autotrail reversing camera

Buzzb

Hi once again

As I am new to this forum and motorhoming,and I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the reversing camera on any of the Auto-Trail motorhomes as mine goes off after about 10 to 15seconds intermittently, and was a real pain when it did in a side road in Swansea ( sat nav prob ).

I was told by Auto trail to take it back to dealers under warranty but guess what they couldn’t get to go off,( Sods law what.)

Also we have an annoying draft coming through one corner of the large skylights and were told by my local workshop that is normal as we have gas cookers etc.?. Is this correct or are they pulling the wool over my eyes.

This no doubt will be one of many dumb questions but hey with have to start somewhere.

buzzb (lol) (lol) :$ :$

Can't help you with the reversing camera but , In our first Bessacarr they placed blocks in the Heki to stop it fully closing and told us that was for ventilation for the gas boiler . IT WAS LIKE THE ARTIC , we used to put a pillow in the heki and pull the blind across on it . The pillow weighing more than the blind used to make it dish down ruining the blind 8-) ..

We removed the blocks :D Also adjacent to this we had a roof vent for the gas . So bed was baltic .I used to stuff socks in that one. They must take us all for fools , maybe this is how we all get gassed :D :D more chance from the old mans bottom than this lot :D

We have no such problem with the reversing camera on our AutoTrail but if yours is part of the entertainment package we did have problems with the telly part of it. Turns out that sometimes the signal can be too strong and swamps the receiver making it necessary to turn down the arial gain ant in extreme cases even turn off the booster.

We have no problems with drafts through the roof vents and we have been in it in some very strong (100 mph plus) winds so one had to wonder what the dealer is on!

Buzzb - 2012-02-21 8:17 PM

Also we have an annoying draft coming through one corner of the large skylights and were told by my local workshop that is normal as we have gas cookers etc.?. Is this correct or are they pulling the wool over my eyes.

buzzb (lol) (lol) :$ :$

Hi Buzz

The draughts are often caused by the square sleeve (between the inner & outer roof) being too short.

(IIRC Autotrail roof are thicker than many others )

Try cutting 4 lengths of cardboard (to the length of the Rooflight sides) so they support each other pushed up to the level of the Rooflight cover. You can cut out to allow for the lifting bar / mechanism.

You may need to temporarily fix with tape.

If this solves the draughts problem, go for a stouter material (Plastic, etc.) to replace the cardboard.

Use the cardboard as your template.

If it don't, it aint cost you nowt ;-)

We experienced simiar draft problems in our Tracker and were told a similar story by the Dealer. You will probably find that there is no rubber seal round the back side of the vent - I went ahead and fitted a seal and have eliminated the problem. My wife felt the draft in the passenger seat when we were travelling.

With our Dakota we had a problem with the springs and catches on one side of the window not connecting in properly; it took quite a bit of fiddling by hubby to fix it.

We also found that if you do not wind all the way then the locks do not engage properly, you think it is shut but if you push up wards on the window it will move.

Hope this helps.

*-)

Hi

first the draft - we have no draft from this on our tracker and i would raise the matter as a warranty issue with your providor - you could perhaps arrange for it to be fixed when next you are in the area and temporaily block the draft till then. IF they say it is normal you need to challenge them by saying that other similar models do not have the problem - don't give up!

Re the reversing camera - a similar approach i would suggest. Certainly ours isn't a problem but then again i rarely use it. When we first collected our vehicle there were problems (can't remember what exactly) but luckily i identified them when we stayed overnight and tested all the gadgets, so they sorted it the next day - mind you it took them a fair few hours cos apparently it had been wired up incorrectly! food for thought in your case i should think.

its worked ok ever since but i rarely use as if i leave the power switch on(rocker switch under the sargeant power control box) when i am not using the van it contibutes to drain on the battery - thus i leave it switched off - can't be bothered to switch on - and rarely use unless i am really in a tight spot.

if you can't replicate then no problem but if it keeps going off keep a log as evidence - also you might find that if there is a problem it gets worse - thats good cos then you can garage to replicate it. i had to do that with my previous m/h - a hobby - where brake warning light kept coming on but never when i was at the garage - when it was on 70% of the time they traced the fault.

Good luck

Peter

As regards the rear camera no it should not do that, when we enage reverse gear it take a few seconds to activate and stays on untill we disengage reverse gear.

Regarding the roof light from day one ours has caused a draught, plus even when tightened down has always been insecure in one corner, the dealer was usless and made it worse, so I had to undo there handwork.

Eventually after tightening down the rooflight to stop the wind lifting it off, the gear box started to show sign of distress, I recent removed the whole mechanism and refitted it with a new gearbox from leisureshop direct (£25.00), it now works perfect ( I added a bit more white grease on the cable while apart) and very secure with no draughts..

Buzzb - 2012-02-21 8:17 PM

Hi once again

As I am new to this forum and motorhoming,and I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the reversing camera on any of the Auto-Trail motorhomes as mine goes off after about 10 to 15seconds intermittently, and was a real pain when it did in a side road in Swansea ( sat nav prob ).

I was told by Auto trail to take it back to dealers under warranty but guess what they couldn’t get to go off,( Sods law what.)

If the reversing camera has an intermittent fault the dealer needs to persevere. Does it always extinguish after this time, or only sometimes? Have you noticed if it only does this after the van has been driven for some time, or after you have done something like turning lights on or off, or is it just random? Might help to identify cause.

Also we have an annoying draft coming through one corner of the large skylights and were told by my local workshop that is normal as we have gas cookers etc.?. Is this correct or are they pulling the wool over my eyes. buzzb (lol) (lol) :$ :$

No, not pulling the wool, but you need to know if this is correct in relationship to your van. There is a general requirement to provide permanent ventilation in the van, part on health and hygiene grounds and part because the hob, and possibly an oven, are unflued gas appliances (risk of carbon monoxide in extreme circumstances). Some makers install a separate roof vent to provide this ventilation, others install roof domes with no seal. I guess some makers may do one on some of their models, and the other on other models. So, the best starting point would be to give Auto-Trail the full details of your van and ask if the necessary ventilation is provided by way of omitting the roof dome seals. If the answer is yes, at least you know the draught is deliberate, if the answer is no, something is wrong with the roof dome.

If the seals were deliberately omitted and the draught continues to be a nuisance, if you are prepared to "manage" the ventilation when using the cooker, it is possible to obtain Heki seals separately and DIY fit them. Obviously you do this at your own risk.

Once again many thanks to you all for your help one way or another,

Regarding reversing camera if I switch the entertainment switch off at the panel the reversing camera works fine???? Auto-trail seem puzzled by this so ongoing.

Waiting for a reply regarding roof vent draft,

Once again many thanks

buzzb

:$ :$ :$

This is the reply I received from Auto-Trail regarding draught problems.

In order to meet the regulations we must include on every vehicle a certain amount of high level and low level ventilation. The high level vents are through the Omnivent and the rooflights. Unfortunately this can mean that in certain weather conditions the rooflights can be draughty.

The Comfortmatic box on a Fiat is absolutely brilliant

Also in responce to the comfimatic auto, I find it a pleasure to drive and for a 3ltr resonably economic but this is only my opinion as I am just a new boy, but I love it.

Many thanks for your input to my queries

buzzb

Archived