Invertor

Mr  Mrs Batty

Hi everyone,

I want to have an inverter fitted to make the most of 'free electric'. Still doing homework but thinking of hard wired inverter with internal illuminated switch inside our M.H. with it wired to one / two of the sockets for use when required.

We have a 130w solar panel and twin 110a leisure batteries so seems a waste not to use the electric generated as much as possible.

Have decided a 'pure' rather than modified inverter is the way to go. Havent decided on watts yet for output.

Does anyone have anything fitted like the above and if so are you pleased with the results ?

Thanks

Neil (Mr B) :-)

Guest Tracker

I fitted a 1000w inverter some time ago for use with low wattage gizmos but I installed a separate surface mounted socket for the inverter only rather than complicate it by wiring it into the mains circuit - mainly because I didn't know how mains current fed into the inverter 'backwards' might - or might not affect it - and I still don't know. No doubt someone who does will be along shortly.

Apart from a low wattage hair dryer we never use it as everything else works off 12 volts and I wouldn't bother again!

Yes and successfuly - but only for low wattage items like my laptop and mobile phones etc. I have a Waeco pure sine wave inverter hard wired via fuses to the batteries. Some inverters have a pass-through feature where a hook up automatically switches out the inverter but still supplies 230v to the same socket.

With my multiple low wattage items I find a '4-way' more usefully than a single socket. Some items like the phones are perfectly happy on 12v adapters but I've gone through quite few (especially for the laptop) over the years so now prefer to use the supplied mains power units via my inverter.

Big inverters are a bit of a headache due to the huge current they can draw. Bear in mind if going 20x the volts you'll pay for it as 20x the amps - a 1000W inverter can draw getting on for 90A so unless needing an occasional 800W travel hair drier or kettle for example it's best to stick to a small one, 300W covers most of my requirements. Domestic 2.4Kw hair driers are best avoided altogether!

Mine is a 600W continuous. Note continuous.

Some cheap ones say 600w on the box but will not start up with anything near that load. A cheap one will have a big noisy fan as well.

So, my tip is whatever you buy (600w suits us, for bike batteries charging, Laptop, 400w hairdyer, and the electric drill if I need it outside) buy a good one, Maplins do a good range and have excellent back up service if things go wrong.

I have a cheap 600w inverter on my garage shelf with blown output transistors, it lasted almost a week,

The supplier says that it's my fault for overloading it!

H

Thanks guys for your advise and help. I need to really think about what items we would use with it to get a suitable one.

Mrs B uses loads of hair 'stuff' and a travel iron, kettle etc etc etc, so would have to cope with that - I generally am happy with just a hand opperated bottle opener lol.

Thanks again - helps with my homework on the subject.

:-D

OMG no attacks over my spelling of 'inverter', pmsl ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have a 1200 watt unit connected with very short heavy duty cables, but it hammers the leisure batteries, our last set of 2 x 85 amp lasting less that one season before they were severely compromised in capacity. Main reason for purchase was to run a separate mains voltage TV and DVD player, now dumped them and got a 12 volt LED combined unit that only draws 1.5 amps. Now it will only be used to recharge the laptop if not on mains. I'd forget heavy duty loads like a hair dryers, tell her the windswept look is in fashion, and surely you have gas for the kettle ;-)

Mrs B needs to change over to using gas cartridge powered hair equipment - tongs, brush, straighteners etc - they heat up quickly and are easier to use than corded ones, and easier to store too. As for a hair dryer ... forget it, I suggest she gets one of the microfibre head turbans which are very good for taking the moisture out and then letting it air dry before using the powered equipment to finish it off whilst styling it. I've got a couple of the turbans (see below link for an example) but you can often find Pound shops are selling them:

Head turban

Kettle - use the gas, it's usually quicker anyway, and who the heck wants to iron on holiday!!!! *-)

If you really need to do things like ironing, I'd suggest booking into a site for a day and making use of their facilities, or at least their electric, doing your washing there anyway.

We have a 300/600w inverter and use it for the laptop, charging batteries, razor and the like. I did permanently wire one into a previous van but it meant that items could really only be used in the location of the outlet, whereas we have two 12v sockets, one at either end of the MH, so we can chose which one to plug the inverter into to use as needs/convenience dictates.

I've got an 1100 watt modified sinewave one that is in the battery compartment. When I need it it has a lead and plug that goes in mains inlet socket, I turn off the mcb in the consumer unit that supplies the electroblock unit, so that the battery's not trying to charge itself in a circle. It,s mainly used for my wifes hairdryer.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I cannot know how much the OP knows about this type of equipment,but should he try to use an appliance over the rated capacity of the inverter it will all end in tears, for example plug a domestic 2000 watt hair dryer in to a 1200 watt inverter, or even a 2000 watt one, and something will give. I believe there is an amount of headroom you should allow, the rated wattage of the appliance over the output wattage of the inverter, but in any event using high wattage devices will leave you with flat leisure batteries pretty quickly. You will also need some seriously heavy duty, and short cabling, unless you like to smell of burning plastic if you attempt to run high wattage stuff.

We go on to a site for the occasions the wife needs to do her hair, or God forbid a bit of ironing, and leave the inverter for very light duty stuff ;-)

Mel B - 2012-01-05 9:39 PM

Mrs B needs to change over to using gas cartridge powered hair equipment - tongs, brush, straighteners etc - they heat up quickly and are easier to use than corded ones, and easier to store too. As for a hair dryer ... forget it, I suggest she gets one of the microfibre head turbans which are very good for taking the moisture out and then letting it air dry before using the powered equipment to finish it off whilst styling it. I've got a couple of the turbans (see below link for an example) but you can often find Pound shops are selling them:

Head turban

Kettle - use the gas, it's usually quicker anyway, and who the heck wants to iron on holiday!!!! *-)

If you really need to do things like ironing, I'd suggest booking into a site for a day and making use of their facilities, or at least their electric, doing your washing there anyway.

We have a 300/600w inverter and use it for the laptop, charging batteries, razor and the like. I did permanently wire one into a previous van but it meant that items could really only be used in the location of the outlet, whereas we have two 12v sockets, one at either end of the MH, so we can chose which one to plug the inverter into to use as needs/convenience dictates.

Thanks Mel - really useful. We are going 'long terming' from August onwards and do want to use the free electric from the solar panel as much as possible. Lesley (Mrs B) has got a couple of those turban thingys made of micro fibre stuff which seem to be really good. First time she came out of the shower though I thought she was a terroist and nearly shot her !!!

Will pass on your comments regarding the hair items as well - does follow on from Sparkles thread so I guess Mrs B will have no problem buying loads of new things as you and Kathy have now suggested it lol.

Neil (Mr B )

You are better served by using arc welding cable to connect the inverter to the batteries as it is made for high amperages and is very flexible, being multi stranded.

Guest pelmetman
We have just a cheap Halfords special which I use to charge laptop mobile phones whilst on the move, I made what I call the gadget stack to hold them all in place whilst we motor :D ,,,,,,,,,,,the pic is of the mark one version covered in leather..........big mistake everything slid our *-)..........now have the mark two covered in suede much better ;-)

DSCN2067web.jpg.3e884fce28308da414b69a6d82ef99de.jpg

An odd interesting bit of inverter info: Waeco, makers of assorted inverters of repute, tested modified sine against pure sine wave inverters to power a microwave. Their techies found that the modified sine units seemed to work perfectly well - but cooking/heating times were significantly extended - by up to double the cooking/heating times with a pure sine input.

Our van has a 1800w inverter fitted by Moore Power. When switched on It will try and power all the electric appliances and sockets if we leave them switched on.

We use it on rare occasion but I usually manage to forget to switch the electric water heater off as the switch is in the wardrobe. When this happens, after about 5 seconds the inverter complains vigorously by giving off a high pitched whistle . I assume it is testament to the quality of the inverter that I have not burnt it out.

To be honest if my dear wife did not need it for her heated rollers I could be tempted to get rid of it as I value the weight saving this would give as we travel on the edge of the max weight limit.

We have a similar solar panel and batteries as Neil, (the OP) so my advice would be that if you have a definite need for an inverter then have one fitted but consider all the alternatives first. 12volt free electricity is as rewarding as free 230 volt electricity.

I have a 480 Watt folding hairdryer along with gas straighteners and hotbrush. I am hoping that OH will fit me a 1000 Watt Inverter so that when we are on Aires I can still have a decent hairstyle. (I wont hold my breath though :-S )

We have 2 x 100Ah leisure batteries that we want to run it off.

Picked up some good tips on here - like the isolator switch - thanks for the info.

pelmetman - 2012-01-06 8:35 PM

We have just a cheap Halfords special which I use to charge laptop mobile phones whilst on the move, I made what I call the gadget stack to hold them all in place whilst we motor :D ,,,,,,,,,,,the pic is of the mark one version covered in leather..........big mistake everything slid our *-)..........now have the mark two covered in suede much better ;-)

Thanks for that Dave - yes everything sliding about is always a problem. In your piccy is that 'money' attached to the cable ??? If so be careful as according to a previous thread if you go anywhere near Spain you will have your head chopped off and everthing stolen as soon as you cross the boarder !

Thanks for your help

:-D :-D

Clive - 2012-01-06 10:35 PM

This is what I did for our previous van. http://www.motts.org/INVERTER.htm

The present van has a pure sine wave 1500 watt jobbie which is a tad OTT for charging the phone!

C.

Thanks Clive - I have run a copy of the link off and looks like just the job we had in mind. Not overley good on electrics and will be getting it fitted by a dealer.

:-)

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-10 11:05 AM

Thanks for that Dave - yes everything sliding about is always a problem. In your piccy is that 'money' attached to the cable ??? If so be careful as according to a previous thread if you go anywhere near Spain you will have your head chopped off and everthing stolen as soon as you cross the boarder !

It can't be money ... he wouldn't know what to do with it!!!! (lol)

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-10 11:10 AM

The present van has a pure sine wave 1500 watt jobbie which is a tad OTT for charging the phone!

C.

Thanks Clive - I have run a copy of the link off and looks like just the job we had in mind. Not overley good on electrics and will be getting it fitted by a dealer.

Installation isn't difficult if you only intend to plug into the inverter socket outlet itself rather than have it wired into separate sockets in the van - it is a matter of attaching the cables correctly/securely and having an in-line fuse, ideally with a simple on/off switch too. The difficult part is remembering to turn it off when you don't need it! :$

I wired it in as above in one of our previous vans but we find it much more useful to be able to change the position of the inverter to where it will be most useful/usable/out of the way etc, hence the reason why I haven't wired it in this time. It also means that if the inverter ever 'dies', which they some times do, we can easily swap it for a new one without a lot of faffing about - we have let others borrow it too, to use in their own vans to charge up their phones, batteries etc when the need arose.

Mel B - 2012-01-10 10:10 PM

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-10 11:10 AM

C.

Installation isn't difficult if you only intend to plug into the inverter socket outlet itself rather than have it wired into separate sockets in the van - it is a matter of attaching the cables correctly/securely and having an in-line fuse, ideally with a simple on/off switch too. The difficult part is remembering to turn it off when you don't need it! :$

I wired it in as above in one of our previous vans but we find it much more useful to be able to change the position of the inverter to where it will be most useful/usable/out of the way etc, hence the reason why I haven't wired it in this time. It also means that if the inverter ever 'dies', which they some times do, we can easily swap it for a new one without a lot of faffing about - we have let others borrow it too, to use in their own vans to charge up their phones, batteries etc when the need arose.

Hi Mel thanks for the reply. Our 'baby' is due a service / habitation check in February and thats when I want to have it fitted. Sort of going with a new socket with 12v from the batteries and an illuminated switch to change this to be fed from the inverter when required. I have room in the leisure batteries compartment for the inverter itself. Still not totally decided but the advice and help on here has been invaluable. - Thanks again.

Oh bye the way please can you send me £50 as Mrs Batty (Lesley) has read your advice regarding hair appliances and wants everything new now !! lol I have suggested the G.I. Jane shaved head look which was not totally received as a good idea !

:-D

Archived