South of France in April?

Madmaggott

Last year we started our 6 week holiday in France at the end of April and found that we were very restricted because it was too hot in the afternoon for our dog so are thinking of bringing this year's trip forward by a month.  Can anyone advise whether we are more likely to encounter excessive wet weather by doing this?  I know no-one can predict with total accuracy but what have others found at this time of year?

Given the choice I'd rather be sitting under the awning for shade than sheltering from the rain!

Before anyone suggests it; no, leaving her behind for 6-7 weeks is not an option.

You never can tell, it's not on a time clock. We were there May/June and as you say, it was hot and lovely. Yet it rained solidly for the best part of the next month, according to my son who lives there.

Plus the other issue, depending where you are, is the Mistrale. I've had that early, late, and high summer,

You takes your chance. It is not usually too hot in April, at least it can be on the odd day, depends what you call hot. If you find it too hot, there's always the mountains.

Even in the south of France spring weather is unpredictable, in late March 2010 we were in deep snow at Arle.

Its usually a bit cooler in the hills although on occasions with the icy Mistral blowing on the Med we have headed up into snow in the Pyrenees where it was much nicer.

I am no dog expert but have you considered having her coat trimmed/thinned before you go.

We've been discussing this today and I think we're going to 'split the difference' and go just 2 weeks earlier than last year and hope for the best.

We do clip the dog's 'undercarriage' before we go so that she can at least get a bit of a cooling breeze on her tum.  She's a breed that should not be clipped as the coat does not grow back very nicely.   Last year we tended to go for our walk in the morning and get back by lunch, leasurely lunch under the awning and a bit of a snooze whilst it was too hot to be out and about, then another walk in the early evening. 

We are discussing whether to leave her with her 'aunty' when we go to france again in Sept which would allow us to do the tourist thing in the towns and to get lunch out sometimes.  Not sure if I can bring myself to be without her for that length of time though!

However, it is as much a case of where you go, as when. If the south (but where?) is too hot, might an alternative be to stay further north, or to move around so as to avoid extremes of heat?

As a general rule, if you head for the hills, it gets cooler, and much of southern France has quite substantial hills to the north, be it the southern Alps, the eastern Pyrenees, or the Cevennes and the Causses along the southern edge of the massif. The Mediterranean climatic belt in France is actually quite narrow because of these highland areas, albeit it extends up the Rhone valley to Valence.

The bigger practical problem is likely to be the variation in weather year on year where, whatever the averages say, it can be sharply warmer, or cooler, than expected. Find WiFi and use the Meteo France website to keep in touch with the weather as you go seems the best strategy, albeit it may not harmonise with your preferences as to destinations.

Guest 1footinthegrave
You are obviously putting your pet first in all of this, and denying yourselves at the same time. Don't even think of discussing it with "aunty" for your September trip, do it, your pet will thank you for it. We used to drag our Labrador around with us years ago, what a bind, she dictated everything, but only came to realise that in later years by which time many opportunities were missed. We do occasionally "dog and house sit" for folk, the dogs never miss their owners for a second, and as soon as din dins comes out that's the end of any loyalty. And the owners can go off free as a bird to do their thing. Mind you with one couple last year it was Kenya

It's me that wants the dog with us.  She is perfectly happy to stay with our friends who love her and treat her as their own.  The trouble is that I miss her being with us.

We've gone without her once and taken her once.

We spent most of the time last year in the foothills of the Alps and were very lucky with the weather, only having 4 wet days in 6 weeks.  Yes, we could keep the van cool with all blinds down but I won't leave the dog in a dark van so we sit out with her whilst it's very hot.

As I said above, I think we'll take her in the spring and leave her in Sept. (Perhaps).

Archived