long term in croatia

mgain

We spent quite a lot of time in Croatia in late summer. I left quite a lengthy post on the topic.

I was surprised that most things tend to close towards the end of September and campsites shut. In view of this it would not be my first choice in the off season, but your requirements might be different.

H

It depends where you intend going, and what you are looking for. We went in autumn 2008. We were in Croatia from 5 September to 9 October and used a variety of sites, starting in Istria, and then down to Dubrovnik and back, using mainly the coast road, the Magistrala. We had no problem with campsite availability at that time.

Do be aware that coastal Croatia is subject to a number of fierce winds at times, from Rijeka pretty well all the way down the Dalmatian coast. There are a number of strong local winds (usually some variation on "maistral") but the real show-stopper is the Bora. It blows violently from the land out to sea, so always across the coast road, and can blow continuously for several days, after which it will quite suddenly stop. It can close roads and bridges, especially the motorway bridge at Jesenice, and can make driving a relatively high-sided vehicle like a motorhome quite "interesting"! The winds are not ever-present, but seem to blow-up at more or less any time, out of the blue. They could make journey planning a bit of a lottery if your van is susceptible to cross-winds. However, these winds are only occasional, and otherwise it is generally warm, often with pleasantly light breezes. There seemed little in the way of wind between the extremes.

Also, be aware that there are relatively few "beach" resorts, if that is what you are looking for. Most of the Adriatic coast is a steep slope from the mountains straight into the sea. It is spectacular, but a lot of the places are quite small and don't have a lot to offer. In many, the "beach" is a concrete shelf, constructed when Tito was in power in Yugoslavia, and they just wanted to fly in tourists for the foreign currency. You may find that these places run out of appeal quite quickly, and you want to travel on, rather than settling for any length of time.

Hi ... in May 2011, we visited Camp Simuni island of Pag, Croatia. It is a large site built into the trees on a beautiful beach and has a variety of pitches/cabins/residential caravans and numerous cafes/shops. It sounds very commercial but is in fact a very nice site. I'm sure they are open all year.

The pitches were terraced and the majority had a cold tap on pitch. Dumping facilities, wash ups and washrooms were good.

Worth a look on google or similar ....it might meet your needs. We spoke to a neighbour on site who had been wintering in Spain and were making their way home to UK (Couldn't quite work out the geography!!!) but they were there for some time. We arrived for a couple of days and stayed for five, which speaks for itself.

There was another large site near Simuni at a nearby town (name escapes me .. Novalja ?? which also looked like a long term potential for autumn/winter. Free WiFi in and around the cafes.

regards BobK

Archived