MMM....our thoughts on input

Manu

Hi all...bit late but still, the mag is same price as MMM, expensive maybe but far more genuine info crammed in to those pages so i see it as worth it, just my opinion !

Its not about cash though but content.

Just so you know i was a subscriber of MMM for 17 years back in the day....when yeah it certainly was worth it.

And of course its all about opinions, otherwise we wouldnt be here...would we ? ?

Manu - 2011-12-01 1:02 PM

Wouldnt be many on here then Derek...quickest way to shutdown of a very good forum for good honest & speedy info.

Just looked at another mag of mine, not Motorhome related...has 79 pages with only 3 pages of ads !

Don't forget that the original 'motorhomes-only' MMM forum was initially just for subscribers to that magazine, then expanded to MMM readers (via a login-code published in the magazine), then finally - after much heart-searching from Warners management - went fully 'open'.

Although MMM forum membership remained quite small during its first two incarnations, that was when internet usage was relatively limited throughout the UK. I'm sure you are right that forum active numbers would drop if a return was made to MMM readership as a requirement for membership, but I'm less convinced that the drop would be catastrophic. Tabloid or broadsheet: quantity or classiness - a tricky choice.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-02 10:03 AM

I'm sure you are right that forum active numbers would drop if a return was made to MMM readership as a requirement for membership, but I'm less convinced that the drop would be catastrophic. Tabloid or broadsheet: quantity or classiness - a tricky choice.

Not a tricky choice at all Derek as it purely depends on the site owner's policy.

If Warner's see this forum as a means of not only the free disemination of knowledge and experience to help and attract others and make themselves look good but also for publicising the group's various other products and services, the cost of providing a free and unrestricted forum may possibly represent a reasonable advertising spend per capita of audience actually reached?

I guess we will never know how much business Warners gain purely through this forum and it's links, but it hope that it is worthwhile for them?

As my copies stacked up and with nowhere really to store them I decided to clip out the interesting bits and put them in sections in plastic wallets and store them in a ring binder. This brought home to me that there isn't much I want to keep, but for the money I'll still keep subscribing for now because although I don't want to keep most of the magazine it's not a bad one to keep in the small room ;-)

Guest Tracker

Do you still cut it half or squares - depending on how big your hands are I guess - and hang it on a loop of string on a nail in the wee room wall Roger - although I doubt that the shiny varnished paper is much good for that purpose - then again if needs must etc!

At least you can get to read the small ads whilst you sit and wait!

As we have stated in past, but worth stating again, in our view MMM is much better now it is under the new editor. The old guy seemed very against any form of camping that did not involve "good" sites, whereas the new editor seems much more open to use of, for example aires, and puts more emphasis on continental touring. Why even old Andy Stohort mentions aires in the Dec issue! (and Andy why can you not use your card in the aires machine with no more worry than using at say a fuel station?).

Re this forum then it probably is best U.K. based motorhome forum and great that Warnners make it free to all even if that does seem to upset our old mate Derrick.

I don't agree with your comments about the previous editor, Mad Mick - remember that the campsite reviews are only possible from the recommendations sent in by contributors, if info on cheaper sites/aires/foreign sites aren't sent in, they can't be published.

Don't forget that some postings from this forum are actually used for in the magazine, so apart from what has already been said, that is another 'positive' for Warners by providing the forum for us nutters to use! :->

It is worth noting that most, if not all, of those who are being critical of MMM are long term motorhome (or caravan) owners and therefore it is understandable that some of the items in the magazine would not be of interest, as they are aimed more at the inexperienced motorhome owner who has 'questions' and wishes to gain knowledge. There are certain aspects which I'm not interested in, but there are other articles etc which I am, so I buy it - even now, with every issue I learn something new, be it about mechanicals, habitation, touring/holidaying etc. The knowledge I have gleamed over the years has proved invaluable, as has the help which I've received on this forum, and for that I am very thankful.

No matter how long we have all had motorhomes theres always room to learn more, whatever your experience.

My original post was to bring to light the over the top advertising throught the pages of MMM......whilst being a newcomer or an old hand.

Strange hey, still no word from the people who load it up with too much slippy toilet material ! ! !

Guest pelmetman

I've been reading the MMM for 30 years8-).........and I have even been known to buy one8-)

One thing I've noticed lately it seems to have slimmed down a bit, whether that's due to the recession or the fact that there is now 13 months in a MMM year8-)

I still find it interesting, especially the classic camper section:-D Oh, nearly forgot...... and Andy & Fag Ash;-)........That poor bloke what he has to put up with*-)......................:D

IMV it's irrelevant how many pages of advertising so long as the article content does not suffer.

If the No. of pages for Articles increases or remains static & the Advertising content doubles so what. (?)

There's no loss to the reader & if increased advertising eventually filters through to enable more article content everyone benefits.

I don't see Manu's point, there are very few magazines able to exist on Readers income alone & their costs are subsidised by advertising or does he want minimal advertising & a magazine price which will increase substantially (?) :'(

Manu - 2011-12-03 9:37 PM

No matter how long we have all had motorhomes theres always room to learn more, whatever your experience.

My original post was to bring to light the over the top advertising throught the pages of MMM......whilst being a newcomer or an old hand.

Strange hey, still no word from the people who load it up with too much slippy toilet material ! ! !

Why would they bother to respond? If they do, they'll get slated, if the don't, they'll get slated ... easy decision, they don't respond, still get slated, but have saved their energy!

Manu, if you are unhappy, you have the answer, just don't buy it .... simples! *-)

Archived