France touring: Paris Peripherique nightmare?

jb6981

Travelling from Calais to the South of France in the shortest possible time, using the autoroutes, usually means crossing Paris on the ring road or 'Peripherique'. This road allegedly carries over a million vehicles a day and is legendary for its jams and it's priority from the right rule - traffic coming onto the ring road has priority and the right hand lane is exclusively for the use of traffic leaving or entering the carriageway.

Our normal route is Calais> A26, A1; through Paris onto the A10, then A71 and A75.

The speed limit is apparently 80kph (50mph): although nobody seems to have told the locals that - the only way to drive is to keep up with the, manic, speed of the traffic until the inevitable jam. It is always a relief to get through without a scratch - the first time I used it in the early 80's we played a game - spot the car without a dent (there weren't many!).

For those who have not had the pleasure of this road or are contemplating their first trip to France I have posted an edited video on You Tube (15 mins duration) of traversing the ring road from the A1 to the A10; there are lots of tunnels and jams and only one minor accident:

"Crossing Paris via the Peripherique from the A1 toll booth to the A10 (finish at Aire Limour-Janvry. Vehicle is a Hobby 725 Motohome (Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD, weight 4,500kg, 7.5 mtrs long). Time is 12.30pm in July 2007."

Guest JudgeMental
jb6981 - 2012-02-01 9:08 PM

This road allegedly carries over a million vehicles a day and is legendary for its jams and it's priority from the right rule - traffic coming onto the ring road has priority and the right hand lane is exclusively for the use of traffic leaving or entering the carriageway.

really? *-) Did not no that :-S

have used it many a time..we try and get there after midnight to miss day time traffic. Our latest Garmin sat nav has "lane assist" which gets you in the right lane approaching junctions. I now find it reasonably OK :-S

JudgeMental - 2012-02-01 9:22 PM

This road allegedly carries over a million vehicles a day and is legendary for its jams and it's priority from the right rule - traffic coming onto the ring road has priority and the right hand lane is exclusively for the use of traffic leaving or entering the carriageway.

really? *-) Did not no that :-S

have used it many a time..we try and get there after midnight to miss day time traffic. Our latest Garmin sat nav has "lane assist" which gets you in the right lane approaching junctions. I now find it reasonably OK :-S

I did not know it either until I read it in Wickipedia today; and I have driven on it dozens of times, nor did I realise that there was an 80kph speed limit.

Guest Tracker
We too have found it no problem with a sat nav with lane assist guidance - but I would not be so keen especially in a van without it as it can be a bit hairy at times!

Wouldn't touch it without SatNav - in fact before we had one we always gave Paris a VERY wide berth (about 50miles when possible!)

But WITH SatNav, no problem, as long as you're aware of the quaint old-fashioned "Prioité á droite," which hasn't applied on any OTHER major road for about 30 years!

Tony Jones - 2012-02-01 10:15 PM

Wouldn't touch it without SatNav - in fact before we had one we always gave Paris a VERY wide berth (about 50miles when possible!)

But WITH SatNav, no problem, as long as you're aware of the quaint old-fashioned "Prioité á droite," which hasn't applied on any OTHER major road for about 30 years!

Think you're wrong there Tony-any crossroads/junctions/roundabouts that don't have whitle lines on them still technically have Priority

Mike

flicka - 2012-02-01 10:43 PM

Well you appear to have had a relatively easy drive through.

You need to travel between 16:00 & 20:00 hours to get the REAL 'Peripherique' experience. ;-) >:-)

Agree, the video'd journey was one of the least traumatic ever on that road; as you say rush hour is crazy and I always seem to have problems on the return going North.

It is easy peasy, so long as you'v got sat nav, or a some special awareness.

I've done it more times that I care to remember, on motorbikes and in cars. In rush hours and at night.

Just make sure you know what junction you need to come off on.

Always stay in at least the second lane when travelling south because your satnav always keeps telling you to "Bear Left" or "Keep Left" , absolute piece of cake, in fact I love it because it is fast.

With our caravan on, at about 1am, we were doing around 70/80mph and EVERYTHING was passing us WHOOOSSHH.

All going in the same direction so no problems at all

Mike B. - 2012-02-01 10:21 PM

Tony Jones - 2012-02-01 10:15 PM

Think you're wrong there Tony-any crossroads/junctions/roundabouts that don't have whitle lines on them still technically have Priority

Mike

Key word there being "technically," Mike. I'm sure you're right, but in practice

(a) you're hard pressed these days to find roundabouts, or junctions on major roads, where the main route ISN'T protected by signs, and

(b) even when that does happen, it's so rare that only the very occasional nutter relies on it to come hurtling out without looking - probably about the same proportion as would do that anyway, without the "Prioité!"

- EXCEPT ON THE PERIPHÉRIQUE!

Travelling from Calais to the South of France in the shortest possible time, using the autoroutes, usually means crossing Paris on the ring road or 'Peripherique'.

It is always a relief to get through without a scratch - the first time I used it in the early 80's we played a game - spot the car without a dent (there weren't many!).

Yes the French have a very different kind of 'relationship' with their vehicles to ourselves. It's fairly common to see relatively newish French plated cars with serious dents. They simply don't give a damn about their cars.

I've navigated the Peripherique in both car and Campervan. Car is OK but with a Campervan/MH you have to be careful when using SatNav. My Campervan has a height of 2.8mtr and when recently on the Peripherique following the Satnav (!!), it sent me on a section which had a height limit below 2.8mtr. I only just managed to avoid it at the last minute due to the plastic strips hanging down! *-)

SatNav is fine.........as long as you don't take it as absolute Gospel!

rupert123 - 2012-02-02 11:51 AM

Why the hell would you want to go anywhere near the place. These days if you wish to travel by autoroute to south of France it is just as quick to go via Reims.

I tend to agree with this. A26, A31, A6, A7, A9 would probably be less fraught. But it is all toll, so very expensive, and you still have to get around Lyon, so I wouldn't do that either! I'd go A16, A28 to Rouen, then Chartres, Chateaudun, and Blois to Chateauroux, and then down the A20. But only if I was in some kind of hurry! :-)

Why the hell would you want to go anywhere near the place. These days if you wish to travel by autoroute to south of France it is just as quick to go via Reims.

It depends on which part of the South of France you are heading for, our destination was Beziers/Agde in the Languedoc; our shortest route (according to Google maps) is 644 miles via A26, A1, A10, A71 and A75. Tolls 211 euros (source - autoroutes.fr, class 4 tag axle)

If we go via Reims it is 692 miles via A26, A6, A7 and A9; tolls 240 euros. It is more expensive in tolls because the A71 and A75 are mostly toll free; it is a further 48 miles to travel which is approx. 2 gallons of diesel, so about 10.00 euros extra fuel plus 29.00 euros in tolls.

If we were heading for the Cote D'azur (Nice, Cannes, St Tropez) it would make sense to go via Reims but the South of France stretches from Spain to the Italian border so A26 via Reims does not suit everyone, so you have to go through Paris if you are in a hurry.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2012-02-02 4:39 PM

I tend to agree with this. A26, A31, A6, A7, A9 would probably be less fraught. But it is all toll, so very expensive, and you still have to get around Lyon, so I wouldn't do that either! I'd go A16, A28 to Rouen, then Chartres, Chateaudun, and Blois to Chateauroux, and then down the A20. But only if I was in some kind of hurry! :-)

With a 38 ton truck I've often used the National Roads Toll Free from Calais - St Quentin - Reims - St Dizier - Chaumont - Langres - Beune-Macon(Great Municipal Campsite and Swimming Pool) down to Lyon, and the motorway round Lyon is free.

I'm with Brian as far as Chartres, most of this route is free and akin to motorway travel. After Chartres the road is not good but being upgraded all the time. I usually go around Orleans on the A10 / A71 then either take the N20 or keep on the motorway, not a great deal of traffic, lots of very nice stopping places and free after Clermont-Ferrand (except for the Millau bridge). Very fast and very picturesque scenery.

Forgot to say that there are quite large towns after Beziers with priority from the right, with the narrowest lanes coming on to the main road, which are impossible to see until you are upon them.

I lived & worked in France & Italy for a number of years and had to do an Italian driving test as part of residenzia requirements and this was part of the sort of theory test they had back then.

Unfortunately, in Italy (and France to a certain extent) they didn't always agree with the rule and the priority is for the 1st person who gets there!!! ie if there is a gap in the traffic and Italian will go for it-whether he makes it or not is academic but he will go for it!

I believe this still applies-especially in Turin, Milan, Rome etc :-) Paris is a piece of cake after this!

Mike

I have a relative who is married to a French bloke and lives in Nime. Last year I asked him about this priority from the right and he did not really have a clue and cared less. He just said when you are in towns if the road coming in from the right did not have a solid line across it be carefull. As a rule it seems no differant to the UK and in over fourty years of driving in France I have never had a problem with it, even the French seem to have realised that law or not driving out into a main road without stopping may not be a good idea. I remember when they installed a roundabout on the Chamonix bypass in the seventies, this was the first one in the region and no-one seemed to have seen one before, complete chaos, they had so many accidents that for weeks after their were six police trying to direct traffic here.

Patricia - 2012-02-03 9:46 AM

Thank you - I didn't know either and I have been driving in France for 50 years. Will ask my French neighbours and see if they know!

Unlikely! The poor old French are still trying to work out which, out of the three different taught, plus the untaught "received wisdom", rules to apply when negotiating their plethora of roundabouts! So, the true meaning of a white post with a red band at the top seems unlikely to have registered! :-D

laimeduck - 2012-02-02 8:03 PM

Priorite a Droite :

explained quite well I think

http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm

I did not know about the White posts with Red bands though?

Nice one Jeremy, the red bands were a new one on me too.

I noticed this lovely quote at the end of the site you linked to:

"As you can see this is not a simple issue and it would certainly have been easier to repeal the old law than to have had to go to so much palarva to indicate that they really don't want it."

But of course, the French wouldn't try to actually repeal this law, because it's so distinctly FRENCH. It was hard enough for them to stop insisting on yellow headlights! You know the furore WE get whenever someone proposes we do something "to get into line with Europe"? Well imagine that multiplied a few times, and you get some idea of the response from the French to being told their law is out of step with the rest of the world!

I love France, and I love the French, but some of them are a little TOO like some of us!

Archived