750w/1500w Fan heater

Dr Dave

Guys

Just seen an oscillating ceramic fan heater looks just the right size for the van and the wattage looks managable. It was in poundstretcher at £19.99 has anyone got one and are they worth having? I am aware the lowish wattage will mean it wont be very hot but for keeping the chill off might be o/k.

What's so hazardous about a motorhome. The electric heating in a lot of vans uses the same principle of a fan heater, ie a heat source and a fan to circulate the heated air and a lot of people leave them on all the time in winter. Us included at the moment as it's a bit chilly at night in Spain.

Dr Dave - 2012-02-05 3:05 PM

Guys

Just seen an oscillating ceramic fan heater looks just the right size for the van and the wattage looks managable. It was in poundstretcher at £19.99 has anyone got one and are they worth having? I am aware the lowish wattage will mean it wont be very hot but for keeping the chill off might be o/k.

Not sure what type of CH in your motohome, but we have the 'standard' Truma Trumatic blown air gas/electic, and have been away for the last 3 weeks or so in some pretty cold weather. We tend to leave this running on low (electrics) 24/7, and keeps the interior wonderfully cosy. We're already paying for the electrics, so it doesnt use much at 1800w max, and give us the hot water as well. If we need 'instant' heat when extremelycold, the we put it onto gas and electric, and within 5 mins, have to turn it off.

In the past on previous vehicles with Gas only version, we have used a small fan heater on a timer, and this was fine, but not sure what the 'ceramic' one you metnion is like -mis it one of those that 'glows' with the element in thefront. If so, I personally would not nuse that anyway as it will give heat to a specific area which it may be close to?

i have been having a look on the web for a similar model and this looks the same.

http://best-buys.co.uk/quest-ceramic-heater-750w-1500w.html

We have got Erbespatcher diesel heating on the van which is o/k but a little noisey until the set temperature is reached.

However in winter when we do ocasionally have a hook up i think a small fan heater like this might be just the ticket and save the diesel of course i cant see any problem with setting a low temperature on the thermostat and using it overnight and with the low wattage use on restricted hookups would be possible.

As for the ceramic bit the heating element is embeded in ceramic plates like the hair straightners so no exposed element.

peter - 2012-02-05 4:28 PM

What's so hazardous about a motorhome. The electric heating in a lot of vans uses the same principle of a fan heater, ie a heat source and a fan to circulate the heated air and a lot of people leave them on all the time in winter. Us included at the moment as it's a bit chilly at night in Spain.

Peter

Think of us in the UK shoveling snow and its bitter cold tonight, A bit chilly is good. Hope the sun is shining during the day :D

I thinks its Horses for courses

A stand alone fan heater is OK, but an oscillating one, I would worry that it might warm some part of the m/home too much. I would prefer one, I can aim and know where the heat is going !

Problem at night is they can be quite noisy when switching themselves on @ two in the morning.

Oil heaters OK, but I would not have one because they can leak and can be heavy. My son's flat burnt down due to a leaking oil heater, luckily it was in the evening. If the familly had been in bed, It could have been quite a differnt story/

We have a lowish wattage fan heater (lets face it, once heat is in the m/home it does not take too much to keep it warm) and a Dimplex airing cupboard heater. (500watt on a time switch) at night that provides a little back ground heat when needed.

Rgds

An earlier thread that may be useful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10757&posts=9

My fan-heater has an oscillating mode, but I never employ it - I suspect that all such heaters have the same oscillation-mode On or Off capability.

On campsite 230V hook-up in cold (March/November) weather I position the fan-heater between the cab seats so that it blows back down the length of the vehicle's interior. With the heater's thermostat set well down and on the 1kW setting its intermittent operation is plenty adequate for taking the chill off the living-area temperature. Although my Hobby's Truma C-6002EH can be used for 230V air-heating, its location directly beneath the bed means that the fan-heater-in-the-cab approach is much quieter.

It's possible that a fan-heater with a ceramic core is potentially safer than one with the traditional type of heating element, but it's not something that's worried me. Neither has leaving our heater running overnight ever caused me concern.

There are plenty of inexpensive lowish-power ceramic-core fan-heaters being marketed. For example, this non-oscillating model:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prem-I-Air-1800W-Upright-Ceramic-Heater/dp/B001M5IG80

(There's also a "Which?" review of portable heaters that's accessible to subscribers to that magazine.)

We have a ceramic fan-heater 1kw/2kw. Not oscillating in case it knocks/overheats near objects. Have used it on 2kw but generally 1kw and a mid-setting on the temperature switch is ample. Can't remember where we got it but was only 20 quid about 12 years ago Used it when we moved house and there was no gas on while we were decorating prior to moving in.

peter - 2012-02-05 4:28 PM

I suppose my view may be coloured by the fact that I used to use one to heat my workshop. One night I put it on to heat the workshop whilst we had our tea and the damn thing caught fire. Fortunately the workshop is attached to the house and has a fire alarm fitted so a quick blast from a dry powder extinguisher dealt with the problem and no harm was done. I still use a fan heater there but only run it when I'm working in there.

tonyishuk - 2012-02-05 5:36 PM

A stand alone fan heater is OK, but an oscillating one, I would worry that it might warm some part of the m/home too much. I would prefer one, I can aim and know where the heat is going !

Problem at night is they can be quite noisy when switching themselves on @ two in the morning.

Oil heaters OK, but I would not have one because they can leak and can be heavy. My son's flat burnt down due to a leaking oil heater, luckily it was in the evening. If the familly had been in bed, It could have been quite a differnt story/

We have a lowish wattage fan heater (lets face it, once heat is in the m/home it does not take too much to keep it warm) and a Dimplex airing cupboard heater. (500watt on a time switch) at night that provides a little back ground heat when needed.

Rgds

I am quite shocked, I always thought that 'Oil Filled Radiators' were the safest form of portable electric heating you can have , with no 'exposed elements' to catch fire, I often leave ours on in the Van unattended,

on low to keep it warm. I have two, and do the same with both, one in the Utility room at home.I always assumed they were as 'Robust' as standard central heating rads, I will give them a close check over now, to check for leaks. I hadn't heard of one catching fire before. Thanks for the info.

any electric heater can go wrong, we have had convertor catch fire at work. For ourselves a oil heater seems best for overnight use, quiet and less likely to catch fire if anything falls on it, we have used fan heater in past but found it too noisey. 500w does the job for use.

Just my 2d worth...we bought heaters last October in preparation for winter touring. Having done a bit of research we decided on two heaters.

One is a fan heater which we use evenings to heat the motorhome quickly....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000W-PORTABLE-SILENT-ELECTRIC-FLOOR-FAN-HEATER-HOT-COOL-UPRIGHT-/310357519927?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4842bfee37

Once up to a comfortable temp we use a 'non oil' filled rad to maintain the temp and to keep the chill overnight....'non oil' to avoid the 'remote' possibility of a fire.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152686/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATER.htm

flicka - 2012-02-06 9:43 PM

Hi Roger

I had a look at your Argos link for "non oil filled radiator" but it does not state when medium it has to replace oil (?)

It must be a fluid of some kind & wondered if it is shown in the product info document.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a convector heater.

colin - 2012-02-06 10:04 PM

flicka - 2012-02-06 9:43 PM

Hi Roger

I had a look at your Argos link for "non oil filled radiator" but it does not state when medium it has to replace oil (?)

It must be a fluid of some kind & wondered if it is shown in the product info document.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a convector heater.

Yes - that's what it says in the Argos on-line advert.

Rayjsj - 2012-02-06 10:31 AM

"" Snip ""

My son's flat burnt down due to a leaking oil heater, luckily it was in the evening. If the familly had been in bed, It could have been quite a differnt story/

Rgds

I am quite shocked, I always thought that 'Oil Filled Radiators' were the safest form of portable electric heating you can have , with no 'exposed elements' to catch fire, I often leave ours on in the Van unattended,on low to keep it warm.

" Snip""

My sons15 mins claim to fame.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/east-bays-courier/2451446/Familys-lucky-escape

Only to add that other similar heaters were found to be faulty in similar circumstances, so his handling of the units was not questioned.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-02-07 7:33 PM

Rayjsj - 2012-02-06 10:31 AM

"" Snip ""

My son's flat burnt down due to a leaking oil heater, luckily it was in the evening. If the familly had been in bed, It could have been quite a differnt story/

Rgds

I am quite shocked, I always thought that 'Oil Filled Radiators' were the safest form of portable electric heating you can have , with no 'exposed elements' to catch fire, I often leave ours on in the Van unattended,on low to keep it warm.

" Snip""

My sons15 mins claim to fame.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/east-bays-courier/2451446/Familys-lucky-escape

Only to add that other similar heaters were found to be faulty in similar circumstances, so his handling of the units was not questioned.

Rgds

thanks for posting the article, reading through it appears to be a 'Faulty batch' rather than an 'inherrant' fault in the 'type' I would think that the 'Overtemp' fusable link was either rated at too high a level, or not functioning at all. Its suposed to cut off the power when the oil reaches a certain temp and to 'Fail safe'. Independant from the 'ordinary thermostat'. I feel a bit better now. Ray

flicka - 2012-02-06 9:43 PMHi RogerI had a look at your Argos link for "non oil filled radiator" but it does not state when medium it has to replace oil (?) It must be a fluid of some kind & wondered if it is shown in the product info document.

I can't find any info on the 'filling' of this rad or other 'oil free' heaters of similar design.  However I think the design/filling is to make the heater operate in the same way as an oil filled rad in that it takes a while to heat up but retains it's heat longer than a normal panel convector heater.  The advantage is there is no oil to flow everywhere burning the place down should the worst case occur.

I am under the impression that the oil free radiators have no liquid or solid 'filling' like an oil filled radiator instead they use convection to distribute the generated heat, however there is no exposed element. Instead the element is enclosed in between sheets of mica. The following is copied from information on a suppliers web site.

Micathermic Heaters consist of one or more elements that is made up of two parts:

Nickel alloy

Mica

Nickel Alloy is the thermal element used to generate suitable heat for the designated wattage. The nickel alloy is housed between two thin sheets of Mica.

The name Mica was derived from the Latin micare, which means to shine, and is the general term for a large group of crystalline minerals most commonly found in the form of scales and sheets. For heating purposes the mica, used in sheet format, acts as an electrical insulator.

Mica is a very stable mineral and is:

completely inert to the action of water, most acids, alkalis, conventional solvents and oils.

stable when exposed to electricity, light, moisture, and extreme temperatures.

fire proof, incombustible and non-fl ammable.

Mica is a good insulator of electrical current, but does not inhibit the transfer of heat.

The unique construction of a Micathermic heating element allows heat transfer rapidly throughout the whole element with very good uniformity.

The thin construction means that the unit heats quicker (it becomes hot almost immediately) and begins to heat the room sooner. The faster a heater can bring a room up to temperature, the less power it uses. No pre-heat time required.

Micathermic heaters weigh approx. 50% less than traditional oil column heaters. The light weight design makes them easier to move around the home to where it is needed.

Operating without the use of fans also ensures moisture levels of the room are maintained, eliminating the problems of dehydrated skin often associated with fan assisted heating.

As the heaters do not re-circulate dust or other allergens, micathermic heaters are suitable for asthmatics and those with respiratory problems.

Hope this helps

Dave

Archived