-20 yards maximum. Unless you are that close you will probably find your mpg is adversely affected.

In addition there might just be (remote chance maybe) a police car watching and book you for dangerous driving......so is it really worth it for 2-3 mpg extra?

We too travel like Brian Kirby.

Just faster than lorries, particularly on motorways.

Other than that we drive in a stress-free way, occasionally pulling over to let traffic pass on windy rural roads (if we can see a parking spot far enough ahead).

My husband does watch the mpg but more for interest than fixing behaviour. He also keeps meticulous records, but really we behave in a way to suit the traffic conditions - safe driving - our M/H was such a huge expenditure.

Joyce

(deleted double negative)

H

Its a great way to get you and anyone else in your MH killed.

We're not really comparing like with like here are we? Some of us are driving petrol and some diesel, some are driving small and some are driving large vans. Some vans are run in and some are not. All these make huge differences of course.

A diesel engine is not fully run-in until 15,000 miles and there should then be a noticeable improvement in mpg. Forget trip computers, the only sure way to measure mpg is over a prolonged period of time, filling the tank to the brim (one squirt a few seconds after it first cuts out according to Fiat) each time. The miles of fuel left according to a trip computer is highly misleading, as it relates to the style of driving for just the previous few miles.

I've found that driving at 55mph and 60mph makes little difference to mpg which is currently averaging 25 on a 7,000 mile old Ducato. But when we legged it at 70mph across France from Dijon to Calais on the Autoroutes last August, consumption dropped to 18mpg.

I make extensive use of the cruise control on motorways (with my right foot close to the Brake!) set at 62mph, which I guess to be a true speed of 59/60mph, keeping me ahead of the big trucks and thereby mostly out of the way of their game of 'How slowly can I overtake another truck?'

On other roads I drive at the speed limit, whenever it's safe to do so, in fairness to following traffic.

At all times I leave a gap between me and the vehicle in front of 2 seconds, plus a bit, to give me time to react to their slowing down and still a safe distance to brake. In this way I avoid gaining from the tow effect............ just prior to impact!!

I should add that whilst always ready to brake if necessary, I prefer to make as much use of lifting off the gas pedal and gears as I can, because this should make the experience of following me less frustrating and it certainly helps the mpg.

We travel at whatever speed suits the mood and speed. normally 60 on motorways. I try not to hold traffic up on other roads and don't like being behind HGVs.

There is more to fuel economy than just speed as has been said but also brear in mind tyre pressures and remember to be "smooth" by reading the road well in advance.

If you want to tuck in behind an HGV ( hopefully suggested tongue in cheek) then remember the adage I was taught " Only a fool breaks the two second rule". Might just kep you alive B-)

Guest Tracker
1footinthegrave - 2011-11-23 11:38 PM

Tracker - 2011-11-23 7:13 PM

That said we have been known to travel at 70 plus to keep out of the inside lane and in the mainstream flow of cars because that too is less stressful than continual lane changing - but it comes at a price with mpg of course.

If only everyone would get the message that you should ALWAYS be on the nearside lane except when overtaking nothing gets my goat more than someone sitting in any lane when they should be moving back to their nearside at whatever speed they are doing if it is safe and clear to do so. There is no such thing as a "fast " lane, or "mainstream" lane. I'm sure you did not mean to imply that you do otherwise did you Tracker ?

Let me reassure you all that I too HATE middle lane hoggers but when the road is busy - M25 for example - and the inside lane is solid it is sometimes easier and safer to notch the speed up a bit and go with the flow in the second lane rather than in and out of the inside lane.

Archived