Eberspacher Heater

Pc Plod

DIY projects tend to fall into two categories - something you MUST do or something you'd LIKE to do. Harry's project falls into the second category.

His Timberland Endeavour's Eberspacher D2 air-heater currently has a single outlet in the base of the offside seat of the rear U-lounge.

To provide warm air further forward in the vehicle it SHOULD be easy enough to do as Mel B suggests and extend the lounge outlet's ducting to a 2nd outlet positioned in the fascia beneath the fridge. This outlet should be closable and directable.

The Timberland Destiny has a similar interior layout to the Endeavour's and it's even possible that the same bathroom module has been used for both models. As Timberland were able to install a warm-air outlet in the bathroom of machra's Destiny, it's reasonable to assume that whatever Timberland did to machra's motorhome at the build stage, Harry should be able to do now.

If machra can provide more details about the ducting to the bathroom and, in particular, the type and position of the outlet in the bathroom (a photo would be good) this would be very helpful.

I'm pretty sure that leading an air-duct past the bathroom against the vehicle's wall would only be feasible at the original build stage. Besides which, Harry's D2 heater is way down on heat/air-flow output compared to machra's Truma Combi-4 and it would be easy (as 1footinthegrave suggests) to run out of air-flow with a D2 if too many outlets were added.

All other ploys (electric or gas heaters, leaving doors open, etc.) attempt to correct a basic design flaw - that there should be a warm-air outlet in the Endeavour's bathroom and isn't. If it's practicable to provide an effective bathroom outlet (and machra's comments suggest that it will be), preferably so that it doesn't look like an unattractive afterthought, then that's surely the way to go. After that, if heating the front part of the motorhome is still desired, that's the time when using supplementary gas or electric heaters can be considered.

Just because your Autocruise's Combitronic system has "Truma/Carver type" ducting/fittings (Not really sure what that means - either your ducting/fittings were sourced from the Truma/Carver parts list or they were not) and you've had no problems, doesn't prove that that the system complies with Eberspacher's recommendations. It could as easily mean that Autocruise has just chosen to use Truma bits and pieces throughout their range of motorhomes for convenience.

/QUOTE]

I quite agree,and i am no expert on the various parts . I know that the parts fitted in my van are all finished in a 'beige colour' (very technical) all the ducting and fittings are exactly the same as in my previous van (an Autosleeper) which had Truma gas heating with a ducted hot air system attached.All of the 'Genuine' Eberspacher fitings and ducting appear to be 'Black' finished (again just an observation on various websites). And the Hot air directed through the ducting doesn't care whether it was generated by a Gas or Diesel Heater, as long as the 'melting point' of the plastic fittings isn't approached. The ducting itself is 'metallic/alluminium with an insulated (thin) coating. ;-) Ray

JamesFrance - 2012-01-20 8:25 AM

From Peter's last link:

Not available - Long discontinued by the manufacturer - But click here to see our Propex Heaters !

All new build caravan & motorhome heaters must now by law have an external flue so all wall heaters like these are now discontinued. But click here to see our Propex Heaters page

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/therm_x.htm

Heaters are likely to be left on when the occupants are asleep, whereas it would be a very foolish person who did the same with a cooker.

That's not really the point is it. I think the portable gas heater would run out of gas before it gassed anybody anyway.

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2012-01-20 6:35 PM

JamesFrance - 2012-01-20 8:25 AM

From Peter's last link:

Not available - Long discontinued by the manufacturer - But click here to see our Propex Heaters !

All new build caravan & motorhome heaters must now by law have an external flue so all wall heaters like these are now discontinued. But click here to see our Propex Heaters page

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/therm_x.htm

Heaters are likely to be left on when the occupants are asleep, whereas it would be a very foolish person who did the same with a cooker.

That's not really the point is it. I think the portable gas heater would run out of gas before it gassed anybody anyway.

And the best bit is you would not know anyway even if it did :D

Rayjsj - 2012-01-20 1:17 PM

...All of the 'Genuine' Eberspacher fitings and ducting appear to be 'Black' finished (again just an observation on various websites)...

Funnily enough, the warm-air ducting factory-fiited by Hobby as part of the Truma heating system in my motorhome was black. As Truma won't warrant an installation that includes non-Truma products, I assume the black ducting is theirs.

When I revamped my Hobby's system I couldn't find any Truma black ducting and, as I didn't want the result to look like a bodge-up, I replaced all the original ducting with the standard beige stuff. This might seem extravagant but, as the redesign turned out to be fairly major, I couldn't have reused much of the black ducting anyway.

It is of course possible that neither Eberspacher not Truma produce the ducting themselves, but buy-in from the same manufacturer, just stating which outer covering they want. Similarly for the Plastic parts.

There are very few manufacturers, who produce every component of their finished product.

What's with all this gassing nonsense. The guy just wants to heat up the shower compartment to have a shower, on for 30 mins max.

Hell the gas oven can be on for 2 hrs to cook a joint and burns a lot more gas than a little stove with a small canister.

Hi ,

I have fitted two extra heater outlets,one in the bathroom and one at the rear of the lounge

without any problems.

What a difference it has made to the bathroom and when the front of the van is cold i just

remove the facia from the toilet vent and insert a 1.5 metre lenght of ducting directing it into

the cab. many thanks for all ideas.

Regards

Harry

Having just scanned this thread I notice you said there is the 'possibility' of running the new ducting under the refrigerator.....IMO this would potentially be a problem. Unless your ducting is fully insulated all the air around it will be heated potentially creating problems with your refrigerator. I could be wrong...and frequently am but it's something to consider.

Nice thinking on the connection of ducting to heat up the front of the van, as I say in my earlier post I wish I had asked for a duct out into the front somewhere.

Archived