Gravelines aire by marina

peterjl

Hi

for those of you that use this regulary (we stop there several times a year) they have now fitted a parking meter to operate 1st april to 30th September - 6 euros for 24 hours.

Saw this on our way out on 30th December when there were about 14 vans in place.

Peter

Yes there now is a sevrice point, not on the aire de staionment itself but not far away. It is well sign posted from the marina parking and is next to the gendamarie. Opperation is by credit card (3€ if we recall correctly) with easy access. Setting at marina is so good, plus nearness to town, that would be happy to pay 10€ a night.

Guest 1footinthegrave
When we found Gravelines full last year we were directed by a Frenchman to Grand-Fort-Philippe, just over the tidal creek, parking at Boulevard Francois Le Leveque, along side the water, not sure if it is official but we used it on two occasions together with a few French vans, might be worth noting if Gravelines is rammed and your stuck for an overnighter,much quieter as well. It's sort of diagonally opposite the lighthouse on the other side of the estuary. It's funny though about peoples perceptions of a good aire, for the newcomers to the aire scene there far far better ones, but it is handy as a ferry stopover ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 6:11 AM

It's funny though about peoples perceptions of a good aire, for the newcomers to the aire scene there far far better ones, but it is handy as a ferry stopover ;-)

Indeed it is funny, but Gravelines Aire is much more than a ferry stopover. We've stayed there quite a few times now and sometimes for a couple of days at a time. The riverside location is nice in itself with all the boats moored up and a couple of minutes walk into the moated historic town centre provides loads to explore for those interested in history and gardens to wander around with all those bronze sculptures.

Fifteen minutes walk gets you to the huge beach where you can watch the sand yachting or walk out along the harbour entrance.

The Aire itself is a great Aire of its type, an excellent place to spend a night or two as part of your travels.

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 6:11 AM

When we found Gravelines full last year we were directed by a Frenchman to Grand-Fort-Philippe, just over the tidal creek, parking at Boulevard Francois Le Leveque, along side the water, not sure if it is official but we used it on two occasions together with a few French vans, might be worth noting if Gravelines is rammed and your stuck for an overnighter,much quieter as well. It's sort of diagonally opposite the lighthouse on the other side of the estuary. It's funny though about peoples perceptions of a good aire, for the newcomers to the aire scene there far far better ones, but it is handy as a ferry stopover ;-)

Well 1foot as experienced aires users we think Gravelines is a really good aire and are not sure why you would not, but would be interested to see details of aires you think are better as always keen to visit top class aires, so please list them. Re aire at La Grand-Fort-Philippe then this is an official aire de stationment (ie parking but no services) but is often unavailable as used for "fetes", particularly in summer time. When this happens overnight parking is allowed further down by harbour entrance overlooking the sea.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Mamers, Broglie, Blois, Le Torquet ( Yacht club ), just off the top of my head need I go on, really what's the point of listing my personal favourites.

Gravelines is a strip of hard-standing right on the edge of a road, the river stinks when the tide goes out, disturbances by vanners setting off for early morning ferry bookings, or early hours ferry arrivals, noisy buses in the early hours sitting with engines ticking over, copious amounts of dog crap, especially over the road at Grand-Fort-Philippe, walking up to the beach must rate as dog crap dump center of the universe, I would challenge anyone to take a walk without constantly looking down at their feet over there. But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view. I grant you the Bronze ladies are worth a look, but there's not much else IMO.

Guest JudgeMental
I like it as it is nice and quiet and very short walk into town. Pub in square used to do really good moules avec frite.....but has lost the chef I think :-S

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 9:16 PM

Mamers, Broglie, Blois, Le Torquet ( Yacht club ), just off the top of my head need I go on, really what's the point of listing my personal favourites.

Gravelines is a strip of hard-standing right on the edge of a road, the river stinks when the tide goes out, disturbances by vanners setting off for early morning ferry bookings, or early hours ferry arrivals, noisy buses in the early hours sitting with engines ticking over, copious amounts of dog crap, especially over the road at Grand-Fort-Philippe, walking up to the beach must rate as dog crap dump center of the universe, I would challenge anyone to take a walk without constantly looking down at their feet over there. But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view. I grant you the Bronze ladies are worth a look, but there's not much else IMO.

Gosh you really have been unlucky or are exaggerating a bit. Stayed on this aire and never encountered any of what you have experienced. Yes dog crap about but no more than normal for the French. The old town of Gravelines has super character and is on my list for this year even though its now chargeable.

Guest 1footinthegrave

It is on the very edge of a road, it is on the bus route, they do start early in the morning, the river does stink,the bins are norammly overflowing, the borne is a drive away, and now they want to charge for it.

Thats not unlucky, it's factual. I repeat you may think it lovely, many including me do not, and we have been to many lovely Aires that resemble a CL, not a lay-by.

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 9:51 PM

It is on the very edge of a road, it is on the bus route, they do start early in the morning, the river does stink,the bins are norammly overflowing, the borne is a drive away, and now they want to charge for it.

Thats not unlucky, it's factual. I repeat you may think it lovely, many including me do not, and we have been to many lovely Aires that resemble a CL, not a lay-by.

Actually, or factually, its separated from the road by a large grassy area. They start early? Who, but its not a campsite, its an Aire - life goes on around it. The river is tidal so when the tide's out the mud gets exposed, can't say I've noticed it stinks. The bins are fine, or at least they have been each time we have stayed. The borne IS a drive away, a couple of minutes - if someone's moving on within a few days (its an Aire after all) then what's wrong with that? Charge? Yep, not a problem in my book.

And it hardly resembles a layby *-)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/Gravelines2.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 9:51 PM

Unfortunately its only factual in your experience and where are the others? I have stayed on this aire and never encountered the situation as you describe. There is no borne on the site as this is elsewhere, bins, well no problems when I was there. Bus's, never heard them. Its all a matter of opinion and thats where we differ, some expect aires to be 5* others accept them for what they are.

JudgeMental - 2012-02-01 9:26 PM

I like it as it is nice and quiet and very short walk into town. Pub in square used to do really good moules avec frite.....but has lost the chef I think :-S

Oh, moules with cream, avec frites, and crusty bread for the mopping up of the liquid.............talk dirty to me!

utterly uber-yummy.

Hawcara - 2012-02-02 8:19 AM

Never been to this aire, where exactly is it, as we may go via Dunkirk this year and need somewhere for early morning run to ferry?

Thank you B-)

Its ideal for Calais or Dunkirk as its roughly between the two N 50°59'19.75 E 002°07'21.83

Lots of info and photos here - here

Guest 1footinthegrave

The first photo of which shows it's clearly on the side of the road ???????? and looks exactly like a lay-by which is the official Aire, but no matter.

But it is handy as a Ferry stopover.

Guest Tracker

All this arguing is pointless.

It is what it is and we each need to see it to determine whether it is acceptable to oursleves.

If not don't stop - go elsewhere or use a campsite - simples!

Personally we only ever use the area as the night before the ferry stopover and as long as it is quiet and level that is good enough and it is very convenient and reliable as a stopover.

If you get there and don't like it just drive around a bit and explore as there are plenty of other car parks within a few miles to quietly park up overnight - especially along the beach and river side.

Archived