newbie going on a grand tour, looking for motorhome recommendations (please!)

BigManStraker

hi everyone

I've recently sold my flat, paid off the mortgage, banked the equity, and am taking a year's career break from work. I'm planning on buying a motorhome (budgeting 10-20k) and going round Europe with my girlfriend for a year to see all the amazing places I've always wanted to go to, and spend lots of time in pretty Mediterranean villages and on secluded beaches.

I was thinking of buying a secondhand coachbuilt motorhome, big enough for the two of us to live in for a year, but not too large, and was wondering what people would recommend, as I really don't know where to start.

I hope some people can give me some pointers and tips as to what sort of motorhome they think would be best for me. Thanks in advance

Guest JudgeMental

I would buy LHD either here or in Germany as much cheaper..have a look on this site when you have identified a few vans you like:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?lang=en&scopeId=MH

This German dealer where I bought our latest van has some bargains from time to time.....(use Google automatic translator)

http://www.duemo-duelmen.de/fahrzeuge-im-angebot/duelmen.html

click on "preise" in box and you will see what he has from the cheapest upwards....

Guest pelmetman

Do you know your way around a vehicle?.... ie do you know how to spot a pup?...........if not once you have found a likely vehicle take someone who knows what to look for ;-)..........that sorts the base vehicle :D

In the camper part, your best tool is your nose, if it smells damp Beware 8-).........and check everything works ;-)

Apart from that, in your price range you should get most of your money back after a year if your lucky B-)

Happy campering :-D

You both need to sit down and have a big think about how you will use the van on a day to day basis. Will you be using sites? If so then a full bathroom isn't really a priority. (Well not for a bloke anyway! You can count on one hand the number of campsite loos my precious has been into, never mind used!) If you intend to keep costs down as much as poss. by using aires and "freecamping" then a van with a reaonably sized shower and bathroom is a must. I would suggest both of you cutting your hair too! That way you can cut each others and save on hairdressing costs. It's eight quid for me to get mine cut here. It will be more than that abroad!

Same with a kitchen. Remember this isn't a holiday in the 2 weeks away and batter the plastic style! So you will be cooking virtually all your food in it. This is you both living together in a van instead of your home. You will need to budget just as you do at home. Eating out can be a decent drain on your funds. Shop at small named super markets. Lidl and Aldi are generally the motorhomers faves on a long tour. The big ones in France, Leclerc, Carrefourre, whilst stocking all your hearts desires are dearer than over here. So a decent stove and large fridge/freezer are important.

Sleeping wise, do you want to be making up a bed every night or is a fixed bed your preference? It can be fine making up the bed for a few weeks, but for 12 months? What if one of you is sick and needs to lie down? Or one wants an early night and the other wants to stay up reading/watching telly? If the lounge seats are the bed, where do you sit?

Do you want a small camper and be able to get to really little towns and villages? Or is a larger van with a bit more comfort, but reduced access your choice?

Storage! You will be carrying all your worldly possessions with you but where are you going to put them? Vans have weight restrictions so you will need to pack carefully so as not to go overweight. This has safety as well as financial implications so despite what you might see others doing make sure you stay legal and it's another less worry to take with you! Because of that a small camper type will have very little payload for full timing.

Talking of telly! If you are away for that length of time you will want to keep up with the news from home, even if you don't like other telly, you do miss news, and sports stuff. Internet access when on the move isn't the easiest thing to sort out. Camp sites do in the main have access, some free, some not. Otherwise it's internet cafes or a "dongle". What works here won't work abroad either. Or if it does you will need to sell an internal organ to pay the roaming charges! Remember to turn your I phone off roaming too!

Have you done your research on aires and so on. Motorhoming on the mainland is so much easier than in the UK. The local authorities and businesses are far more wlecoming than here. That said many places are getting more regulated and "camping on secluded beaches" is a long gone perk. For example, many beaches in Italy are private and public access isn't allowed. Many places in Spain now move on people camping on the prom or car parks. Camp site standards can be a bit hit and miss too. The Caravan Club Europe Books 1&2 are very good reference books. Vicarious Books stock all you will need book wise. "All the Aires" books for every part of the world you may visit are there. An ACSI Book is also a must for discount camping in Europe.

Have you factored into your trip the fact the van will need to return to the UK to be MOT'd. You will be driving illegally if you don't so your insurance will be invalid. Road tax will still need to be paid even if outside the UK, so that will need looking at. You can buy it online of course but the disc will only be posted to inside the UK. Do you want to take the chance of it gong missing in the post if someone from home sends it to you.

You will need a "home address" in the UK for insurance for travel, vehicle etc. Without one you aren't going anywhere! Access to cash needs sorting too! A Caxton Card or similar can help with getting cash safely. Credit card purchases can be expensive once exchange and fees are added. Plus not everywhere accepts them. E.G. French fuel stations mostly shut on Sunday or for a long lunch, even supermarkets, and getting fuel isn't easy. Many don't take Visa, Barclaycard or Amex, and you can't get a French one without a French address, so make sure you fuel up in time.

Site seeing in places like Rome, Paris, Venice etc is bl**dy dear so make sure you budget for that too!

Visit wise. Venice is a must, as is Rome and Florence. barcelona is fantastic! But you will see as much spell binding stuff outside the tourist areas too, so try not to have too much of a firm itinerary. You will be on the way to somewhere and you'll meet someone who will tell you about something in the opposite direction!

Some countries have different legal requirements for vehicles in Winter, i.e. special tyres, tyre chains etc. So perhaps you need to be out of there by winter. Especially if you van isn't up to freezing temps and snow.

Get a clock with a day/date on it because I can guarantee that by the end of week two you won't remember what day or date it is! Where you've been will also fade into one big mass too, so a good idea for memories is one of you to write a diary or "ships log" at the end of the day!

There is a pile more stuff to think about but this will be enough for now! I'm sorry if you have done a lot of this planning, but many don't and end up getting caught out. Usuallyat night, in a storm or at a police check point!

Have a good, safe memorable trip!

Hi Brig & welcome to the forum.

Another point will be to check your Driving licence for what categories of vehicle you are entitled to drive.

From your post, I assume you are reasonable young & therefore may only have entitlement for vehicles upto 3500kg MAM.

Going on tour for a year, I would opt for as big a payload as you can find.

Your budget will restrict you to an older Motorhome, so mechanical & habitation condition should be a prime consideration as any warranty will be for a limited period.

This website may be of interest. & give you some pointers.

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/buyers-guide.html

Have a look on e-Bay "Classified Ads" & Autotrader to get an indication of what is on the market.

On top of all the advice you have been given so far (If you;ve not changed your mind!) I would suggest you go to the Peterborough show in April and have a look at all the different layouts available. Admitedly, with your budget you won't be able to buy a new one but if you don't do enough research, a year in the wrong van will be a nightmare.

When you decide and agree on a layout or two that suits you, then start looking for something like that in the classifieds, Ebay etc in your budget.

Bear in mind you will also need accessories as well unless you buy private and some are included, once again it depends on what you intend to use ie sites, aires, wild camping etc and would suggest you check for used things on these sites as buying new will cost you a fortune before you set off.

Most important, have a great time and enjoy yourselves

Mike

wow! thanks for the tips and advice everyone. There's lots for me to digest at work tomorrow!

I've been shopping with Vicarious, and already got an ASCI card and CD-rom, as well as Aire guides for France, Iberia, italy and Germany and their 'Go Motorhoming' book. I've got a Caxton card already too.

Maybe I should be thinking of paying more than 20k for a motorhome? that just seemed like a sensible figure looking at second-hand ones on ebay. It just seems like there's so much choice on what to get that I don't really know where to start as a newbie. Are there any manufacturers that people would recommend or suggest I stay clear of?

Making sure it's newly MOT'd sounds important, I don't want to have to return to the UK just to MOT the vehicle. If I'm honest I'm not too clued up on car mechanics, so I guess I might be best getting a basic book on the subject too.

I'm really looking forward to it, I've got pretty bored of the daily grind of work and paying the mortgage / bills every month. It'll be great to have a big adventure in some of the most beautiful places on Earth. Me and my girlfriend aren't fancy living types, so I think we'll be ok living pretty basically for 10-12 months. I'm probably over romanticising it, but I really like the idea of having meals and a glass of wine on the beach looking at the sea plenty of nights, or by an old Greek or Roman ruin

If your not very mechanical then perhaps you should think about European breakdown cover. The RAC do it and I am sure other companies do too.

Have a good trip, I think you will do well and enjoy yourselves, as I am sure you will.

Guest JudgeMental

Just saw this on ebay......looks pretty genuine to me and 21k. It was the first resonable looking van I came across, i bet there are loads more

all the long term touring additions you need, with van blitz security (very important) dead locks, 2 solar panels (for long term beach camping:-D) refillable gas tanks, twin leisure batteries etc....etc...

.http://www.keyhambooks.freeserve.co.uk/hymermainpage.htm

Hi

A couple of years ago in Spain I met an Ozzie couple doing what you are planning and they purchased a quite old van from a dealer fully equipped but the clever part was they agreed a resell price with the dealer so they knew what their total cost was likely to be at the end of the tour.

Not a bad idea in your case then if after your tour you have had enough for a while you know you can get rid of it and exactly how much it will have cost you. Should you wish to carry on then you can keep the van or trade-up for a better model

Have a great time :'(

JudgeMental - 2012-02-09 12:47 PM

Just saw this on ebay......looks pretty genuine to me and 21k. It was the first resonable looking van I came across, i bet there are loads more

all the long term touring additions you need, with van blitz security (very important) dead locks, 2 solar panels (for long term beach camping:-D) refillable gas tanks, twin leisure batteries etc....etc...

thanks for the link Judge, my girlfriend loves Hymers, so she'd be chuffed if we ended up getting one.

Is there any limit to what size motorhome I can drive? I passed my test in 1990, and looking at my license I think it says I can drive class B, BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E, which would seem to cover pretty much any size motorhome I could want.

I really don't want to have to return back to the UK in freezing cold January to re-MOT the vehicle though, so I guess I may be best looking for one in March that has just been MOT'd and has 12 months to run on it.

Guest pelmetman
BigManStraker - 2012-02-09 3:57 PM

thanks for the link Judge, my girlfriend loves Hymers, so she'd be chuffed if we ended up getting one.

Is there any limit to what size motorhome I can drive? I passed my test in 1990, and looking at my license I think it says I can drive class B, BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E, which would seem to cover pretty much any size motorhome I could want.

I really don't want to have to return back to the UK in freezing cold January to re-MOT the vehicle though, so I guess I may be best looking for one in March that has just been MOT'd and has 12 months to run on it.

I think a standard UK licence allows you to drive up to 3.5 ton, with regard to MOT you could just have it tested again in the spring or summer, there's no rule that says you have to wait the full 12 months ;-)

"I'm probably over romanticising it, but I really like the idea of having meals and a glass of wine on the beach looking at the sea plenty of nights, or by an old Greek or Roman ruin"

If you fancy having a drink, looking at a Welsh ruin, I'll send you the Mother-in-laws address in Wales to get you started! If you can survive that, 12 months in Europe will be a doddle

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
BigManStraker - 2012-02-09 3:57 PM

Just saw this on ebay......looks pretty genuine to me and 21k. It was the first reasonable looking van I came across, i bet there are loads more

this particular van is 3500kg so like pelmetman says can be driven on a car licence.

You will be hard pressed to find a van fitted with all the necessary extras for long term touring and this one is?

Just get it MOT'd again before you leave?

it just jumped out at me as perfect for what you need with all these very expensive extras....Nice and open inside with lots of lounging space and a big (ready made up) pull down bed. Obviously all the normal caveats apply when buying? HPI, Damp check, mechanical check.....

worth noting is is is fully winterised, with double floor and all tanks inboard...nice and snug in those long winter nights...

better to buy in winter when prices better...in the spring prices and interest rise substantially..Plus you get a chance to live with the van, have some trips away and get properly used to it..

Guest Tracker

A year in a van without the opportunity or resources to change it if it is the wrong layout would be more of a punishment than a holiday so have you considered hiring a van for at least a weekend as a precursor to buying?

If nothing else you will get an insight into many aspects including the sort of practical things you might need to obtain to make life comfortable as well as an indication as to the type of layout that best suits you,

Some hire companies used to refund you the hire cost if you buy a van from them but I don't know if that still applies.

If you buy from a dealer you may well get a full year of warranty on base and conversion as well as European recovery which might give some protection and peace of mind.

There are several good dealers within 50 or so miles of Bristol so why not google a few and have a shufty to see if anything takes your eye? If you then want to post a link to one, or several, specific vans no doubt you will get plenty of observations from the masses to help you with the plus and minus points!

I would have thought that £20k is more than enough to get a decent enough van for the job and the beauty is that the older the van the better built and more durable it will tend to be - plus it will take a years full timing and associated mileage better as a proportion of it's value than a newer van when you come to sell it on.

In your price range and age of van I would consider anything with the Auto Sleepers name on it to be more durable than most vans - British or European - but their downside can be a lack of effective insulation for colder climes - but that's not a problem if you stay where it's warm!

If we are talking Fiat/Peugeot/ Citroen, engine wise the old 2.5 diesel is noisy but tough, the 1.9 and 2.0 diesels are a bit underpowered but OK if you are in no great rush and don't mind slow uphill progress, the 2.8 is very torquey but a bit gruff, and the best of the bunch in my view are the Fiat 2.3 td and the Peugeot 2.2 hdi. Others can no doubt comment on vices and virtues of the Merc, VW, and Ford engines of which I have no knowledge.

Wished I could help but alas I cant I am the last one to talk because I outed ours , nagged the old man to get rid of our Bessacarr for a new Hobby with a big garage because it would solve all our problems.

It didnt

8-) I hated the cupboards so much so that I nagged and nagged and we outted it loosing 5000 we had the vehicle from Nov til Feb brand new . May as well stood over a drain and tipped the money down it which just goes to show and we have been at it a while.

Rich 's suggestion try out if you can do so, is a good idea and factor all the thing you wish you could do in it . Outside shower connection point ?. for a wash off on the beach.

Your'e young be free and happy, enjoy it :D

brilliant, I'll re-MOT whatever I buy before I go to give me a full 12 months. I'll also head out to check a few of the second hand motorhomes at local dealers in the next few weeks to see what looks like it would offer the best option for internal space. thanks for all the advice everyone.

Guest JudgeMental

just remember you will need to factor in all the extras for full time living. which can cost up wards of £5000

gas tanks, security locks, alarm, awning, bike rack, extra batteries, solar panels, safe, inverter, TV, sat dish? etc......and why I linked the hymer as it has most of what you will probably need

and if you start with a double floored fully winterised van your heating (gas) costs will be lower and you will be more comfortable with no worries re frozen pipes etc..... On a 12 month trip only about a third of the time will be in glorious weather the rest a real mix..

why pay a dealers premium......utter madness IMO, most warranty's not worth the paper they are written on, and pretty useless if your in Greece and have a problem

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2012-02-09 5:44 PM

just remember you will need to factor in all the extras for full time living. which can cost up wards of £5000

gas tanks, security locks, alarm, awning, bike rack, extra batteries, solar panels, safe, inverter, TV, sat dish? etc......and why I linked the hymer as it has most of what you will probably need

and if you start with a double floored fully winterised van your heating (gas) costs will be lower and you will be more comfortable with no worries re frozen pipes etc..... On a 12 month trip only about a third of the time will be in glorious weather the rest a real mix..

why pay a dealers premium......utter madness IMO, most warranty's not worth the paper they are written on, and pretty useless if your in Greece and have a problem

How do you arrive at £5,000 for the extras Eddie - it seems a lot to me?

Gas tanks are not essential - nice - but plenty of folks manage very well on either exchange bottles or one exchange plus one refillable? Your choice?

If you use sites with electric you will not need solar panels but I agree an extra leisure battery is never a bad idea.

Sat dish? Depends - are you TV addicts or will DVDs or computer downloads and reading keep you happy?

Bikes and bike rack? Probably useful, but only if you enjoy riding a bike?

Dealers do mostly offer a 30 day exchange scheme, plus some guarantees that you are not buying a rebuilt write off or a stolen van.

Warranties from the better dealers do cover full European use but it will involve potentially expensive and inconvenient phone calls to the UK to authorise repairs - still better than paying for it yourself though in the rare event of a major failure? Your choice of course.

I do agree though that Hymer do make good vans!

Hi

Another more prosaic consideration is your ability to use the NHS if you are abroad for more than 3 months. Be aware that you lose your NHS entitlement if you reside overseas/out of country for 3 months+.

How this can manifest is, for example, the HA, or a hospital, write to you and letter is returned "gone away" - your GP will get a letter taking you off the practice list. ( the HA more often send letters to ladies for various reasons than to men but it does happen)There are other instances where this can happen. Often people are away and nobody knows in which case no problem but if it does arise it can be hassle getting back into the system.

Thelearn is make sure you are registed with your GP at an address where somebody will open your post and take action. Having worked in NHS for some years before i retired i have first hand experience of the hassle this can cause.

Also, make sure you have health travel insurance for your time abroad.

Peter

Archived