motorhome parking

mickcope

I am thinking about getting an Adria Twin Hi Top to tour the south west.

What is like parking in the towns if we want to get out and about with the Dog , WIll there be easy parking or will the hi top prevent me from finding places

Cheers

Mick Cope

Hi Mick and welcome. I guess the short and not very helpful answer is what's the parking like in your nearest Town for a high top?

If it's anything like my Town it's none existent.

Good luck with your question but of course it would be helpful if you could specify some actual Towns rather than a large swathe of the UK :-D

Martyn

We have a high top panel van conversion (actually higher than most) and it is our only vehicle. We don't find parking a major issue. The van is 18 feet 6 inches long which is probably about 18 inches shorter than the current Adria Twin. We accept that parking in the centre of towns may be a problem with height barriers, multi-storey car parks and tight spaces etc but we are happy to park on the outskirts and usually find on-street parking (often free) within easy walking distance for us. Bude would be an example where we found this possible and we parked a couple of miles from Marazion and cycled on our folding bikes when we wanted to visit St. Michael's Mount (although parking any size motorhome at Marazion would not have been a problem). We even found free parking on the outskirts of Port Isaac. When we were in St Ives two or three years ago we were able to park in The Leisure Centre car park. An important factor is arriving early. (One afternoon we wished to park in Paignton as we were driving along the front and couldn't find a space.) We have stayed on various sites in many parts of the UK where we have been able to walk or cycle into towns or villages. Using buses (especially if you have a bus pass) is another good option. One other point is that a number of popular tourist towns, especially coastal ones, have designated motorhome parking bays in car parks.

Really if you want a motorhome/camper van you will find that all but the "low-line" rising roof campers will not fit into car parks with height barriers but the joys of motorhoming more than compensate for this. The other thing to consider when parking is that really the van has to fit into the bay or you have to pay for 2 bays and some car park notices state that you have to park within the lines of one bay - failure to do so is to risk getting a parking fine. A tip is to find a bay at the edge of the car park into which you can reverse so that the overhang behind the back wheels is, for instance, overhanging a grass verge. (I wouldn't recommend overhanging and partly blocking a path.)

In 10 years of owning a high top van ( the last 3 of which have been our current van) I can really say that there have been only a few places where we couldn't find somewhere to park.

We have a 6.7m overcab coachbuilt and have parked in Newquay (dedicated spaces in two carparks), St. Ives (again dedicated parking), Perenporth, St Agnes, St Mawes in fact all over Cornwall, so with a little old Twin you will have no problems whatsoever IMO.

Bas

IMO you will encounter problems in St. Ives with any van - narrow streets, tight corners, too many vehicles trying to find a parking spot & limited parking in the town itself.

Much easier to use the Car Park on the hill, East of the town & use the mini-bus service.

Newquay not as bad & has in town parking, but although there are some, not many suitable for vehicles over 15' / 16'. Again IMO you would need to be there early.

Paignton - don't bother trying to get into the town centre, there is a large car park a short walk away, immediately on left after turning off the main road.

LordThornber - 2012-02-19 7:59 PM

I thought he was referring to height rather than length....

Martyn

Possibly so, which is why I stated Overcab, as I couldn't at the time remember the height dimension at the time so thought that the length and overcab description would indicate that it was somewhat larger in all dimensions to an Adria Twin. Height by the way is 2.965m.

As stated none of the dimensions have hampered our parking anywhere in Cornwall and the South West.

Agree with Flicka re St Ives hilltop carpark though we have, believe it or not, parked on the Quayside with ours.

Bas

I'm guessing you are wanting to compare parking a van to a car?

Well the simple answer is anything bigger than a VW sized van is going to have less parking opertunaties than a car, after all they don't fit in a car space and often there are height barriers to contend with, but saying that we go down to Cornwall at least once per year, we miss the ease of parking the T25, but on the last couple of times in a (slieghtly bigger than) twin sized van we allways found somewhere to park, not least because many of the car parks we end up in don't have marked bays.

Here's a tip, if going to St Ives, park at Lelant Saltings station (well signed) and take train into St Ives, this applies to cars as well, not sure about taking dog on train though.

Theres loads of little streets in St ives. A hi top any one of the people living in them houses could own that I really dont see a problem just parking it after all some people use as their car . The leisure centre has no height restiction . But I guesswe are lucky as mum lives there so we just park big bessie when we had her down mums lane .

But there is alot to choose from in St Ives and you can always catch the bus down into town oe walk if you like hills :D

Hi Mick,

if you have a look on the Motorcaravan club website, they have a list of friendly parking places around the country, which is useful, don't think this part of site is restricted to members only so you should be able to look, there is also a national park and ride website you can google

hope that helps

snail

Archived