Gravelines aire by marina

peterjl

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 9:16 PM

Mamers, Broglie, Blois, Le Torquet ( Yacht club ), just off the top of my head need I go on, really what's the point of listing my personal favourites.

Gravelines is a strip of hard-standing right on the edge of a road, the river stinks when the tide goes out, disturbances by vanners setting off for early morning ferry bookings, or early hours ferry arrivals, noisy buses in the early hours sitting with engines ticking over, copious amounts of dog crap, especially over the road at Grand-Fort-Philippe, walking up to the beach must rate as dog crap dump center of the universe, I would challenge anyone to take a walk without constantly looking down at their feet over there. But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view. I grant you the Bronze ladies are worth a look, but there's not much else IMO.

Thanks for giving some of your "top" aires, have been to all of these and would rate them no better, or worse than Gravelines (for a couple of 5 star aires suggest you try St Pourcain-sur-Sioule (dept 03) or Palvas-Les-Flots (dept 34) ). Reading other comments it seems clear that most other contributers do not take the same view of Gravelines as you appear to do, but c'est la vie. Main thing is not to put those who have not visited Gravelines off, by making negative comments that are, in the view of the majority, not justified. Would however, agree with contributer who notes that main problem with Gravelines is you come across some Brits who like to moan at anything and everything.

We'll be there in June and July overnighting but promise not to moan!

It beats me why there is all this fuss over an overnight stop-does everybody need to fill up water, empty loo, dump the grey and empty dustbin at this one spot? Surely one would be filling up with diesel around here-won't they have a dustbin there?

See you there-or in the pub!

Mike

Guest 1footinthegrave
robertandjean - 2012-02-02 8:28 PM

But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view.

Would however, agree with contributer who notes that main problem with Gravelines is you come across some Brits who like to moan at anything and everything.

Just for one moment get of your high horse and accept that some people have a different view to your own. Maybe the "Brits that moan" came on yours or others recommendations, then took the same view as me on arrival, but here you go,

Gravelines, top spot, highly recommended by RobertJean, Aire users who have been to at least half a dozen others to compare, and another bloke who thought so highly of it he posted a picture of a pay and display meter

Now is that better.

We've been there a few times and all you can really say is it's fairly quiet and it's free/cheap. Bins are usually full, but you can't expect them to empty them every day for no charge at all, so can't complain.

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-02 10:17 PM

robertandjean - 2012-02-02 8:28 PM

But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view.

Would however, agree with contributer who notes that main problem with Gravelines is you come across some Brits who like to moan at anything and everything.

Just for one moment get of your high horse and accept that some people have a different view to your own. Maybe the "Brits that moan" came on yours or others recommendations, then took the same view as me on arrival, but here you go,

Gravelines, top spot, highly recommended by RobertJean, Aire users who have been to at least half a dozen others to compare, and another bloke who thought so highly of it he posted a picture of a pay and display meter

Now is that better.

Just to set the record straight we have stayed on well over 300 aires and have started various, and contributed to even more, threads where we have given recommendations, and updates on aires. These drawn from either our own, or friends stays, plus info from French web sites and Camping-Car Mags. Have not noticed anything similar from yourself, but welcome your inputs in future. Re Gravelines then clearly you have every right to your view but from comments here, and on other web sites, it does appear that the vast majority take our view rather than yours.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Why is it so important to you, as it obviously is,that others reflect your view of the world. Millions love "Eastenders" millions hate it, I'm not sure what that proves except that some would think it par excellence drama, others would sooner put a gun to their head than watch it we all have different likes and dislikes just get over it.

Oh and one of our favorite Aires de Stationement just a little south of Calais that we normally use prior to giving Gravelines a shot, no doubt you'd hate it given the contrast with Gravelines as you can see from the picture, but so what.

470162865_AirejustsouthofCalais.jpg.56478081361e7e2c7bbd455dd8b0e731.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-04 5:14 AM

Why is it so important to you, as it obviously is,that others reflect your view of the world. Millions love "Eastenders" millions hate it, I'm not sure what that proves except that some would think it par excellence drama, others would sooner put a gun to their head than watch it we all have different likes and dislikes just get over it.

Oh and one of our favorite Aires de Stationement just a little south of Calais that we normally use prior to giving Gravelines a shot, no doubt you'd hate it given the contrast with Gravelines as you can see from the picture, but so what.

Not bothered what view others take of the world, our responses to your posts re Gravelines are just an attempt to give a different view, based upon what we think of this aire; no more no less. Re your aire de stationment near Calais, then this looks like Tardinghen. In which case we have stayed there and although very different from Gravelines, would be more than happy to endorse your recommendation. It is ideal if you fancy a day or two to chill out with great views. Goes well with a nice glass of Carbenet Sauvingnon we found, (only downside is on grass if wet). A similar aire to this, but with individual hardstandings and country not sea views, is St Clar (dept 32) which you might like to try sometime.

sshortcircuit - 2012-02-01 10:40 PM
1footinthegrave - 2012-02-01 9:16 PMMamers, Broglie, Blois, Le Torquet ( Yacht club ), just off the top of my head need I go on, really what's the point of listing my personal favourites. Gravelines is a strip of hard-standing right on the edge of a road, the river stinks when the tide goes out, disturbances by vanners setting off for early morning ferry bookings, or early hours ferry arrivals, noisy buses in the early hours sitting with engines ticking over, copious amounts of dog crap, especially over the road at Grand-Fort-Philippe, walking up to the beach must rate as dog crap dump center of the universe, I would challenge anyone to take a walk without constantly looking down at their feet over there. But that's just my view, you and others seem to like it, and that's fine. Don't attack me just for having an alternative view. I grant you the Bronze ladies are worth a look, but there's not much else IMO.
Gosh you really have been unlucky or are exaggerating a bit. Stayed on this aire and never encountered any of what you have experienced. Yes dog crap about but no more than normal for the French. The old town of Gravelines has super character and is on my list for this year even though its now chargeable.

That about sums it up for me too, I like this aire very much and will pay to stay there. I might possibly have a look at Fort Philippe on the other side but only if I have time (Which is not often) Apart from 1foot who wouldn't like Gravelines ???

Ha Ha have to laugh don't you , lifes just too short for fighting over a poxy Aire.

Visit England no Aires loads of dog pooh and no charge :D You know what guys each to their own 1 foot don't like it thats up to him he expressed his view . Others do like it good for you guys as well,its reallynot worth arguing over move on ... :D :D Unless your in England oh forgot the only place you can move on to is the next petrol station with an extortinate machine waiting to take extortionate money . :D

Be happy folks before we all die . *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Cattwg - 2012-02-12 9:49 PM

one of our favorite Aires de Stationement just a little south of Calais

Just wondering where this aire is?

Cattwg :-D

I have sent you a PM. ;-)

Oh and one of our favorite Aires de Stationement just a little south of Calais that we normally use prior to giving Gravelines a shot,

That looks like a really nice Aire 1 foot, but I cannot find it in the 3rd edition of "All the Aires - France" any clues as to where abouts it is as I think it would suit us very much.

Cheryl, as we mentioned earlier we think this is the aire at Tardinghen. Not sure why our old mate 1 foot did not simply give the name of the aire with the photo. Perhaps he has forgotten it; feel sure he is not taking the line we have encountered previously, when people refuse to name an aire, so they can keep it for themselves!

Other aires we have stayed on in this same area, but not in our opinion, as good as Gravelines are at Audinghen, Wissant and Bray Dunes. Taking the last one first then this is parking only and is situated near the sea front (no sea view) behind the tourist office. This is a car park style aire, no charge but not available during July and August (Gps N 51.07744, E 2.51532). Wissant is again parking only and when we last stayed was grass and free. French web sites now say hard standing and some services (? waste emptying) now added. No views and near road but easy walk into pleasant Wissant. (Gps N50.886765, E1.670351). Audinghen is also in France Passion scheme and main parking is in sheltered courtyard, next to shop and back of bistro. (2 years ago there was further more open parking and free wifi from bistro).No charge to stay but 5€ for electricity and 2€ for water. A good choice if windy, court yard very sheltered or if fancy a nice meal cooked for you, but with no drive/walk home. Hope this helps.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I keep all the details of notable places visited in my van. I must confess though after the flak I have received in earlier posts there seemed little point in making an effort to go to it to dig out the details, I assumed that if folk love Gravelines which is what the thread was about, they would probably hate this location as it is a complete contrast with nothing to do, absolutely silent, no dog crap everywhere, or any other type of crap come to that, ( where do they keep all the cows ? ) and only the birds for company, bliss for us.

Worth noting is there are a total of three separate areas you may park, the one in our picture is just a short drive up the lane from the main farm buildings from where services are situated. Great spot on the top of the hillside with far reaching views towards Calais and the channel in the distance . Farmers wife who speaks a little English calls up to collect the fee ( 6 Euro when last we stayed in October). The one thing that is a bit odd is the containers used for the collection of your black waste down at the main building, perhaps it has a value ! !

Coordonnées GPS : Longitude : 1.64945125 Latitude : 50.85593813

Adresse :

La Fleur des Champs Ferme de l'Horloge,

which is off Route de la Fleur des Champs.

which in turn is off the D249 heading towards Warincthun, do not head into Tardinghen.

Type de l'aire : Aire à la ferme

Archived