A few news snippets from France

Patricia

French tolls to rise by about 3% this week depending on the company. This is above the inflation figure.

Eurotunnel plans to buy SeaFrance ferries and run them using many of the original staff.

TVA (VAT) to rise by 1.6% (to 21.2%) in October. This will impact on most things including tolls, gas, fuel, many items of food etc. Incidentally I thought our fuel bills, and bottles of gas used for cooking and heating, are taxed at about 5% VAT or am I completely wrong here.

spospe - 2012-02-03 4:41 PM

Patricia

Yes bottled (and domestic gas is charged at 5% VAT) see:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/rates/goods-services.htm

Brian

I would have thought that the trains would fit onto the Sea France Ferries quite easilly really ;-)

Oh, really! And as to relevance? There's no bleedin' rail tracks to, from, or on, the ferries, so it's obvious they'd need to get the ferries throught the tunnel, innit? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-03 7:23 PM

Oh, really! And as to relevance? There's no bleedin' rail tracks to, from, or on, the ferries, so it's obvious they'd need to get the ferries throught the tunnel, innit? :-D

....though, to go full circle, there were rail tracks (to, from, and on) before the Tunnel opened - the Dover-Dunkerque train ferry service being the last to be withdrawn at that point. Maybe they are planning on reviving Train Ferries. ;-)

I don't remember them with any great pleasure - when I last used one during an overnight crossing for a weekend in Paris in the early 80's, it arrived at Dunkerque complete with a complement of railway wagons only to find the one rail-equipped berth occupied.

It was early morning, deserted, and the harbour-master was duly summoned by the ship's siren. A light came on in a little office building; a man exited and drove down the docks in an old Renault 4 van; when he alighted much animated shouting from the bridge was greeted with a series of Gallic shrugs; he then climbed back into the van, retreated to his office, and turned the light out!

It took two further hours (during which time the docks remained deserted) before the master decided he would berth the ship himself (at a non-designated berth) and we were allowed to disembark.

We missed our intended train to Paris, and arrived somewhat later than we expected. To rub salt in the wounds, the only occupied berth in the port was that designated for the train ferry! Something very French was going on!

Guest pelmetman
The rail tracks on to the ferry are still in place in Weymouth...................the only thing they haven't ripped up for the olympics *-)

Archived