Amsterdam to Sicily in Dec - Jan?

JeffersonCampervan

We're contemplating flying over Dec 13, returning Jan. 13.

Our camper is in Amsterdam, and we are thinking of heading to Sicily for 3 weeks, with one week transit time there & back to Amsterdam.

1) I know it's unpredictable, but what is the likelihood of extreme weather hampering our transit north & south? We're Canadians and well versed in driving in snow - enough to know that we would not do it in our motorhome. So if we encountered a snowstorm that covered the autobahns, we would stay put & let it pass.

2) Our projected route is AMS - Frankfurt - Munich - Garmisch- Innsbruck-Brenner Pass-Trento- down the middle of Italy to Sicily. All autobahns. Comments welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Frank.

At that time, snow in the Alps is pretty much inevitable. You'll probably find January worse than December. The Germans and the Austrians are very good at snow clearance but, like everyone, can't clear it while it is falling, if a big dump. No differences there, for you! Lots of corrosives on the roads, though! :-S

As an aside, beware the Apennines down the spine of Italy! They are really relatives of the Alps that took a wrong turn in geological time! Not quite as high, but still carry plenty of snow well south of Rome in April. Stick to one, or other, of the coasts en-route! On your proposed route, probably best to go Bologna - Florence on A1, but still hilly!

You are likely to find northern, sub-alpine, Italy cold, damp, clammy, and foggy, until you get off the Po valley, say south of Bologna, so possibly slow going. Probably no surprises there either.

Are you aware of the new German law requiring, at minimum, M+S marked, but ideally "winter" tyres, with min 4mm tread, to be fitted to all vehicles, without exception, at this time of year? It is framed to place the onus on the driver, so if a vehicle is involved in an accident to which lack of adhesion is contributory, or if lack of traction results in a road blockage, and the police officiate, and find the wrong tyres are fitted, fines etc will be very liable to follow!

If you are thinking of getting the tyres fitted, be aware that the right tyres were in very short supply last year, when the law came in: about as easy to find as hens teeth! So, if you still favour that route, and need to get the tyres, now wouldn't be too late to try to locate some!

That apart, it's an awful lot of flying and driving for 3 weeks in Sicily! I admire your stamina. :-D Enjoy!

why go to garmisch?, when you go around munich, head for salzburg, and then off to your right for innsbruck, through the border at kufstein/kiefersfelden, this is motorway all the way also, only the toll to pay, and a little bit of road tax, which you can get at the garage at the german/austrian border,also when you get into italy head over to the adriatic coast and follow that motorway down, far more pleasant than the appenines in the winter have a good trip.

Thanks,Brian & mgain -

1) Yes, I know about the German tire law. We'll stop driving in any weather where that would impact us. I might have M+S on anyway, but can't check here!

2)Actually, I might loop a bit eat & then south from Rosenheim to Innsbruck (no need to go all the way to Salzburg, AFAICT). I've done that in reverse & yes, the road should be better than thru Garmisch.

3) I'm not worried about the transit tolls in Austria or CH.

4) good tip re. taking an Italian coastal route - is one better than the other? ( the western coast looks more urban than the Adriatic).

5) Is transiting Switzerland a better option?

My main reason for suggesting A1 Bologna - Florence, is that you are entering Italy east of the Apennines but exiting to Sicily on the west, so must cross the Apennines somewhere. The most direct autostrada looks to be Bologna - Florence, and then down the west side.

I'd agree that the east side is less populated, but you'll have to go back west somewhere for (presumably) Messina. Since Italy actually runs from north-west to south-east going down, and the trans-Apennine autostradas all run pretty well due east-west, you end up effectively travelling back the way you've come to change sides. (Hope that makes sense! :-)) Also, the A14 is a bit of a flat, boring, drag!

You could instead try the A24, from Guilianova to Rome via l'Aquila, which more or less maintains the direction of travel, but it gets to over 1,100 metres through the Gran Sasso (though a fair bit is in tunnel). Haven't used it, but it looks pretty spectacular. The A1, on the other hand, doesn't get above 700 metres.

Which appeals most at the time will, I guess, depend a lot on the weather as you travel.

You could go right down the Adriatic side via Bari and Massafra, where the autostrada runs out, but you'd then need to trot round the Gulf of Tarantino and back up a bit to pick up the A3 south of Castrovillari, via E90/SS106 and E834/SS534.

So, my thought was Bologna - Florence, most direct, I think shortest, and probably least prone to weather disruption. It also gives you Florence, Rome, Naples, and Pompei if you get bored en route! Have fun whatever. :-)

PS, Just played with AutoRoute. Amsterdam to Messina. It suggests best is through Germany to Basel, then through Switzerland on A2 to Milan, then Bologna, Florence and on.

Brian Kirby - 2011-11-28 11:07 AM

That apart, it's an awful lot of flying and driving for 3 weeks in Sicily! I admire your stamina. :-D Enjoy!

Yes, I'm beginning to think it's a little mad!

If we arrived & the route was clear, it would be fine.

If it wasn't, we'd have a backup via the Autoroute du Soleil to the Riviera around the Alps , but that adds 1000 km. one way.

We have done greater distances at this time of year on trips from Toronto to Mexico, where I plan a "weather corridor" based on forecasts, but we can leave & return whenever we want & are not dealing with jetlag on the way out & the need to catch a specific flight on the way back.

I think we'll put this idea to bed & settle for the 6 weeks we have booked this summer!

Thanks for all the advice - it helped to clarify.

Brian Kirby - 2011-11-28 6:00 PM

Shame! I was looking forward to the write up! :-D

Sorry Brian - you weren't hoping for amusing slippin' 'n slidin' in snow anecdotes were you? 8-)

JudgeMental - 2011-11-28 11:48 PM

Florida nice that time of year.... *-)

Yes, but our RV is in Europe!

(Previously we have travelled Florida, Texas, Louisiana & California in Dec - Jan.

Florida Keys are especially nice. Mexico 6 times as well).

ian81 - 2011-11-29 3:27 AM

You might think of driving to Genoa in northern Italy and getting the ferry down. Will save time and also probably be cheaper than driving.

Did Sicily last January and we thoroughly loved it (and the sun / warmth)

We have researched that as a backup as well. We won't put our dog in a kennel area, however, altho it seems that it is possible to reserve a cabin with your pet on some GNV ferries. it's definitely an option we were considering.

Sorry ... a bit late in this post but I would agree with Ian81. We did Sicily earlier this year and used the east coast route through Italy which was a bit tedious and the southern roads along the heel and toe of Italy are none too good. Almost everyone we spoke to in Sicily had used the Genoa overnight ferry, quoting prices ranging from 300 - 500 Euro depending on a cabin or Couchette. Much less hassle.

You will enjoy the variances of Sicily ranging from downright shabby to beautifullly scenic.

regards BobK

Archived