Political correctness again

Lord Braykewynde

1957 v 2011

Scenario:

Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.

2010 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

Scenario:

Trevor won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Trevor sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Trevor given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD. Trevor's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School gets extra funding from government because Trevor has a disability.

Scenario :

Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2010 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Guy Fawkes, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up an ant nest.

1957 - Ants die.

2010- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary . Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison and being added to the sex offenders list. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Pisses me right off .... Makes me sick actually we really have screwed up the kids .

Whats wrong with good old common sense and saying no to a child . DONT GET ME STARTED !!! I don't do PC very well BUT I admit I don't intentionally go out of my way to offend people .

However sigh ................. I always seem to upset so called professionals and the reason is ... They can't seem to take straight talking . Me lets cut the crap and lay your cards on the table come on spit it out , just say it .... they pussy foot around with big words. I wouldnt be awarding them the kite mark for crystal clarity :D I don't know why as adults people take offence ? I mean I am not sitting there cursing I am just plain talking what you see is what you get , atleast I won't go behind their backs .

Shame my big gob gets me in trouble I am not well liked , over the years I have lost numerous nights of sleep NOT :D

So why do they see forthrightfulness as AGRESSION ?... can anyone answer that seriously ?

Michelle

Not many people can understand just what we are feeling or really trying to say.

They think it is kinder to wrap the truth up in fancy words and that will make it easier for us but all it does is infuriate us because we KNOW and we want the truth

Oh Syd ...On the nail everytime .. patronising hypocrits .. I hate it and wish it wasnt my job OR sometimes I find myself just wishing I was at retirement age with only fred & rose and I could tell em all where to go .. :D Maybe then they will get my true measure :-) NO sod em not lowering myself to their level. :D

michele - 2012-01-14 12:30 AM

Whats wrong with good old common sense...

..Unfortunately,it's nowhere near as "common" as it used to be,is it?... :-|

It does make you wonder where all this "pussy footing" guff, has actually come from?....and just why authorities and organisations etc,can't just let people conduct themselves as grown ups?... *-)

I believe this ethos of those in some sort of power inflicting rules on others does come from a certain type of individual that is either attracted to that "sort of job" or possibly that this "sort of job" is the only employment available to them.

As just one example - a couple of years ago Panorama ran a great programme on gravestones and how some councils had teams of "Gravestone Topple Testers" to test if gravestones were safe.

If they felt they were "unsafe" then they staked them - causing yet more damage and making the area even less safe for visitors.

According to the report, councils spent about £2M of taxpayers money on this debacle and nobody within the Local Councils ever saw fit to ask if this was necessary, good value, or in any way sensible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5177867/Councils-spend-nearly-2-million-testing-grave-stones-for-health-and-safety.html

Sadly having bounced up against these types of people before, my personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that Political Correctness - whilst not called that by these people - is their shield behind which they stand when people ask them to justify silly and stupid actions.

As I say - they do not tend to use the term PC - but EU rules and 'elf and safety are often cited as the driver. Usually wrongly if you delve into it.

But overall "being politically correct" is an enormous attraction to certain personality types.

But Clive surely,that example you give(..spending time and money of wonky headstones),is again, nothing to to do with being "PC"... :-|

The term "PC" *generally* means,to not cause deliberate offence to someone(.usually based on ethnicity/gender etc)..and I wouldn't have thought that making sure that headstones didn't fall over onto someone,fell(?) into that defininition..

In your example,I would think it was maybe just the incorrect interpretation of H&S guidelines/directives... :-S

(..unless of cause there is some obscure religious sect,who's ancient texts state that is deeply offensive to their god, "The Great Perpendiculas",to have wobbly headstones! (lol) (lol) )

Guest pelmetman
Pc....H&S......all part of the same problem *-).............They have done little apart from make lucrative work for lawyers and create a nice Public sector non job for themselves............Funny how actually making things now days is a minority occupation 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-01-14 10:51 AM

Pc....H&S......all part of the same problem *-).............They have done little apart from make lucrative work for lawyers and create a nice Public sector non job for themselves............Funny how actually making things now days is a minority occupation 8-)

Yep,very much agree with you....but they are still two,different things.. ;-)

.(..someone on here the other day was even blaming "PC madness" for the amount of money landowners were getting paid, for having wind turbines?! *-) )

Having said that,I was watching a news item yesterday,discussing proposals for Head teachers to be able to dismiss poorly performing teachers easier....and up pops this bl**dy daft woman(sorry!.."spokesperson")..and the first thing that she starts bleating about,was how this would be used to dismiss black and disabled teachers?!... eh!?! 8-)

..She was totally missing the point all together!...and instead had just seemed to have just switched to some sort of default, "..but what about the minorities?..." setting... :-S

pepe63 - 2012-01-14 11:13 AM

Yep,very much agree with you....but they are still two,different things.. ;-)

.(..someone on here the other day was even blaming "PC madness" for the amount of money landowners were getting paid, for having wind turbines?! *-) )

If you are referring to the point I made it was because they were being paid to turn them OFF and I'm sorry pepe but I think it is you who is wrong. Political correctness encapsulates diversity, ethnicity, health & safety, blame culture etc. It has it's tentacles into all of this.

Like others, I believe that those who are to blame are those in some kind of authority, empire builders I call them, who have nothing better to do than sit there and think up stupid regulations which impact on others lives. Take Chief Police Constables for example. Most are ok but one or two make all of them look stupid. Those in town halls or certain government departments, some head teachers, right down to the office Hitler, all have an input into stupid regulations. It had just started to appear in the ambulance service while I was there but thankfully I got out in time else I would have ended up being sacked. They, the jobsworths, in their stupidity, see it as a mark of how they have improved others lives but sadly it's only now that the vast majority of people have begun to challenge them. Even Cameron says things will change and I suppose he is making a start by passing laws to make the thieving ambulance chasing lawyers a thing of the past but the banning of political correctness isn't happening fast enough for the majority.

Well,if my rough interpretation of the phrase "Politically Correct" is..well..incorrect,someone better tell this lot then..... ;-)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/politically+correct

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/political-correctness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

http://dictionary.babylon.com/political%20correctness/

..and sorry but I still can't see any link between how much someone gets paid when their windturbine is switched off and being "PC" ? :-S (..That would surely be down to what ever legal contract had been drawn up and any inaccuracies/anomolies within it..)...

You certainly have a point Pepe - because I would agree that a classic example of being "PC" would be the chap that admonished me for wanting "white" coffee when this idiot thought that the correct (political) term would be "with milk".

However, PC is more than just this nonsense - it is very much where the politically correct embelish and gold plate rules to give themselves power, job justification etc.

As such being PC is now more descriptive of stupidity such as Local Councils employing "Headstone Topple investigators" because some idiot has used and abused "elf & safety" to inflict a politically correct ideal on us.

The links you give - some of them are too simplistic to be of any use - but the Wiki one is fair:-

"Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent"

I would say that the Tombstone Topplers" would come under "ideas" and/or "policies" inflicted upon us to "an excessive extent".

CliveH - 2012-01-14 1:55 PM

You certainly have a point Pepe - because I would agree that a classic example of being "PC" would be the chap that admonished me for wanting "white" coffee when this idiot thought that the correct (political) term would be "with milk".

However, PC is more than just this nonsense - it is very much where the politically correct embelish and gold plate rules to give themselves power, job justification etc.

As such being PC is now more descriptive of stupidity such as Local Councils employing "Headstone Topple investigators" because some idiot has used and abused "elf & safety" to inflict a politically correct ideal on us.

I think I'm with Pepe on this.

Seems to me what we need is a new term which reflects such stupidity as employing " headstone topple investigators "

Saying they are ' PC ' is being too kind to them.

( Unless of course PC could be interpreted as ' Plonkers on the Council ' )

;-)

I do not disagree Malc

Here in Hampshire a few years ago hedges were allowed to grow above the metre high the rules state and cyclists were knocking over pedestrians where they wizzed round blind corners.

So cycle bars (two staggered metal hoops) were fitted accross the path as well as "cycling banned" signs put up everywhere. Trouble was on the other side to the hedge was just grass - the the cyclists just whizzed round them and ignored the signs!

Then Local Councils had to increase the number of cycleways so guess what!! - all the metal hoops suddenly disapeared and the signs were taken down and thye council proudly states that it has increased the amount of cycle paths by "x" amount.

Pedestrians still get knocked for six but thye cycle path target has been reached so who gives a toss about a few old ladies and the odd child?

Then we had the railings put up in the walkways of the main town car park to channel pedestrians away from the cars. They were placed too close together to allow supermarket trollies through and so after nearly £40,000 was spent putting them up, another £40,000 was spent taking them out and repairing the surface.

Just as well we tax payers have got deep pockets.

>:-(

CliveH - 2012-01-14 2:21 PM

Just as well we tax payers have got deep pockets.

>:-(

I think, "spending someone else's money", is at the root of most of the nonsense that takes place...

Be it local councils..the NHS..the MoD.. all of them with their made-up roles,their convoluted processes and jobs taking months or years longer than they should do etc...

It just wouldn't (or couldn't!)happen,if "they" were funding it all themselves....

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-01-14 2:46 PM

It just wouldn't (or couldn't!)happen,if "they" were funding it all themselves....

100% correct :-D................Just imagine not being able to eat or pay your mortgage unless you have earn't enough (lol)...........Welcome to the real world of the self employed ;-)

PS.............Sat in the sun after a nice bbq...........

B-)

CliveH - 2012-01-14 9:15 AM

As just one example - a couple of years ago Panorama ran a great programme on gravestones and how some councils had teams of "Gravestone Topple Testers" to test if gravestones were safe.

If they felt they were "unsafe" then they staked them - causing yet more damage and making the area even less safe for visitors.

According to the report, councils spent about £2M of taxpayers money on this debacle and nobody within the Local Councils ever saw fit to ask if this was necessary, good value, or in any way sensible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5177867/Councils-spend-nearly-2-million-testing-grave-stones-for-health-and-safety.html

I had a sort of run in with the supervisor of our local cemetery. His team were 'Testing' gravestones for safety, two burly lads pushing & pulling on a headstone. I quipped that that was the reason why they were falling over, I then got a lecture of how & why doing this was in the interest of public safety, he made a point that this policy could save my life, if the headstone was unsafe being next to my grandparents grave it might fall over and kill or seriously hurt me, fair point I suppose. I then pointed out that once upon a time they would cut the grass with petrol lawnmowers which was pushed round by the staff, now they have small tractors that they sit on with grass cutting attachment's on the back, and that the combined weight of the driver and attachments when going over graves were the main cause of the graves subsidence therefore making the headstones unsafe.

So, enter health and safety lecture. "Pushing powered grass cutters could infect very serious injuries on our staff, ie, back problems, muscle strain etc, etc, plus it was far quicker to do and more cost effective," I think the clue there is COST..!! and I told him so. He seemingly was a bit upset about this last remark so I thought I would throw in my thoughts on the little mechanical digger a few yards away that was digging a new grave. For stability they have stabilisers on them, this one was right behind another headstone making a depression behind the stone, which I pointed out to him and said "there's another reason why they fall over." I think by this time he was getting a bit pi$$*d off with me by saying that his men's safety was paramount and digging graves up-to 8' deep was very dangerous and hard work for grave diggers when graves were excavated by spade, I agreed with him, but I was now being a bit mischievous saying "hard work never hurt anyone" untrue of course, as it did my back in.

I then asked him how many workers had died digging graves since the cemetery opened in 1865 with a total of about 65000 bodies buried there. He then asked me to leave as it was disrupting the work his staff was trying to do 8-)

It's the first time I've been kicked out of a cemetery. *-)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-01-14 3:40 PM

Dave

Yeah ;-).............I always had you down as a trouble maker Dave (lol) (lol) (lol)

pepe63 - 2012-01-14 1:34 PM

Well,if my rough interpretation of the phrase "Politically Correct" is..well..incorrect,someone better tell this lot then..... ;-)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/politically+correct

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/political-correctness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

http://dictionary.babylon.com/political%20correctness/

..and sorry but I still can't see any link between how much someone gets paid when their windturbine is switched off and being "PC" ? :-S (..That would surely be down to what ever legal contract had been drawn up and any inaccuracies/anomolies within it..)...

I agree with pepe But for the sake of turning this into a spat lets keep it light .

I also know exactly what Lord is trying to say .. lets night fight guys on a nice thread where it makes interesting reading. And just because I have picked up your quote does not mean I am aiming this at you ;-) I just saying its good so lets not spoil it . oh sod the lot of ya :D :D :D :D it never comes out right on paper *-)

Oh dave you made me laugh , Kicked out of a dead end place hahahahahah.

What about me then ... No equiptment until just now finally after all these years and even then it was still a fight had to get the solicitor in on the job.

Anyway school send the little one home in a hoist webbing (good for them protect their staff ) .

Me what the hells this to school knowing full well what it is BUT I aint got one .

Yes Michele can you leave iin her chair please ?

Me why being arkward I don't stop for breath especially as the bloody PC health and safety and o/t's and physios are actually based in the school . Oh I see protect your staff but sod me 8-) I been doing it for years why shouldnt your staff . Well H&S and sickness ...oh get stuffed >:-)

pelmetman - 2012-01-14 3:55 PM

nowtelse2do - 2012-01-14 3:40 PM

Dave

Yeah ;-).............I always had you down as a trouble maker Dave (lol) (lol) (lol)

Use to drive concrete mixers years ago, went up to local cemetery with a load once ( work being done at the chapel of rest)

Said to the ganger, "right , show me the ones that keep escaping" :D :D

Dave

Archived