France touring: Paris Peripherique nightmare?

jb6981

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-03 12:35 PM

Patricia - 2012-02-03 9:46 AM

Thank you - I didn't know either and I have been driving in France for 50 years. Will ask my French neighbours and see if they know!

Unlikely! The poor old French are still trying to work out which, out of the three different taught, plus the untaught "received wisdom", rules to apply when negotiating their plethora of roundabouts! So, the true meaning of a white post with a red band at the top seems unlikely to have registered! :-D

Yes, but I can still remember the rule of the road at roundabouts when I passed my test - vehicles coming on to the island had priority so we didn't get it right first time!!!

Patricia - 2012-02-03 12:48 PM......................Yes, but I can still remember the rule of the road at roundabouts when I passed my test - vehicles coming on to the island had priority so we didn't get it right first time!!!

I'm getting two conflicting interpretations Patricia! :-)

First: island as in UK. But surely that rule would only have applied at that first roundabout as you exit Dover harbour!

Second, island as in the centre of roundabout. But of course, the driver of any vehicle actually on the island, hadn't even realised it was a roundabout!

Take your pick. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-03 12:35 PM

The poor old French are still trying to work out which, out of the three different taught, plus the untaught "received wisdom", rules to apply when negotiating their plethora of roundabouts! So, the true meaning of a white post with a red band at the top seems unlikely to have registered! :-D

You've missed one Brian - the rule that says "At the Arc de Triomphe, the driver with the loudest horn has priorité!"

Second, island as in the centre of roundabout. But of course, the driver of any vehicle actually on the island, hadn't even realised it was a roundabout!

Ah, you mean like this ...

Roundabout.jpg.e098a1af143b3a228c78492571a5f863.jpg

laimeduck - 2012-02-02 8:03 PM

Priorite a Droite :

explained quite well I think

http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm

I did not know about the White posts with Red bands though?

Good link.

Surprised it doesn't mention about the broken or solid white lines found on most N roads on the right (nearside if you driving a RH vehicle). When the line is broken you are permitted to pull over it to allow vehicles behind to pass. In doing so you soon win over many appreciative French locals most of whom will acknowledge the road sense of a foreigner!

When the line is solid you are not supposed to do the above, though if I know I have a few cursing locals behind I will try to get them round me and out of my way.

Bulletguy - 2012-02-03 3:11 PM...........................Surprised it doesn't mention about the broken or solid white lines found on most N roads on the right (nearside if you driving a RH vehicle). When the line is broken you are permitted to pull over it to allow vehicles behind to pass. In doing so you soon win over many appreciative French locals most of whom will acknowledge the road sense of a foreigner!...................

Plus of course, their peals of laughter as you slide ignominiously into the ditch! :-D

• 2 weeks later...
flicka - 2012-02-01 11:43 PMWell you appear to have had a relatively easy drive through.You need to travel between 16:00 & 20:00 hours to get the REAL 'Peripherique' experience. ;-) >:-)

Did that back in the late nineties, still haven't recoved :-( I wasn't even driving but anything closer to a living nightmare I have yet to experience lol.

Archived