No Television

bob b

I haven't got a TV in the motorhome, nor do I want one. The day is spent exploring and I will normally eat out somewhere in the early evening. On arrival back at the camper I'll listen to radio 4, read the newspaper & have a stab at the crossword. A suduko puzzle in 'bedfordshire' will often complete the evenings entertainment.

I'll usually study the map and any local guides as well to decide which area I'm going to visit the following day. When I visit Europe I always have a DK Eyewitness Travel Guide and michelin maps of the countries I'm visiting. I particularing enjoying poring over these to find places of interest to visit.

How do the rest of you 'oddballs' manage without TV/video apparatus? 

Oh dear, I hope this was not a dig at my enquiry regarding systems. I do not watch TV per se even at home, I cannot stand the perpetual adverts and the Beeb is usually atrocious., but do enjoy the odd good movie. Like others we tend to use our time away in reading, and other activities and more often than not hit the sack just after 9pm as a) it is dark in the Med and b) we are knackered from a full day. However, as technology has moved along I am wondering if I can get something that will add a little spice to the evening as and when we wish. without looking like a TV Emporium. I have no desire for one of those things on the roof that looks like a NASA receiver.

Dave225 - 2012-01-28 8:28 PM

Oh dear, I hope this was not a dig at my enquiry regarding systems. I do not watch TV per se even at home, I cannot stand the perpetual adverts and the Beeb is usually atrocious., but do enjoy the odd good movie. Like others we tend to use our time away in reading, and other activities and more often than not hit the sack just after 9pm as a) it is dark in the Med and b) we are knackered from a full day. However, as technology has moved along I am wondering if I can get something that will add a little spice to the evening as and when we wish. without looking like a TV Emporium. I have no desire for one of those things on the roof that looks like a NASA receiver.

It may, or may not, be a ' dig ' as you say, but it's interesting anyway to know what people do who do NOT take TVs with them.

There are plenty of discussions among the people who take tellys' so this is a chance to find out how the rest keep themselves occupied..

;-)

Well Bob here goes...

In summer the TV never goes as we'll sit out and read, natter.

In winter, when on the odd occasion we can't get a signal via the satellite we'll read, I'm an Autobiographies merchant and Lady T will devour anything.

Radio 2, people watching, (particularly the kettle fillers), newspapers for my passion of current affairs and all matters financial but in particular the Far East where we hold significant investments.

Martyn

Lord Braykewynde - 2012-01-28 9:56 PM

HWO - 2012-01-28 9:52 PM

I don't seem to have a great deal of time in the evening now that the new co-pilot that I ordered on the internet has arrived from Thailand (lol) (lol)

HWO

Nice but just make sure it's not a ladyboy :$

No did the Crocodile Dundee test as soon as I unpacked her

HWO

Even though we had 2 children with us originally we decided no TV in Folding Camper, so when we got van we stuck with it.

Play games and chat mainly, 1 has grown and gone the other loves reading, we all go to bed at same time as it makes life easier.

Have got free view on daughters TV and put that on occasionally during winter rallies but rare.

Mandy

This is the beauty of the layout of our van (and old one) I watch very little tv, but gf dispite being very much a outdoors type does love her soaps and 'brittains got no dancing x factor talent', so she lounges on the fixed bed in rear with the tv on whilst I am either on own in front dinette reading or doing sudoko, or we have one small girl along which means a riot at the front of van and being shouted at to keep the noise down :D

We had not taken a TV away for years, as a family we used to like to do 'active' things and the two of us preffer to walk about and discover our surroundings, read or play games, we really like the Travel Games such as Scrabble, four in a row (what a giggle that can be) and such like, sometimes we even talk to our neighbours and share a pot of tea/ coffee. We have however taken a flat screen TV with a built in DVD player to maybe watch film when we have time, we buy cheap DVD's that are of films that we liked the look of when they came out but as we don't go to the pictures we haven't seen! However in the two to three years we have taken it we have watched one film (we still have a large pile wrapped up) so it may well go for the chop this year.

That is the biggest benefit of this way of life, everyone can do as they please and if it means watching the 'Box' good on them!

Bas

I was in northern Spain and Portugal during the last football world cup. When Portugal played Spain I went to a restaurant in luarca (Asturias) to have a meal and watch the game on the big screen. You can imagine the atmosphere, the place was heaving with people and good natured excitement. Most of the population were all dressed in the spanish colours and fancy dress outfits.

Immediately following the spanish win the town literally shook with a series of loud explosions. I can't imagine that they were fireworks, more like enemy action!, but an unforgetable evening.

If I'd had a TV in the motorhome, I'd still have gone to town to watch the match purely for the party.  

Archived