E Readers

fairweather camper

Hello All

I am thinking of buying a Kindle/E Reader, but i'm not sure which is the best, i've been told that you can only download on to a kindle from Amazon, is this right ?.

I only want to read books on it so don't need fancy gadgets, but i want one with a good battery life, and where i can get books free or very cheap (poor pensioner).

Any advise you can give me would be most appreciated.

Val

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

We have a Kindle, and find it excellent for reading, a lot easier than reading a book. You can download free books (they have 100 free to download) from Amazon on to your Kindle as well as other books which are far cheaper than the paperbacks, some are only 99p. The battery lasts for ages between charges. You can use other sources via a pc I am told

We Love ours, hope this helps a little........ Derek &Pauline

Margaret has had a Kindle for nearly a year now and she loves it despite being very sceptical when I first suggested it as a present. The new basic Kindle is about £89, unlike the older models it has a screen based keyboard. Margaret has a leather cover for hers because she wants it to feel more like a book. Mt son prefers his without a cover. All Kindles have WiFi so if you have a home network you just have to set it up to use your system. Margaret mainly useds Amazon to download books and there are lots available at quite low prices. There is software available to convert other formats before loading onto the Kindle so owning a Kindle should not disadvantage you. If you have not handled one before John Lewis sell them if you want to get the feel.

David

Hi Val

I have a Kindle with both 3G and Wifi. having both it is handy as I can pick up email and reply anywhere free of charge (as long as there is a 3G signal). It is a bit clunky doing it this way but saves looking for a hotspot or using roaming charges whilst abroad when all you want is to pick up email.

By downloading a free piece of software (Calibre) on to your computer you can change the format of most E books to the MOBI format and put the books on your Kindle. A search on fleabay will find sellers supplying discs with thousands of books on them which again you can put on a Kindle via the Calibre software. The software is easy to use and acts as a library for your books. You can also download books, mags and newspapers with it.

When using the Kindle with 3G / wifi on battery life is only a few days but it can be switched off when not in use and the battery life is extended considerably. It has to be said though that claims for 2months battery life are a bit ambitious. Note: the new Kindle at £89 has a smaller battery than the keyboard kindles and won't last as long without a charge.

Frankkia - 2011-12-29 12:48 PM

I have a Kindle with both 3G and Wifi. having both it is handy as I can pick up email and reply anywhere free of charge (as long as there is a 3G signal). It is a bit clunky doing it this way but saves looking for a hotspot or using roaming charges whilst abroad when all you want is to pick up email.

Just to add to Bernie's note, my wife collected emails for free on her Kindle throughout France this summer and even in the Caribbean last week. Yes, web browsing is not what it is designed for, but the ability to keep in touch without roaming charges is a great little plus.

I had a Kindle about a year ago and soon disgarded it. It is a great gadget if the books you want can be bought at the right price. While it is true their are hundreds of free books would you want to read any of them? I found the average price for books I wanted to read was about £4.00, far to much when I can buy them from charity shops for about 0.75p. Sure you save some space but this is not a problem for us. I would strongly suggest you go onto Amazon and look up the price of a few books you wish to read, you may get a shock. I have several friends who have e readers but when I have looked at them they all have a load of books I am sure they never read.

Guest 1footinthegrave
fairweather camper - 2011-12-29 12:02 PM

Hello All

I am thinking of buying a Kindle/E Reader, but i'm not sure which is the best, i've been told that you can only download on to a kindle from Amazon, is this right ?.

I only want to read books on it so don't need fancy gadgets, but i want one with a good battery life, and where i can get books free or very cheap (poor pensioner).

Any advise you can give me would be most appreciated.

Val

I have sent you a private message,just click on your inbox, hope you find the info useful, oh and as another poster mentions, the FREE software Calibre allows conversion of any ebook format to the Kindle format, so yes you can put Ebooks on to it without having to download them all from Amazon. P.S maybe Rupert123 will sell you his discarded one !

;-)

Nothing much I would add to the above, We have a both a Kindle (3G) and an Ipad (Not 3G)

All in all, If I had the money and the choice again, we would have two Ipads ! (and use the Kindle app !)

Kindle does what it says on the box, Internet usage & mail is very clunky.

For a read, the Kindle works, but bear in mind that the screen has no brightness or contrast settings, So reading at night needs a light.

Sitting wearing a head torch sems to be in vogue on some camp sites 8-)

Some cases for the Kindle are criminaly expensive, Maybe the Kindle is as well ?

However if you search for "Kindle Free" on Amazon, you do get a respnse of 26,555 books. And if you like older style books and writting styles, there is a wide choice for free, which is what you buy into when you get a Kindle.

Suits me (but an Ipad would do me well as well )

Rgds

PS Only to add that you are not restricted to Amazon for free Kindle books, try http://freeebooksforkindle.org/

Guest 1footinthegrave
I would echo the above as use for the internet is concerned in short forget it, if you buy the "cheaper" £89 version it excels as a book reader with no backlight and stunning battery life. Don't get confused between the differing technologies and Ipads etc, in my view if you want a replacement for the paper book there is no finer device on the market, we now have two. (lol)

when i looked at the reviews, there seemed little to choose from between the different makes, most of which can load free books from anywhere, without need of conversions, unlike the kindle. the sony seemed to be most favoured. in the end i was saved from the choice and the cost as my (badly sighted) missis found that she could download to her samsung s2, and it was easy to read.

I have had a basic Kindle for over 9 months and download using 'one click' from the Amazon store. Once it is set up, it is easy. I have only downloaded about 60 books at an average price of just under £3.

Amazon has too many books on offer to Kindle readers so it is very difficult to find the right book. You are spoiled for choice. The reviews help and I find them reasonably trustworthy.

Despite so many cheap books, do not buy an e-reader in the expectation you will save money. You won't. It is likely to cost you more if for no other reason you will download a lot of books but you will probably not buy as many in a book shop or charity shop.

Most of the free or cheap books have problems with the conversions. Usually this means errors in text. These are irritating but do not make any real difference to reading. Some of the books are very short, little more than a short story, and others are abridged versions. I find it harder to speed read. You need a source of light to read in the dark - you can buy lamps to fit or find some other method.

You can change the font size so that makes reading easier if you don't want to wear you spectacles. It is easy to hold in one hand and turnover over a page. The screen looks like paper. You can buy a sleeve to protect the e-reader [some are said to damage the screen cases, mine does not and is a Belkin neoprene sleeve].

Buy if you read a lot and do not want to carry around a lot of books or worry about having nothing to read. Worry less about whether you will miss the touch, feel, and smell of a book and accept you will and the compensation is that you can hold an e-reader in one hand, turn pages over, mark and refer back to bits of text, store hundreds of books at the tough of a button.

I use my e-reader every day. I will also pick up and read printed material.

I chose a Kindle for ease of use and the screen size.

tonyishuk - 2011-12-29 7:14 PM

Nothing much I would add to the above, We have a both a Kindle (3G) and an Ipad (Not 3G)

All in all, If I had the money and the choice again, we would have two Ipads ! (and use the Kindle app !)

The Kindle definitely does not compete with an iPad.

However, the email function on the Kindle is really useful as it is FREE all over the world (well we have used in Europe and the Caribbean) with no contract, no PAYG, no overseas SIM - it just piggybacks on local networks. Yes, it's not a PC/iPad but to collect/check/send a few mails without cost/fuss it works.

As Chris said -It isn't an Ipod or in fact an I anything and isn't intended to be.

The whole point is it is more like a real book and uses E ink. You don't get many books self illuminating either. It is easier to read for long periods - especially if you are a book worm like me and can devour a paperback in 1 sitting. If you were to read from an illuminated (back lit) screen for long periods you would suffer from eye strain and your battery would run down a darn site quicker than a Kindle. At least when you look at your back lit 'puter you often change focus and look at other things - not the same when you are reading a book.

I have an Archos which has many functions 1 of which is a "Laputa" app (an e reader) and has a 5" screen. I have tried it out as a reader but I much prefer the Kindle.

Before buying it I did a fair amount of research into other makes and models and decided on going the whole hog to get the extra functionality as many people who had bought more basic ones had regretted not getting the 3g version. Glad I did - why? Well I can download a copy of a UK newspaper whilst sitting on a beach in Spain. Get my emails at the same time and if someone tells me about the latest must read book I can get that too. I can even take a peek at the BBC web site and check on the local news and the weather back home. Bit slow and clunky but it is FREE.

Although a dedicated book worm I certainly won't be going back to paper versions any time soon. There are lots of books out there for free and not all of them are out of copyright old ones either. After getting a disk from a friend with thousands of books on it I whittled out the "love in a fish shop" and the ancient stuff and was left with about 2700 books on the Kindle - should keep even me going for a while.

Guest pelmetman

Currently in Biarritz B-) had no signal on my mobile until we arrived here *-) but the Kindle has worked everywhere. A great bit of kit but a bit fiddly for surfing ;-)

Only one drawback Sue keeps wanting to read books on it.........women eh? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think that was inevitable, someone has to pay the providers for the 3g service, and I'll bet Amazon have ended up with hefty "foreign" provider charges they never envisaged, and it always was from the outset described as "experimental", but the fact remains it is a fab bit of kit if all you want is to read and store books on the move,. ;-)

bolero boy - 2011-12-29 10:11 PM

tonyishuk - 2011-12-29 7:14 PM

The Kindle definitely does not compete with an iPad.

However, the email function on the Kindle is really useful as it is FREE all over the world (well we have used in Europe and the Caribbean) with no contract, no PAYG, no overseas SIM - it just piggybacks on local networks. Yes, it's not a PC/iPad but to collect/check/send a few mails without cost/fuss it works.

Words of encourage ! :-)

I will again and see how I get on, My first try was only a couple of hours after I opened my pressie !

Just to add comment to later comments, Amazon can change the terms of purchase at a snap of a CEO's finger (page 33348 para b of T&Cs (Wot you didn't read them ) :D

It seems that they have pulled the plug on a number of accounts, giving no reason, (If you can beleive anything on the internet)

Happy Kinde-ling

Happy New year to all

Rgds

Guest pelmetman
Didn't read the small print........didn't need to......I expect the plug to be pulled.......I put mine down as a business expense :D :D

Mel B - 2011-12-30 4:33 PM

Just having a browse round the web and came up with this news item ... now whether this is true or not I don't know but thought it might be worth someone checking it out if they intend to buy the new version.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/03/amazon-3g-browsing-kindle

Just looked at this link Mel, thank you, and then looked on Amazon where you can still buy the "old" keyboard model at £149. Presumably this one still allows 3G connection? Those of us with this old model will continue to be able to access all 3G services according to the article - hope so anyway as I find it most useful whilst travelling abroad.

Hi, you all seem to be quite happy with your Kindles,

we have a Sony prs600, yes i know it's just an e-reader, and you can't download without a pc, but we carry a pc anyway for other duties as most do these days.

anyway we have been using it for 12 months, have joined e-libraries (manchester) so can borrow 5 books at a time for 3 weeks at the end time they disapear back to library, if you finish them early you can send them back and get more or renew them, you can reserve them too

had trip of 6 months in uk worked out fine, wife reads 2-3 books a week so tested well!

not sure if you can do this with kindle, but thought i would make you aware of this option, google manchester library see for yourself

regards snail

snail - 2011-12-31 8:27 AM

anyway we have been using it for 12 months, have joined e-libraries (manchester) so can borrow 5 books at a time for 3 weeks at the end time they disapear back to library, if you finish them early you can send them back and get more or renew them, you can reserve them too

not sure if you can do this with kindle, but thought i would make you aware of this option, google manchester library see for yourself

regards snail

Snail

That sounds fascinating, what is the actual process? Do you download on line or do you have to visit the library? Are the loans timed to delete after a set time or is the onus on the lender to be responsible. Not quite sure how you 'send them back'

David

Hi David,

if you find their library site all details are on there, you have to register first and they send you a library card with your own no,on to use for access to library and be able to download, there is some software also which i suppose covers the sending back, which is automated at the end of borrowing time,

we don't live anywhere near, we only had to have a uk address, it's worth looking at others as i know our local library are looking at starting an e library,

we are certainly not computer orientated but have managed it so must be simples!

good luck with it

regards snail

My wife has had a Sony e reader for about 18 months & I've just brought myself one of the new cheap Kindle's for Christmas.

For reading not much between the two the Kindle has a 6" screen the Sony a 5" the one thing that sets them apart is the nice solid feel of the aluminium case on the Sony as opposed to the cheaper plastic Kindle you pays your money & takes your choice.

As said by others it is best to download books via Calibre, the Sony program is a bit naff and Amazon expect you to get everything from them.

The cost of ebooks appears to have come down a lot in the last few months and there are a lot of good new free ones out there, I assume they are trying to get people hooked into ebooks. I've downloaded and read 3 good novels since Christmas day one of them was published in October 2011.

When we first had the Sony we were disappointed to find virtually no travel books available that thankfully is changing fast, Lonely Planet have a lot of their range available to download on their site and you can buy individual chapters for £2.99 so you don't have to buy the whole book on France or Spain you can just get the chapters on the areas you are going to.

Brian's info about Manchester library sounds good, thanks Brian.

Archived