Maps

gwyn

Been there, done that and they're either ring bound or unclear which. Local bookshop looked online for me and although the AA one said it was papreback, on bookshop's picture it was ringbound. Just thought if anyone had purchased one rather than risking mail order and getting the wrong type.

Guest Tracker

The AA atlas of Spain and Portugal is neither ring bound nor unclear!

However unlike the exceptional AA France atlas at 2.8 miles per inch Iberia is 4.7 miles per inch and it has a lot of smaller type font names that can make it harder to follow on the move.

However we mainly use ours as a back up to sat nav and for longer route planning and for that it is perfectly adequate - especially when read using a decent pair of specs!

That said, if they ever bring out a new version our along the lines of the France atlas we would buy one as we find that one with it's larger pages and larger scale easier to use!

It seems that the latest version of the AA atlas is the 6th - which was published in Jan 2010.

The scale is now 6.3 miles to the inch, but all the pictures I have seen of it are of a spiral bound version.

I believe that Michelin have published a similar book for 2012, but that also appears to be spiral bound.

I agree with you that spiral bound atlases are not user friendly after a couple of weeks in use.

;-)

gwyn, I've always found that it's best to get a map book when I enter the country I'm visiting. All the direction's are in their own language ie. signpost's read the same as in the map so no confusion. Hope this sounds right :-D I don't use sat nav it spoils the art of getting lost :-D

Dave

gwyn - 2012-02-10 8:30 PM

Thanks for replies, I think its going to end up being spiral bound to get a decent scale and I'm far too much of a control freak to be able to wait till we get there!

IMO non spiral bound are best, and the best Spain/Portugal is EuroAtlas GeoCenter 1:300,000.

ISBN 978-3-8297-6471-1 I obtained mine from the Map Shop in Upton upon Severn.

Just bought the 2012 Michelin version. Yes it is spiral bound.The AA version 6th edition is a bit out of date,. We found a lot of changes last year to roads. I like the spiral version as you can make it smaller to hold, but you do finish up with "confetti" on the floor My previous edition fell apart after 3 years use, so can,t complain. I like to keep my maps to hand while moving, as I navigate and OH drives. We do have a Tom Tom, but that does not "SEE" diversions, so a map is needed

There were only two copies (Spain/Portugal) in our WH Smiths, and no copies in Waterstones Plenty of French ones!

PJay

Archived