clutchclaw

bjphillips

Has anyone bought one of these .I did query with the suppliers wether they were Thatcham approved.They replied that they werent but it had been tested by a ex professional thief & after 30 minutes he gave up ! they also said that a couple of motoring mags had a go as well with no luck.I just wondered why if its so good it isnt approved unless its a matter of cost. Anybody bought one ? (?)

yep! had two now, one on my Fiat and another on the Merc I have now. Easy to fit and take on and off. Robustly made and seem to be tricky to break just purely because they are in such an awkward spot to get to. Of course the real test hasn't been done yet!

Guest peter
I wanted one of these and bought it. But it will not fit a LHD vehicle as the wheelarch gets in the way. Disappointed, I took it back.

Ref my enquiry about the clutch claw yesterday.I spoke to the distributor this morning who said it was the sheer cost of having it Thatcham approved as the reason for not doing so. As for fitting to a LHD Ducatto he assured me it will because the configeration of the pedals is the same, no mention of the wheel arch being in the way though.Anybody got 1 for a 2000 2.8 Fiat Ducatto ?

Can't see any thief bothering to spend 30 mins trying to take one off, they will either take one look and give up or drive it away not using clutch and just using hand brake then get a angle grinder on it back at their site. Its no big problem driving with no clutch or brakes and its not like their worried about looking after your van.

If it's hardware security you're after (rather than electronic), you cannot, in my view do better than a 'Snap-Off' steering wheel. As well as better security they also make swivelling the driver seat as easy as the passenger one. Without the steering wheel, the only way your vehicle can be stolen is via a 'jack-up' towing dolly, which means a pre-planned theft and you won't stop one of those anyway! The Snap-Off replaces the boss at the top of the steering column with a new one which cannot be removed without drilling out 3 'blinded screw heads' - a long and laborious task. The replacement boss is unique in allowing only your supplied steering wheel to fit and it is then locked in place with a barrel lock. When removed the barrel lock is replaced preventing the steering wheel fitting on the boss. At home, you store the steering wheel in a wardrobe, when travelling, you can do the same, as drilling out the barrel lock is also a non trivial task, as is attempting to pick it. But this all does cost the thick end of £300 - think of it as your motorhome's Christmas Present. They are available from Wyvern Accessories for most base vehciles (not Renault Master) (01749 881122).

I was just giving a bit of balance to thread, they are not completly foolproof as suggested. At the moment I am using an old crooklock completly useless if some one realy want to take my van, but it might put off the opertunist thief.

[QUOTE]colin - 2006-05-16 8:16 PM I was just giving a bit of balance to thread, they are not completly foolproof as suggested. At the moment I am using an old crooklock completly useless if some one realy want to take my van, but it might put off the opertunist thief.[/QUOTE] point taken: You're right if someone wants it they'll take it but if I can put the others/off or thwart them it's worth the effort. Incidentally I tried to drive an old Commer back from Wales once with no clutch. Everything went well until I had to stop on a hill and then I was stuck.

Archived