The Long Road South by Brian Fairbrother

terryW

For many years now we have used the popular route down from Calais that runs through Rouen, Dreux, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Angouleme and on through Bordeaux, etc. That was until our return trip last year when we sat in an 18 kilometre traffic-jam that ran from Dreux through St Remy-sur-avre and up to the junction with the N154. We had already decided that the stretch between Poitiers and Tours was sprouting more roundabouts than mushrooms on a mushroom farm and that a spell on the motorway to by-pass that section was called for on our next trip down. Still thinking about our route I come across the very interesting article in the December MMM “The Long road south” by Brian Fairbrother.

At first glance this appears to be the answer we were looking for by taking a slightly more northerly route through Le Mans and Saumur before rejoining our original route at Poitiers and totally avoiding the two sections that gave us so much trouble last year. Nothing in the follow-up letters in the February copy of the magazine disagrees with this route but knowing the depth of knowledge and experience of these roads that exists on the forum I would like to hear what the general view is of these routes or does someone have another to offer

(?)

We have used the Le Mans / Saumur route several times.

It is fine but with some delays, I can't remember where, we don't rush anywhere so what might be fine for my very steady progress not might be good for some others.

I don't often use the motorways and often use smaller roads between the Rn s , plodding along at 50 mph and doing about 100 - 200 miles a day.

H

Although I will not be travelling as far south as yourself I look forward to seeing your replies. I always seem to get lost in Rouen but this has resulted in a very entertaining route. We travel through a forest for a good few miles to Sahurs. There is then a free ferry across the Seine to La Bouille which is a really nice village. We stop at the side of the Seine and have a snack.

Wish you all the best on your journeys and as I said look forward to replies.

Hi

we used the route and some of the stops in the article when we went down at end of december and again when we returned the other day.

The route worked well for us and some of the stops were excellent. we will certainly use this route again next year.

Both ways we stoppet at Pont de l'arche - only 4 spaces and what was good for us was a vet for the dog 50m from the aire.

Peter

Will be following the route in early March as we avoid toll roads. Have used some of the route before. unfortunately last time we went on the toll road for a short distance in order to miss the trafic around Biaritz and finished up getting stuck for 4 hours because, first gales had blown trees ( it was in late January or early February). across the carriageway and then there was some strike by Spanish lorry drivers who blocked the exits with their trucks.

terryW - 2012-02-09 7:03 PM

For many years now we have used the popular route down from Calais that runs through Rouen, Dreux, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Angouleme and on through Bordeaux, etc. That was until our return trip last year when we sat in an 18 kilometre traffic-jam that ran from Dreux through St Remy-sur-avre and up to the junction with the N154. We had already decided that the stretch between Poitiers and Tours was sprouting more roundabouts than mushrooms on a mushroom farm and that a spell on the motorway to by-pass that section was called for on our next trip down. Still thinking about our route I come across the very interesting article in the December MMM “The Long road south” by Brian Fairbrother.

At first glance this appears to be the answer we were looking for by taking a slightly more northerly route through Le Mans and Saumur before rejoining our original route at Poitiers and totally avoiding the two sections that gave us so much trouble last year. Nothing in the follow-up letters in the February copy of the magazine disagrees with this route but knowing the depth of knowledge and experience of these roads that exists on the forum I would like to hear what the general view is of these routes or does someone have another to offer

(?)

I've posted this alternative for the St Remy stretch before, but repeat it in case it has been missed. Follow Brian's instructions to Nonancourt, and then veer off east to either A20 via Limoges, or A75 via Clermont Ferrand, and then into Spain via Perpignan. A75 will take you higher in altitude and, being further east, is more prone to weather disruption in winter. There are toll by-passes on both routes, but long stretches are in any case toll free autoroute.

If you decide to take the more easterly routes, and want to avoid the St Remy-sur-Avre jam on the N20 just east of Nonancourt, turn left off the N154 just south of Evreux, at junc 10, sp Pray, St Andre and Grossoeuvre, left at roundabout onto the D547 and under N154 and then follow signs for St Andre onto D52. At roundabout just before St Andre-de-l'Eure follow D52 "Centre Ville" for 500 metres, then take right turn, still D52, sp Anet and Nonancourt. Follow this round sharp LH bend to T junction with D833, turn left onto D833 sp Ivry-la-Bataille and Anet and, after 300 metres, take right fork back onto D52, sp St Laurent-des-Bois, Marcilly and Dreux. Follow D52/D143/D16 for 20km through St Laurent, Marcilly, St Georges-Motel, and Cocherelle to T junc with D928. Turn right onto D928 sp Dreux for just over 1km to left turn onto D156 sp Evreux, Alencon, Chartres and Le Mans to roundabout. At roundabout follow sp Chartres, onto N154, under N12, and continue on N154 to Chartres. You are now on your own. I have used this going both ways (sat nav helps! ), and although it is a bit slower slower than the N20 via St Remy on a good day, it is far quicker than St Remy on a bad day! Good roads, good signposting, more attractive route. So, you pays your money!

Thanks Brian for that very detailed deviation from the normal route.

Looking at what you provided I think I am going to stay with my original plan but incorporate your detour around St Remy and use the toll-road between Tours and Poitiers. Not for any other reason than we are familiar with the route and know our travel times and stopping placed.

Can I add the route through Rouen described by Brian Fairbrother is the one we have used for a number of years now but last year being behind schedule on the return I decided to use the motorway and let the satnav find the quickest route. Big mistake that was, never again >:-(

As a PS the traffic-jam we met at St Remy was a Saturday lunchtime in early July, not good timing, but when away I tend to forget what day of the week it is.

terryW - 2012-02-10 1:57 PM

Thanks Brian for that very detailed deviation from the normal route.

Looking at what you provided I think I am going to stay with my original plan but incorporate your detour around St Remy and use the toll-road between Tours and Poitiers. Not for any other reason than we are familiar with the route and know our travel times and stopping placed.

Can I add the route through Rouen described by Brian Fairbrother is the one we have used for a number of years now but last year being behind schedule on the return I decided to use the motorway and let the satnav find the quickest route. Big mistake that was, never again >:-(

As a PS the traffic-jam we met at St Remy was a Saturday lunchtime in early July, not good timing, but when away I tend to forget what day of the week it is.

IMO going south you'll only need to join the A10 Autoroute just north of Chatellerault jcn 26 and off at jcn30.

The other section of peage we use is A63 north of Bayonne jcn 7 and off at jcn 3 or 4 south of Biarritz.

Doing this removes two very slow sections of old RN routes, and well worth the tolls.

starvin marvin - 2012-02-10 5:35 PM

IMO going south you'll only need to join the A10 Autoroute just north of Chatellerault jcn 26 and off at jcn30.

The other section of peage we use is A63 north of Bayonne jcn 7 and off at jcn 3 or 4 south of Biarritz.

Doing this removes two very slow sections of old RN routes, and well worth the tolls.

Thanks for the info, looking at the map I can see what you mean.

Archived