MMM....our thoughts on input

Manu

Just been catching up on last months (November) issue, 286 numbered pages with 128 pages of adverts.

I know we have been here before but is the ratio not a little over the top in favour of the rip off trade ads ?

Come on Daniel i know we need some ad revenue but without us there will be no mag.

Your thoughts guys & girls....

I no longer buy it I'm afraid.

I decided some while ago that it didn't represent value for money any more: too little editorial and too much advertising.

In truth, I think it is gradually becoming a victim, like most other "hard copy" magazines, of the increasing shift towards on-line information...which is rapidly becoming increasingly good, comprehensive, searchable, and is free (albeit that it's supported by banner and sidebar advertising.

Technology has moved on, and you can't stop the march of progress. Personally, I really don't think I'd want to be an employee of a hard-copy magazine, as I don't think there's a good, long term future in it.

Guest Tracker
Me too - subscription expired and I had forgotten all about it until someone mentioned it - so I must be really missing my monthly dose of MMM!

What's wrong with adverts. Think of them useful source of information. If they were not read they would not exist. If you don't want the information simply turn the page over. Remember they help pay for the magazine. What harm do they do? It seems to me that a vociferous few will moan about anything.

Guest Tracker

I have no problem with adverts - just as with the content you have the choice whether you read them or not!

Trouble comes when the adverts are more interesting than the journalistic content - and just as predictable!

By the way - it's not called moaning Derek - it's called posting a point of view!.

Everyone has the right to disagree and I'm deliriously ecstatic for all those who still find MMM interesting!

But it does not alter my boredom with MMM the magazine after too many years of subscribing to recall.

Manu - 2011-11-30 2:16 PM

Just been catching up on last months (November) issue, 286 numbered pages with 128 pages of adverts.

I was intrigued by this, because I found the current (December) issue took me very little time to read, and felt very lightweight (both literally and metaphorically speaking).

I decided to to run it thorugh a similar process, albeit from "the other end".

I counted the pages that I considered to have potential real (and not primarily advertising) user interest in them.

From this I would exclude indexes; face pages for articles with nothing but a title (though possibly a picture, but no article content); Marketplace; the "Bargain Hunter" section; and the pictures section from "secondhand choice" (the latter two being simply another form of advertising IMO).

I counted roughly 89 pages of content out of 244 pages overall, and I was lenient in leaving 13 pages of buyer's guide/secondhand prices in that count.

So, you're probably buying 76 pages of new content, some of which may, (if your opinion matches mine), be somewhat underwhelming.

Makes you think, doesn't it!

:-|

But , if the end user, ie the reader does not read ,there would be no Warners.

Wonder what sales or subs are honestly...maybe they will be along in a bit to tell us, or maybe not.

And by the way, plenty of Forums out there without the backing of this mob !

If I have any complaints, it's about the vast amount dedicated to 'Caravan Sites' 'Parks' Premium or otherwise, that might be great for a Caravan or Static Van Magazine, But motorhomers tend to be a differant 'Breed' to that, and I'm sure most readers look on it as 'SPAM' , annoying and unread.

The adverts for Dealers and Accessories are at least 'looked at' and get refered to if there is a 'need'.

WHY is there a WHOLE department dedicated to 'Caravan sites' or 'Park Sales' advertising ? (that mostly 'Hate' Motorhomes booking in for 1 night on our way to somewhere else) They mainly want 'Stay for 2 week' type of customers (which we usually are NOT). Could they be in the WRONG Warners magazine ??? 8-) Ray

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2011-11-30 7:46 PM

I think you'll find it was Colin mentioning moaning, not Derek ... Uncle Derek will be after you now Rich!!! >:-)

OOOOOOps - sorry Derek - I meant Colin - honest!!

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2011-11-30 10:04 PM

I drop our old copies of MMM off in our doctors or optitions waiting rooms. We dropped 3 copies off in our opticians yesterday. She said thanks very but the only problem is that they are the first to go missing. So someone likes them.

That's probably because 3 MMMs together make a very good doorstop or even a draught proofer when laid end to end across a doorway!

Now that's what I call recycling!!

Let my subscriptions to both motorhome mags lapse because of the 'wordprocessing factor' - slightly different versions of the same articles in all mags including the club mags.

( I know the remedy is for more of us to write articles)

BUT after a couple of months found myself drawn to the newsagents that stock them and buy them off shelf!

Sad or easily pleased?

Dave

Rayjsj - 2011-11-30 8:22 PMIf I have any complaints, it's about the vast amount dedicated to 'Caravan Sites' 'Parks' Premium or otherwise, that might be great for a Caravan or Static Van Magazine, But motorhomers tend to be a differant 'Breed' to that, and ...   Could they be in the WRONG Warners magazine ??? 8-) Ray

I'm a CS/Aires/wilding man myself but you might be surprised if you look. We stayed at a CCC main site last weekend for a pre-Christmas meet up with relatives - because they like big sites even though their new Hobby is very well equipped and could be self sufficient. The site was at least three parts full and most of the units there were motorhomes all duly booked in for their minimum two nights on a 'serviced pitch'. Incidentally not all stayed for the two nights but several at least paid for the two and simply used the second 'night' as a means to leave late on the second day. Slightly surprising to me but it rarely pays to assume were're all the same!

Manu - 2011-11-30 8:05 PM

But , if the end user, ie the reader does not read ,there would be no Warners.

Wonder what sales or subs are honestly...maybe they will be along in a bit to tell us, or maybe not.

And by the way, plenty of Forums out there without the backing of this mob !

Yes and some of them are absolute cr*p, some aren't admittedly, but don't 'touch' this forum for content etc (and punch-ups! :D ), and some charge you to use them.

Manu - 2011-12-01 1:02 PM

Wouldnt be many on here then Derek...quickest way to shutdown of a very good forum for good honest & speedy info.

Just looked at another mag of mine, not Motorhome related...has 79 pages with only 3 pages of ads !

Your logic is a bit weird here. The magazine you approve of may only have 3 pages of adverts but it only has 76 pages of story content, nowhere near as good as MMM you are moaning about. What does it matter how many adverts a magazine runs providing the article content is still their. I to do not buy MMM, although my wife is a subscriber, but I do have a quick look through it, the only article I ever read in full is Andy's. Most write ups are pretty boring and nothing much is new, the forum is much better. Their are other forums such as MHF, which I used to belong to, got kicked of for daring to take a moderator to task, this is the best one though. It does need a few additions but it is free so cannot really moan to much. It is not over regulated, in fact not really regulated at all, unlike MHF where the moderators are over zealous especially if you attack one of their number.

rupert123 - 2011-12-01 2:46 PM

Wouldnt be many on here then Derek...quickest way to shutdown of a very good forum for good honest & speedy info.

Just looked at another mag of mine, not Motorhome related...has 79 pages with only 3 pages of ads !

Your logic is a bit weird here. The magazine you approve of may only have 3 pages of adverts but it only has 76 pages of story content, nowhere near as good as MMM you are moaning about.

But Manu did not say which magazine it was nor the price in relation to MMM - if it were a Fiver it would be poor value but at £3 it might be considered good value. :D

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-01 10:04 AM

My own view is that, if you don't contribute to Warners income by buying their magazines, you shouldn't free-load on their internet forums.

There you go again Derek - getting all pompous again!

Lucky you don't decide who can or cannot contribute to this forum innit!!

I subscribed to MMM for over twenty years as well as buying many issues prior to that and just in case it is relevant I think I've done my bit for Warners over the last 35 years or so and now I'm getting my reward.

Thanks Warners - much appreciated!!

gdf - 2011-12-01 10:35 AM

Let my subscriptions to both motorhome mags lapse because of the 'wordprocessing factor' - slightly different versions of the same articles in all mags including the club mags.

( I know the remedy is for more of us to write articles)

BUT after a couple of months found myself drawn to the newsagents that stock them and buy them off shelf!

Sad or easily pleased?

Dave

Don't knock the good old word processor . Some time ago I used to write freelance for various model car magazines submitting the articles long hand with photo prints with the captions on the back. Come the word processor I could provide the articles first on disk and later on line, much more efficient but the real benefit was that I finished up with regular columns in other English speaking countries such as the USA, Australia and New Zealand etc. buy dint of a bit of modest editing of the original articles written for the UK.

bolero boy - 2011-12-01 3:35 PM

rupert123 - 2011-12-01 2:46 PM

Your logic is a bit weird here. The magazine you approve of may only have 3 pages of adverts but it only has 76 pages of story content, nowhere near as good as MMM you are moaning about.

But Manu did not say which magazine it was nor the price in relation to MMM - if it were a Fiver it would be poor value but at £3 it might be considered good value. :D

No, indeed he did not, but still made a direct comparison so he obviously did not think the price mattered.

Archived