Lifers

Lord Braykewynde

There are 46 people in Britain serving life with no hope of getting out. Only one claims he is innocent, Jeremy Bamber. What is striking is out of those 46 there are 15 of them who have already spent time in prison for murder and have committed murder again on release. This goes to prove that the belief of the liberal wets is correct, prison isn't a deterrent. On the other hand maybe if they'd paid the ultimate price and been hung, or at the very least kept in prison until they died, 15 people would be alive today if it wasn't for our soft justice.

While I agree with LB's sentiments could I point out that just in the last couple of weeks or so Robert Black was convicted for the murder of Jennifer Cardy a girl in Northern Ireland committed in 1981. He is currently serving several life sentences for the murders of 4 young girls. My point is that if he had been hung as LB suggests then he would not have been around to be convicted of the murder of Jennifer Cardy. That might seem irrelevant as he is already in jail but it does allow closure for the girl's parents rather than only wondering what happened to their daughter. There are also other unsolved crimes to which he cold be connected and again, if he is not around, then closure can never really be achieved.

Black is not on the list mentioned but as his earliest release date is when he is 82, it is unlikely he will ever get there.

Lord Braykewynde - 2011-12-22 8:45 PM

if they'd paid the ultimate price and been hung, or at the very least kept in prison until they died, 15 people would be alive today if it wasn't for our soft justice.

I didn't say that they should be hung Dave hence the 'kept in prison until they died'. My point was, which I thought was obvious, that due to the Ken Clarkes of this world soft justice doesn't work. I also pointed out that only one claims his innocence but no doubt the number would rise by 100% if they knew they were for the drop. My feelings are for the 15 who died needlessly and their families. My heart also goes out to the numerous women that were raped by these ******** after being released from their original sentence.

That is what I call rough justice.

"and been hung". Seems clear enough to me. I am not a supporter of soft sentencing either but fortunately i do not have to make the decisions. Again, if we were not part of the EU (hint hint) then we may not have to spend so much money making our prisons like 5 star hotels, more like Newgate or Bedlam might be better.

However, we have the system we have and to change it significantly will take a lot of time and money, neither of which we have. Ken Clarke can spout what he likes but it is not gong to change too much. Up here they are probably even softer, against a lot of public opinion, but we voted for them, warts and all.

Guest Peter James

Only one claims he is innocent, .

Thats hardly surprising, since their only chance of getting out of jail is if they say they are guilty. Whether they are or not.

Before they are considered for release, they have to say they are sorry for their crime, which they cannot do if they are both innocent and honest.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2011-12-23 6:42 PM

Only one claims he is innocent, .

Thats hardly surprising, since their only chance of getting out of jail is if they say they are guilty. Whether they are or not.

Before they are considered for release, they have to say they are sorry for their crime, which they cannot do if they are both innocent and honest.

Mind you there is always the slight chance given the balance of probabilities, and the evidence that a jury considered at length to find them guilty 8-)......................................that they might actually be Guilty ;-)

Guest Peter James
Dave225 - 2011-12-22 10:06 PM

spend so much money making our prisons like 5 star hotels,

If the prisons are like 5 star hotels why do the prisoners apply for release?

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2011-12-23 7:15 PM

So they can get a fix :D

Probably because they can't get a legover inside? they can get everything else.

knight of the road - 2011-12-23 7:36 PM

Probably because they can't get a legover inside? they can get everything else.

Are you sure about that Malcolm :-)

In 2009 the ECHR under Article 8, yes THAT Article 8, stated that the UK must allow prisoners conjugal visits. Whether this has started I don't know but certainly artificial insemination has because of Article 8. More kids for the tax payer to keep ;-)

http://www.insidetime.org/articleview.asp?a=423&c=conjugal_visits

Peter James - 2011-12-26 4:53 PM

Lord Braykewynde - 2011-12-23 7:30 PM

My man just wrote this little piece for me :-)

http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/291559

You should get him to write something more accurate;

http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/world/3093-benefits-bonanza-means-increase-in-3d-tv-sales.html

Although that actual report is to be taken with a piece of salt I've got no doubt that it happens.

Keith Jones is the MD of PC World.

Archived