Excel Motorhome Show

bobalobs

For the last few months I have been swamped with publicity and ticket offers for the above show. I am not going and regret the end of the Earls Court show. I shall be interested to hear from independent visitors if it is well attended and if it was worth the time and cost of travelling to East London?

Guest JudgeMental

was going today but had a bit of a heavy Valentines night out*-)

Will go Saturday instead and report back,. I must say the website is very poor for information, no plan or info on facilities, eating places etc....that I can see anyway..

we live in South London so its very convenient. If I'm buying I go to Dusseldorf show as it is enormous with everything available on display...I am fully prepared to be underwhelmed :-D

We thought it was fantastic big and airey lots of room , not tripping over people. We went yesterday on the first day and have to say it wasnt really packed out . Yes there was alot of people there hundreds no doubt of exhibitioners there also .

But on the whole big airey and bright . Food and eating places are in abundance but food is exceptionally over priced it cost £16 for a roll and a burger no drinks *-) .

Nice massive toilets and plenty of them easy access to go outside nice & dry we had a nice day and would definately go again .

It cost 10 per adult on the gate and free for me as I had fred in her wheelchair .

We went yesterday and had a good day. Not too busy so able to look at all we wanted. Much easier to negotiate than NEC as all closer together. Lots of eating places between the two halls. Easy access by tube which we liked.

This link is the online brochure, can't remember where I downloaded from, may have been Roadpro if it doesn't work.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/5fbfeae9?dm_i=B20,P1Z0,1D1JL2,20S1O,1#/5fbfeae9/1

Guest JudgeMental

Its going to appeal to those who live in te S/E like us....I though it finished on Saturday but just realised its Sunday so may well go then.

Wife could make it today but not rest of the week, so it has to be the weekend.....

Thanks Lorrie for link to brochure!

Yes we enjoyed our visit yesterday and spent a lot of time climbing in and out of vans, interspersed with cappucinos and lemon cake on the Caravan Club stand!

Couldn't believe the couple who strode across the CC stand, nearly sending my wife flying, in order to grab the last empty table.........and then proceeded to get out their own huge flask and food. Must have been tuggers  :lol:

The best thing about it was that there wasn't anything there to persuade us to change our 2008 Cheyenne. It's not perfect in every way, but then they're all a compromise to some extent.

We were offered a deal to end all deals from Swift, friendly helpful advice from Autotrail and 'you can only look if we accompany you' from Southern MH's/Concorde (so we didn't). It was good to see Niesman's, Chausson etc. in the flesh metal and haven't some of the new models gone a bit too bling? Best of the bunch, apart from Autotrail? Dethleffs! There's something special about their interior design and finish and we really liked them.

As it was Valentines Day I treated my wife to a strip of Astro Turf, some plastic shower shoes and a mop. I know how to treat a woman to a good time! And, to balance it out a bit, I bought an Electrobike from AS Bikes  How we enjoyed struggling with the box back to the car! Robert's daughter and my wife thought that it would be easier to wheel the bike, but what do they know!

All in all an enjoyable day, partly because it was rather quiet, but that made it so easy to view the vans. Clearly the rest of the week's attendance will determine whether it's repeated in the future but for those of us in and around the capital it's a good location, not expensive if you bought the tickets in advance and Free parking to boot!

we were the very lucky recipients of two free tickets from MMM (first time we haev even won anything!), and are taking the car up tomorrow...about 2 hours drive, but quicker and chepaer than the train..that's assuming we find the place via the satnav!!

we're looking forwrd to the show,and hope it is rather better populated with dealers/accessories then the first one held there some years ago after the demise of the Earls Court Show.

michele - 2012-02-15 9:42 PM

I'd take your own drink at 3.30 a cuppa mind you we only paid for one as Swift old saleman from Brownhills gave us coffee and then At salesman . :D

Given that we recommended an AT to you and we bought one and they have been monitoring this thread we'll try our luck on the AT stand then.

JudgeMental - 2012-02-15 11:42 PM

there are a lot better E bikes aroung then those that AT are selling......

AT (presumably Auto-Trail) sell motorhomes, whereas A.S. Bikes sell E-bikes. In any case, what does "a lot better" mean - a lot cheaper, a lot higher specification, a lot better value for money?

(Nit-picking comments deserve nit-picking responses, lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Like anything you have to do your homework. a couple of forum members bought these bikes and soon came to regret it and they posted such over on pedelec forum. If people want to impulse buy at shows so be it ..it is their money. If happy with cheap generic Chinese bikes fine by me.

anyone drive up?? please let me know what the parking was like, as we may choose to drive instead. ticket says subject to availability so dont want to get there and not be able to park. *-)

JudgeMental - 2012-02-16 11:47 AM

Like anything you have to do your homework. a couple of forum members bought these bikes and soon came to regret it and they posted such over on pedelec forum. If people want to impulse buy at shows so be it ..it is their money. If happy with cheap generic Chinese bikes fine by me...

Conversely, feedback from forum members on AS Bikes E-bikes on the following link was 100% positive:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26505&start=1&posts=16

Guest JudgeMental

well...I go to a green grocers to buy fruit and veg. to the off licence to buy drink, and to a motorhome show to buy.................? :-D

just horrible looking cheap Chinese bikes IMO

Guest JudgeMental

probably not a cyclist then ....:D

Anyone drive up?? please let me know what the parking was like, as we may choose to drive instead.

ticket says subject to availability so dont want to get there and not be able to park.*-)

JudgeMental - 2012-02-16 3:30 PMprobably not a cyclist then ....:D Anyone drive up?? please let me know what the parking was like, as we may choose to drive instead.ticket says subject to availability so dont want to get there and not be able to park.*-)

It's taken a day and a half to get a helmet, spoke spanner and to fit lights etc.. Well there have been many interruptions! Just had a first ride (first time on a bike for many years!) and I can say that the gears are excellent, the front suspension is just right and the electric motor can be used to assist osteoarthritic knees in the steepest bits. I think that it's going to be a good way to get exercise without the knee jarring caused by walking.

We drove up by car which was easy and parking is free. We arrived at 10:25 and there was quite a queue inside the multi storey car park. Twice the cars behind us were routed to new areas so we missed out both times. All in all it took about 15mins to park. But you're right under the halls, so it's a short walk to get in.

JudgeMental - 2012-02-16 11:47 AM

anyone drive up?? please let me know what the parking was like, as we may choose to drive instead. ticket says subject to availability so dont want to get there and not be able to park. *-)

Just back from our trip to Excel, and yes, we drove up from Eastbourne, just under 2 hrs no delays. Were there by about 09.40, parking dead easy, but really glad of both the Satnav postcode, and good signage on the roads for final approaches.......coming out was worse as the Satnav doesnt pick up a signal undtil you are in your way...and you dont know whether to turn left or right on exit of the car park, as sign for the M25 doesnt say which direction! 50/50chance and we got the wrong 50!!! Still Tomtom picked us up quite quickly and got us back to the correct road.

Show was good, though a lot of non -exhibitors, esepcially continental manufacturers we thought. We did purchase a couple of high-back lounging/dining/leyback chairs and footrestwe had been looking around for some time, at good price, and there were a lot of 'periphery' type stalls. Nothing really new on the motorhome front we thought, but then we are not looking to change - the price differential is incredibly large!

A good day out, not busy, loads of reps on the stands looking for customers!!

Hi

we also went up today. Plently of stands and space but i thought it was not very well attended by the public and by the time we left at just after 4pm there was a distinct "mary celeste" feel to parts of the halls with salesmen standing around and no punters.

That being said a good selection of motorhomes to poke around. we are limited to a lenght of 6M by space at home and it seemed there are less and less of these about as all they seem to be suffering from being oversize.

I have to say i have been tempted by a panel van and am currently fighting temptation! - i have only had my current van for 3 years (28000 miles).

Peter

We're going tomorrow (Fri) - got our tickets and carpark pass, and plan to be there before opening time so "parking subject to availability" SHOULDN'T be a problem.

We're assuming "passes out" will be possible, as we're going in the van and organising our own lunch.

As for navigation, we're handy for the A13 so how hard can it be? (Oops, sounding like Richard Hammond there!)

No need to go into Cong Zone, but it's probably inside LEZ - who cares, we're Euro 4! :-D

We'll let you know how it goes.

Tony Jones - 2012-02-16 9:12 PM

We're going tomorrow (Fri) - got our tickets and carpark pass, and plan to be there before opening time so "parking subject to availability" SHOULDN'T be a problem.

We're assuming "passes out" will be possible, as we're going in the van and organising our own lunch.

As for navigation, we're handy for the A13 so how hard can it be? (Oops, sounding like Richard Hammond there!)

No need to go into Cong Zone, but it's probably inside LEZ - who cares, we're Euro 4! :-D

We'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, passes out are available - actually a wrist band rathr than the rubber stamp on your hand you used to get at NEC.

I'm sure even coming from the M25/ J2 we were heading on the A13/A12 for a short distance...I just followed the Satnav and road signs!

....parking with the motorhome, you will need to check before you get too far, as the main parking is multi storey low height barrier underheath the hall itself. I noticed there was a 'lorry/commercial vehicle' parking area on teh way in, but didnt spot any motorhomes - there are a few parking attendants around and about so shouldnt be too much of a problem - or possibly phone them before you get there?

Archived