scooters/motorbikes

snail

Hi all, would like to hear from owners who either have a scooter in a garage or with a towbar type rack fitted on the back in particular

what type and model van?

what weight allowance your back axle has?

what type and weight of your scooter is?

Is the only way to carry a scooter is to have either twin rear wheels or three axle van? with huge payload?

can aftermarket racks be fitted to alko type chassis?

i am fully aware of all the trailer options available

makers seem generally to claim vans with garages can take 250 kgs, which is misleading i think they mean it is constructed strong enough to accept this weight but the axle loading may not allow it, is this correct?

thanks in advance brian

snail - 2011-12-12 9:40 AM

Hi all, would like to hear from owners who either have a scooter in a garage or with a towbar type rack fitted on the back in particular

what type and model van?

what weight allowance your back axle has?

what type and weight of your scooter is?

Is the only way to carry a scooter is to have either twin rear wheels or three axle van? with huge payload?

can aftermarket racks be fitted to alko type chassis?

i am fully aware of all the trailer options available

makers seem generally to claim vans with garages can take 250 kgs, which is misleading i think they mean it is constructed strong enough to accept this weight but the axle loading may not allow it, is this correct?

thanks in advance brian

I have carried a scooter for three years now. The van is a small Swift a 2008 530LP Sundance. Maximum weight on rear axle is 1900kg, this is up to near its maximun so I travel with no more that a quarter full water tank, SV Tech can upgrade my rear axle to 2000kg which if I keep van for one more year I may do. Scooter is a Honda Innova, dry weight 100kg, this to I may change next year. You certainly do not need twin rear wheels or axles, my payload is 525kg but again SV Tech can upgrade to 725kg but have so far found no need to do this. Racks can be fitted to Alko chassis, my chassis is not Alko but has Swift fitted Alko extensions. We are carefull with what we carry so are able to keep our payload legal. You will never regret taking a scooter, we cannot now even think about being without it. You will also get a lot of warnings about doing this on here by people who have no practical experience of this, all I would say is work out your weights and go ahead. One thing you may not consider by loading the rear axle you will take load of the front, the front axle loading must not be less than 40% of the total weight. If weights do not work out something like an Ezetow may be the answer, something I am also considering as I wish to buy a bigger and heavier scooter.

We tow a car and a motorcycle (Not at the same time!!) with our van but before going into all the weights and limits etc, I suggest you look at what you need then work to that target.

1) Your personal weights-this can alter what you need-see 2

2) Driving license-ie car for a moped scooter or Motorcycle for more powerful scooter/bike?

3) Size of garage-will it fit in?

When you have decided then work out the best way to take it along.

If you have a motorcycle license then you won't have a problem with size of scooter. If you only have a car license then you are limited to 50cc moped which will struggle with 2 up unless you are stick insects. Will be ok for pottering about on but uphil etc will struggle-also you won't have enough power to pull out of trouble should you need to.

Then the positioning of the garage and/or the positioning of a scooter rack outside will alter the weight on the back axle-further away from the wheels more the weight-then your payload becomes critical.

The alternative is a towbar & trailer. Although this does defeat the object a bit and frequently raises peoples opinions, it does work for us as we can decide which to take according to the weather forecast! Also it does not, as many say stop you using aires etc. We have never had a problem anywhere in Europe with having the bike or the toad on the back, on the contrary it has frequently been an ice breaker when people come across to talk to us and check out our outfit.

On the van size etc-we have a 2.8 Fiat which will easily carry a scooter up to 100kg in the garage or tow the bike or van with no strain and no difference in fuel consumption over a long journey. The toad is a C1 and the bike is a Bandit-220kgs

As the previous poster put there is certainly no need to have twin wheels or a tag axle to have a bike/scooter with you.

Hope this helps and maybe we'll see you on the road sometime

Mike

Chausson Flash 04 on ford transit

Carry a Piagio zip50cc scooter in the garage 90kg easily pushes up bespoke alluminium tread plate ramp

think garage payload is 150kg but not absolutely sure. If you were to have a 50cc scooter deristricted it would be fine for 2 medium build adults as long as 40mph on the flat and a slow journey up hills is acceptable (but hey who wants to go faster than that ?) The top box makes a huge diffrenece to usability and to mrs ips's feeling of safety and comfort. £60 ish insurance £15 tax and 70+ mpg depending on hills and head wind etc.

Hope that helps.

Archived