Mice

crocket

If you go to B&Q you should find both Rentokil and own brand mouse killers. Each pack contains two plastic boxes, pre baited, with two chambers per box. Mouse is attracted by bait, noses in, eats bait, and dies. Instructions imply life of 7 - 10 days, but we have left in our attic for months. They state mice generally die away from the box, but ours seem to have killed field mice almost instantly. One dead mouse does not seem to put another off! Dispose of with rubbish once full!

You will need to try to find out where they are getting in and to block it.

Go all out to get rid of them.

A few years ago, when I was a tugger, we noticed a packet of dried pasta, which was in a top cupboard, had been emptied. The pasta was found under a lounge seat amongst the bedding which had been chewed. We emptied everything out of the van and found all sorts of things had been chewed. The little bu**er had even chewed the whole of the wiring loom from the towing electrics down to the zig unit!! What a mess!! To make things worse, (in the eyes of my better half), when my wife was emptying the last cupboard, it jumped out on her and bolted out of the door. Dont know who was more afraid, her or the mouse. We sold the van a couple of days later at a loss because of the damage and ditched all bedding etc.

WildBill

Been 4 days now and no sign of them,3 traps in van plus "screamer" and Seats are being repared a trap under van as well.Would not have believed they would do that much damage,glad I caught them early on.Seats are being repared locally,lucky not that much damage.On MOUSEWATCH from now on regularly! Happy travels all.....Chris

A word of caution - you shouldn't really use break-backtraps outside in the open (under the van) You will more than likely catch a bird - Blackbirds especially.

If you do want to use them outside, cut a couple of mouse size holes (say 20mm square) in an old ice cream container, put the trap in that and replace the lid.

Similarly don't use humane traps, they are not humane - most small mammals die of starvation because no one inspects them x2 per day as required.

I've only ever used humane traps and have always had success. Have regularly humanely trapped / released rats too, though I did modify the rat trap as it was pretty poorly engineered on purchase. I've personally never found it particularly difficult to deal with mice and never had to kill. It does take a bit more effort though. There are some decent ideas on the below link once you get past the marketing.

If I were you I would keep quiet about releasing rats. It is illegal. They are classified as vermin. Same a squirrels - trap it & you must not release them but kill them. The DEFRA approved method is to put them in a hessian sack and beat them with a stick or cudgel - Charming.

Tried humane trapsbut got a bit fed up with the VERMIN ripping my motorhome to bits while mr "nice guy " tries to catch them humanely. Love animals but if they had damaged your pride and EXPENSIVE joy your attitude might change towards them.As said by most people on here only way is to KILL the little pests so they cannot return.Soft touch is expensive!

I loaned a couple of rocking traps to some fellow campers who had a mouse for weeks. They were ready bated with Cadburys caramel chocolate. It's sticky and can be pushed on to the cap end of the trap. Normal chocolate can roll out. Next day they had two mice.

It can't fail.

Good Luck

crocket - 2012-02-23 11:01 PMTried humane trapsbut got a bit fed up with the VERMIN ripping my motorhome to bits while mr "nice guy " tries to catch them humanely. Love animals but if they had damaged your pride and EXPENSIVE joy your attitude might change towards them.As said by most people on here only way is to KILL the little pests so they cannot return.Soft touch is expensive!

Predictable.

The thing is though, other people read this stuff and if just one of them sometime in the future tries (the successful) alternative to merely destroying animals that become an inconvenience, then the thread has not simply been a killers' charter.

'Most' people used to think the earth was flat too.

crinklystarfish - 2012-02-24 9:53 AM
crocket - 2012-02-23 11:01 PMTried humane trapsbut got a bit fed up with the VERMIN ripping my motorhome to bits while mr "nice guy " tries to catch them humanely. Love animals but if they had damaged your pride and EXPENSIVE joy your attitude might change towards them.As said by most people on here only way is to KILL the little pests so they cannot return.Soft touch is expensive!

Predictable.

The thing is though, other people read this stuff and if just one of them sometime in the future tries (the successful) alternative to merely destroying animals that become an inconvenience, then the thread has not simply been a killers' charter.

'Most' people used to think the earth was flat too.
And that it makes perfect sense to Slaughter Badgers !! which it DOES NOT. (mind you I hate to think what an 'Angry Badger' could do to the interior, or exterior of a Motorhome , if it felt like it). *-) Ray

Hello

Our van is kept on a farm secure site and just recently we have started having visits from mice. So far all they have done is nibble the rubber edge of the doormat.

I thought I had better do something before they could do any more damage so I put down 3 traps (the traditional sort) baited with peanut butter.

When checking a few days later I found no mice but one trap sprung but bait still in place, one not sprung and bait gone and the third trap - had disappeared! My wife and I have looked everywhere - under the wardrobe and fridge etc but there is no sign. I can only imagine one of the little critters had got a leg or tail trapped and dragged the trap away.

Tried to buy some mothballs from my local hardware shop, mice don't like them apparently, but I was told they are now 'illegal' and not available!

I have had a good look round under the van to try to see where they are getting in but there is nothing obvious. I am going to block up any holes in the van with wire wool, this is supposed to help deter them.

Paul

Paul,

Buy yourself a couple of 'Screamers' you can get 9v powered ones, they are good for keeping the little blighters away, but not so good if they have already built a nest in the van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-MODEL-Ultrasonic-Battery-Rodent-Rat-Mice-Repeller-E-books-/300661608724?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item4600d41114

They do work in a van stored away from mains power. Mine hasn't had a 'visit' in 6 years.

Ray

Mothballs....go on Ebay only around £3 for 20, dont "arf stink though! I bought a screamer for £8, mains one and leave a couple of baited spring traps in the van all time not using it Also trap inside margerine carton (with hole in for entry ) under van.

Archived