C Club Penalty?

Caddies104

Caddies104 - 2012-02-24 2:38 PM

Hi

Taken from Caravan Club Mag. Feb 2012. " Members who fail to turn up to a booked pitch, three times during 2012 will forfeit their ability to book for 14 Days"

Wow some punishment this is, what do you think???? (>)

Derek

They MAY also have their membership suspended for 14 days, and forward bookings cancelled, but it all sounds a bit pathetic.

Worth a try though I suppose.

:-(

Dircetly lifted from the CC Website:

....................................................................................................................................................................

Members unable to take up their bookings are asked to give as much notice as possible when cancelling, with a minimum of 72 hours before their arrival date. This will enable other members to book that pitch. Members who cancel inside 72 hours, or fail to turn up at a booked pitch, three times during 2012 will be contacted by the Club and will forfeit their ability to book for 14 days - any forward bookings will also be cancelled. Persistent late cancellations/non-arrivals may result in membership suspension.

....................................................................................................................................................................

So it seems as if they WILL cancel their future bookings then... Good ;-)

Just speaking for ourselves we value the ability to book and plan all 120 days of our holidays early. Last year was the first where a medical problem caused us to have to cancel some of our bookings. Yes there are members who abuse the system but I suspect the majority of us use it responsibly and value it's flexibility. Talk of draconian changes and limiting the ability to book for the whole season in advance smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water and I suspect the club are well aware of this and of the high value the majority of members place on this.

I rather suspect that many of those knocking the present system are not members of the club and have little understanding of what real members want.

The answer is simple if you don't like the system don't join the club!

pepe63 - 2012-02-24 2:58 PM

If these "no shows" are as big a problem and as frequent,as "internet chatter" would have us believe,then it doesn't seem a very strong deterrent does it?....

..I thought there was once talk of them cancelling the remainder of their bookings?(..there goes that "internet chatter" again... ;-) )

No shows are not a problem and are dealt with in a different way including suspension of membership. The real problem is late cancellations hence the reason for the new rules. You can still cancel providing you do 72 hours before arrival on site. This allows pitches to be more readily available. Even if you can't cancel within 72 hours you do get three chances, you would be particularly unlucky to have to cancel 3 times because of a medical condition! I just think the CC are moving this up peoples agenda's in that its not something to forget about until the last minute.

David

Colin Leake - 2012-02-24 7:15 PM

Just speaking for ourselves we value the ability to book and plan all 120 days of our holidays early. Last year was the first where a medical problem caused us to have to cancel some of our bookings. Yes there are members who abuse the system but I suspect the majority of us use it responsibly and value it's flexibility. Talk of draconian changes and limiting the ability to book for the whole season in advance smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water and I suspect the club are well aware of this and of the high value the majority of members place on this.

I rather suspect that many of those knocking the present system are not members of the club and have little understanding of what real members want.

Well I'm not in a position to speak for a majority of members, and couldn't tell you what ' real ' members want, but it seems to me that for those who do not ' offend ' against the new rules there is no change to the system of booking well ahead.

;-)

Well I received my magazine this week and when I read that I thought its a joke NO I would like to see the same as in the CCC when you make a booking you pay a deposit, and Im afraid I dont believe you should be able to book 120 days in advance :-S we all pay our membership fees and we all cant book six months in advance we have old relelatives to see to and younger family to consider as well, I dont think it is asking too much to expect to book something a month in advance but no it isnt possible as everything is booked.

We are not new to camping we have been doing it in lots of different outfits for nearlly 50 years and at that time you had to send off a booking and wait for your booking reciept, we always were able to get a site I cant ever remember them writing back and saying there was no vacancies. Once again its the grab it all culture that is being allowed to thrive and we arent going to carry on paying club membership fee,s unless something better than this is brought in, We didnt manage to get one site last year that was our first choice !! now there,s a surprise.

Now someone is going to say Well more room for us tough !!

I'm fully in agreement that the CC had to do something about "No Shows" as it was so easy for some members to abuse the no penalty system.

However, IMO there are a couple of flaws with their solution.

The major flaw is that after,14 days the abusers will simply book everything they have had cancelled, subject to availability. It's their nature.

My solution would be that they would be restricted to only having ONE forward booking at any time for the remainder of that current season.

On the reverse aspect, a Member has a legitimate reason and is / was unable to cancel their bookings.

i.e worst case, rushed into Hospital unexpectedly & CC bookings are the last thing on their mind.

Where evidence of this nature can be submitted, there should be provision for an appeals procedure, as they could be denied a beneficial recooperation away in their Caravan / Motorhome, once discharged.

As always, the problem can easily be identified, but the solution proves a little more difficult.

Colin Leake - 2012-02-24 7:15 PM

I was not inferring it's wrong to book in advance, just persistent no shows, i.e. 3 times in one year, should have a stronger deterrent !!

We have no problem with the slightly altered rules except that the penalty should be greater (but isn't that the same with all penalties nowdays?), however we do not like the new rule that stops you from getting ALL your pre-paid money back should you choose to leave a site early, i.e. being penalised one night.

Obviously I can only speak from our own perspective and can see that, maybe, there are those that say book a week with the intention of only stopping one or two nights so asking for a refund or alternatively perhaps the weather is bad so decide not to stop more than one night but I can honestly say we have only requested a refund on two occasions in all the years we have been members (40 plus) once for a health problem and once because the wardens were unable to eject an unruley group of members and helped by booking several of us into nearby club sites.

This rule change seems to have gone by pretty much uncommented on, so perhaps we are the only ones that don't think it should happen.

Bas

Basil - 2012-02-25 4:36 PM

This rule change seems to have gone by pretty much uncommented on, so perhaps we are the only ones that don't think it should happen.

Bas

The rule change has been in the public domain for about 3 or 4 months, I think it was first announced just before the new site bookings were accepted.

If you want to move to another CC site earlier than planned apparently they won't charge you the extra nights fee if the warden arranges the new booking for you. They may be sympathetic towards the letter of the law if the change is through serious illness. On another forum someone wrote to the Club because he was under going chemo and its not easy for him to judge how well he will be. The reply was very sympathetic to those particular circumstances suggesting that an exception would be made in that sort of case.

David

Quite accept it has been in the public domain, my point was that it did not appear to draw any comment, adverse or otherwise.

Just believe it to be wrong that a member could, under the letter of the rule, be penalised through some unfortunate experience, that has always in the past been an accepted action where it used to be stipulated 'with no reason having to be given', this could just add to someones distress who maybe did not wish to discuss possibly private matters with a stranger.

To me it is all part of the further move away from a club to being what it has become, a business. Unfortunate in my opinion as I have always been an exponant of the club but find it harder abd harder to justify some of the changes.

Bas

Basil - 2012-02-26 4:12 PM

Quite accept it has been in the public domain, my point was that it did not appear to draw any comment, adverse or otherwise.

Just believe it to be wrong that a member could, under the letter of the rule, be penalised through some unfortunate experience, that has always in the past been an accepted action where it used to be stipulated 'with no reason having to be given', this could just add to someones distress who maybe did not wish to discuss possibly private matters with a stranger.

To me it is all part of the further move away from a club to being what it has become, a business. Unfortunate in my opinion as I have always been an exponant of the club but find it harder abd harder to justify some of the changes.

Bas

Well you can put it down to the MINORITY once again spoiling it for the Majority :-S there is a trend now for the people that find they can Do something and get a way with it to make a habit of it and so spoiling it for everyone else! but you are right also in your opinion that it has now become a BIG business and those that dont like it can lump it, two members of my family have dropped their membership and I dont think we will be far behind them.

There has been a problem with no shows. The club has sensibly used the lightest of touches to solve this without inconveniencing the majority of members. It won't totally solve the problem but the club are to be congratulated on a well thought out considered solution which is why there has been so little adverse comment.

Well said Colin,,,,,, on a personal note, have very rarely booked well in advance, as that is just our needs, but never mind those who do, but do consider the Club need more sites, as some months cannot find a singe site with vacancies, so have to go to AS Sites or CL's. Perhaps the new rule may make people think twice!! Who knows!

Derek & Pauline

Basil - 2012-02-26 4:12 PM

Bas

Basil

Is that not the same with everything? Remember the 10p tax change that was known about for over a year but the balloon only went up when people started to be affected by it in their pocket!

I think the Club feels under pressure to do something about late cancellations this is the approach they have decided to take and is reluctant to reintroduce deposits on bookings, only time will tell if it succeeds. The Caravan Club does have its own forum and its this sort of topic that will influence the powers that be if it proves to be really unpopular.

David

Archived