Is Facebook worth bothering with ???

fjmike

It has been suggested to me to create a Facebook page for Motorhomevalet.co.uk, but I'm not so sure whether it would be of benefit. Not having used Facebook I have no idea how many motorhome owners use it and would they think of using it to find out about my services??. Anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Hi Mike, we have a facebook page and while it doesn't bring loads of work in it costs nothing and is another way of letting people know where you are, what you do etc.

In edit, of course the real beauty of facebook is that as more "friends" like your page all of their "friends" will see it so it spreads in a viral form, well that's the theory anyway.

D.

I am (very) old school when it comes to sites like Facebook.

Too much information, links and personal information. The younger generation (well I am of that age where even senior policemen seem young *-) ) seem to offer snippets of information about their private life, photos of children and loves like confetti.

Nothing on the internet is secure, and the ability to hack into sites and misuse the information is a great attraction.

It it only takes one nutter to start "tracing" linkages, I am not talking about an autistic hacker, but a genecidal maniac who could be in charge of a country.

And there have been enough of those in history !

Rant mode over !

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-01-05 6:17 PM

I am (very) old school when it comes to sites like Facebook.

Too much information, links and personal information. The younger generation (well I am of that age where even senior policemen seem young *-) ) seem to offer snippets of information about their private life, photos of children and loves like confetti.

Nothing on the internet is secure, and the ability to hack into sites and misuse the information is a great attraction.

It it only takes one nutter to start "tracing" linkages, I am not talking about an autistic hacker, but a genecidal maniac who could be in charge of a country.

And there have been enough of those in history !

Rant mode over !

Rgds

Must say I'm with you on this, my daughter and some friends want me to go one it, but I don't think I could trust any of those sites. I've got through life ok up to now without the need of them.

Dave

Only information that you put into your facebook profile can be seen by others and you do have the option to restrict much of it to your "friends" so it is not publicly viewable. Having said that there was an occasion a while ago where a forum member was bragging (for want of a better word) about being difficult to trace, within half an hour I had his home address, mobile phone number, the name of his business and more besides. I managed this because he was(is) a "facebook friend" of someone who is also a "facebook friend" of mine so I tracked him down through that path.

D.

I use Face book just to browse, it's OK but  not great in my opinion, I guess that is because I don't use it's full potential, There is a place in Portugal called Chicken Run, someone has set up a private Campsite  and use Facebook to advertise it, lots of information on  there about the site and facilities and it is somewhere I intend to visit when next in Portugal, so I guess  it is a good medium for free  advertising so it might work for your Valet service, try it nothing to lose and all to gain .

I'm surprised to hear that some people still think of the internet as secure.

Back in March it was reported that hackers got into the Pentagon Defence Computer network and stole 24000 files.

If they can hack that I wouldn't imagine that Facebook is any more difficult to 'break into'

;-)

you don't have to put any personal information on facebook at all - if it's not there - noone can hack it.

I have been the victim of identity theft - resulting in me losing hundreds of pounds and having baliffs come to my door over a debt that wasn't mine. But that had nothing to do with the internet - this was thanks to a high street bank deciding i was the best match to a debtor who'd done a runner - 7 years later and i'm still having problems - Thanks a bunch RBS

Apologies for being off thread but I think this is relevant.

Facebook security? What do you think a hacker would find in a profile and/or their posts?

Well, if you've used your brains you'd find just the same as the info you put on here when signing up. E-mail address and your name.

If my Facebook profile and posts were hacked they'd learn my name and e-mail address. Nothing else.

Facebook is a thieves paradise for exploiting folk who choose to put all sorts of personal info on. But it's no different to on here.

I easily identified someones precise address from info posted on here. And no they didn't make it easy by plonking their basic details on either. They just posted various bits and bobs and my nosey nature did the rest.

So to anyone wetting their pants about Facebook security, fine, but your fate really is in your own hands.

Martyn

Dave Newell - 2012-01-05 6:51 AM

Hi Mike, we have a facebook page and while it doesn't bring loads of work in it costs nothing and is another way of letting people know where you are, what you do etc.

In edit, of course the real beauty of facebook is that as more "friends" like your page all of their "friends" will see it so it spreads in a viral form, well that's the theory anyway.

D.

Hi Dave , Can you please explain how the like bit works ?. daughter set hers up but it doesnt seem to give the option for customaers to like . Are we missing something .Same applies to the so many people are talking about this button What does that mean ? any clues

Thanks

LordThornber - 2012-01-05 8:07 PM

Apologies for being off thread but I think this is relevant.

Facebook security? What do you think a hacker would find in a profile and/or their posts?

Well, if you've used your brains you'd find just the same as the info you put on here when signing up. E-mail address and your name.

If my Facebook profile and posts were hacked they'd learn my name and e-mail address. Nothing else.

Facebook is a thieves paradise for exploiting folk who choose to put all sorts of personal info on. But it's no different to on here.

Excellently said sir

I easily identified someones precise address from info posted on here. And no they didn't make it easy by plonking their basic details on either. They just posted various bits and bobs and my nosey nature did the rest.

So to anyone wetting their pants about Facebook security, fine, but your fate really is in your own hands.

Martyn

;-)Excellently said sir

When I registered for Facebook initially, not long after I got a message to say someone had written on my wall .... I went onto Facebook and looked everywhere for something called the 'wall' .... never found it, when I asked a colleague I was told it was the main page ... so why call it a 'wall' ? *-)

There is such a lot of drivvel on there that I can't be bothered with it ... not when I can spend the time with you lovely lot dribbling instead! :D

Mel B - 2012-01-05 8:53 PM

When I registered for Facebook initially, not long after I got a message to say someone had written on my wall .... I went onto Facebook and looked everywhere for something called the 'wall' .... never found it, when I asked a colleague I was told it was the main page ... so why call it a 'wall' ? *-)

There is such a lot of drivvel on there that I can't be bothered with it ... not when I can spend the time with you lovely lot dribbling instead! :D

Mel, your wall is just your home page if you will, nothing to it really.

There is a lot of drivel on it, but you can filter it out easily, it's hugely improved in that department. Honestly there was probably no one more anti Facebook than myself but I joined essentially for Lady T whose colleague had gone to Australia.

Lady T couldn't be bothered, so I did it and really have never looked back. Made some great contacts, former schoolfriends, ex colleagues, friends, old neighbours etc etc.

I spend more time on there as I do on here now, particularly as the back biting has increased of late, (in my view).

Give it another go, I think it'll be up your street, good luck :-D

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...
A big thank you to all that have replied. I did post this question on another forum and it was suggested that it maybe better to have stickers printed with something like "This motorhome is kept clean by motorhomevalet.co.uk". I thought this a valid idea and had a look for what it would cost and it seems that I have to order them in thousands to get a decent price, I like to be busy but can't see me getting through that many stickers. The other thing is some motorhome owners may object to me putting stickers on their vans, even if they are small. Anyone have any thoughts on the above???

I agree I wouldnt want a sticker I hate them ...But thats just my opinion.. Just for your info only :D

My daughter via FB this week got asked to write as the resident Farrier for YOUR HORSE magazine .

Brilliant eh .. just shows what you can do with it . You have to work at it and there are days when we think bloodyhell been on this rubbish all day but again its starting to pay off.

Picked up quite a few customers on there ..

Good Luck

Guest 1footinthegrave

Not sure about it as a commercial vehicle, but I know that it has caused a terrible rift between my two daughters over some trivial comment one of the posted on it. Seems they are not the only ones that have had similar fall outs from talking to others either.

I've never registered on it, but I'm told that some people put really fascinating stuff on, like what they are having for dinner, 8-)

Archived