Anyone used the tunnel recently?

Patricia

I am travelling by the tunnel next week especially because it should be less stressful for my young puppy as I will be beside her. I have now been told that since the fire passengers have to travel in a separate carriage. Can anyone confirm this?

Don't worry,the crossing is only 35 minutes,sometimes less.Our Jack Russell just dozes,as we do,with the gentle rocking of the train.We always travel by tunnel now,either by car or in the motorhome;have never got out of either in the tunnel.Enjoy your trip.

Mandy&Andy - 2012-01-08 6:37 AM

I can find no reference to this anywhere, what are fire passengers.

New pet scheme out this month you may already be aware of

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/pets/PET-travel-scheme-checklist-after-01-jan-2012/

other than that I can see no changes to their format of staying in van at all times.

Mandy

Oooopps, sorry, I forgot the comma after "fire"!

Frequent traveller acc still works out @ £96 return for motorhome. How doe's that compere with standard return rates ? even if you did not use all 5 returns in 12 months £390 up front then extra £18 return for motorhome. We have used Frequent Traveller acc for the past 3 years because of the convienience of use obviously not so good if you are not retired.

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2012-01-08 9:09 AM

Thanks to you all - looks as if that was a false rumour then. At least I hope so.

Patrica, you stay with your vehicle that is a definite. If still unsure call them....

I used to get the frequent traveller but we now vist 3 times at most so it does not make sense. Summer return was £120 before christmas now £132 so creepin up *-)

Patricia we have travelled through the tunnel for the last six years and one of our Sons travells with his car about three trips a year as he has a house there :-S he has never mentioned having to leave his vehicle and we certainly havent , if anything happened where you would need to leave your car I dont think your puppy would be distressed as Im sure he would walk with you.

The only time I have had to vacate my vehicle was when I travel with the lorry on the freight train the mini bus drives along the platform and stops to pick up each driver and takes you to the passenger carraige at the head of the train where you sit in comfort  throughout the journey and then when you arrive the mini bus picks you up again and drops you off beside your lorry all in 35 minutes great service.

kelly58 - 2012-01-09 8:50 AM

The only time I have had to vacate my vehicle was when I travel with the lorry on the freight train the mini bus drives along the platform and stops to pick up each driver and takes you to the passenger carraige at the head of the train where you sit in comfort  throughout the journey and then when you arrive the mini bus picks you up again and drops you off beside your lorry all in 35 minutes great service.

This may very well be the root of this rumour - thank you. The person who told me must have been misled. I have not used the tunnel with a car for many years, nor with my motorhome since the fire, but have always remained in the vehicles.

Thanks to everyone for your information - will rest easy now. Puppy is still at the very chewy age so was concerned for the state of the car as well as her wellbeing! She will be travelling in a harness but could still do damage to the seat if left unattended.

JudgeMental - 2012-01-08 11:55 AM

Patricia - 2012-01-08 9:09 AM

Thanks to you all - looks as if that was a false rumour then. At least I hope so.

Patrica, you stay with your vehicle that is a definite. If still unsure call them....

I used to get the frequent traveller but we now vist 3 times at most so it does not make sense. Summer return was £120 before christmas now £132 so creepin up *-)

That's surprising Eddie, the cheapest I've ever found it is £66 each way, £132 return .... 8-)

kelly58 - 2012-01-08 9:07 AM

Frequent traveller acc still works out @ £96 return for motorhome. How doe's that compere with standard return rates ? even if you did not use all 5 returns in 12 months £390 up front then extra £18 return for motorhome. We have used Frequent Traveller acc for the past 3 years because of the convienience of use obviously not so good if you are not retired.

We usually pay £132 return (no additional cost for motorhome):

3 trips: £132 x 3 = £396

4 trips: £132 x 4 = £528

5 trips: £132 x 5 = £660

And the best bit is that it only costs us a third of the above due to us using our tesco vouchers!

I assume the extra £18 return for the motorhome is per trip, so for the frequent traveller deal it would be:

3 trips: £390 plus 3 x £18 = £440

4 trips: £390 plus 4 x £18 = £462

5 trips: £390 plus 5 x £18 = £480

With the frequent traveller there is the convenience of being able to book when you want but unless you are going to use at least 4 or more trips, and haven't got the Tesco vouchers to use, but I can't see the benefit really, but that's just me.

:$

Guest JudgeMental

Mel, since I stopped using "frequent traveller" a couple of years ago have never payed more then £120.

If you look again there are crossings for £61. CC can save a further £10 but not sure abut using them as changing crossings I seem to remember reading a bit more complicated....

We may be down that way over Easter fancy a meet? :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-01-09 1:54 PM

Mel, since I stopped using "frequent traveller" a couple of years ago have never payed more then £120.

If you look again there are crossings for £61. CC can save a further £10 but not sure abut using them as changing crossings I seem to remember reading a bit more complicated....

:-D

I have booked my outward crossing through the CC but only saved £5. I had also left it a week too late so instead of £48 it cost me £53. Normal price would have been £58. This is only for a car though. With Sea France's demise today I suspect that prices will rise again so I had better start planning my return.

Frank all the carriers charge for dogs and some much more than others. Eurotunnel only charge for the return from the continent ie.£30 but P & O charge £15 each way. Dearer on the Western Channel though.

I think they justify this because they have to check the dog's chip (but in reality they had you the machine and you have to do it!) and also the dog's passport. Daylight robbery really!

Mel B - 2012-01-09 3:30 PM

Ha! I've found a £61 one ... I had to look in October though! Don't know if there are any more before then. :-D

There certainly were! Going on a Saturday in May at 2.20pm and returning on a Sunday in early July at 8.20am, and again on a Thursday in August at 7.50am and returning on a Sunday early October at 8.20am. All booked in October and November using Tesco vouchers, so costing the grand total of £2 per trip!

Never paid more than the £61 each way, that seems to be the cheapest available for motorhomes.

Archived