Motorhoming in Australia/NZ

Sallys Master

Hi, my wife and I are planning to take a motorhome to Oz and NZ for an entended travelling trip (up to four years). We've investigated buying a motorhome down there but owing to the high prices and our desire to get exactly the motorhome that we want, we are considering shipping a motorhome from the UK to Oz then onto NZ. We've been in touch with the RAC who can supply a 'Carnet de Passage' Is there anyone out there that has done this sort of adventure and can give us some advice? For instance, are there companies that will provide motorhome inurance? Can we travel between states in Australia? Can we easily move onto NZ? Will there have to be modifications made to a vehicle temporarily imported to Australia? We look forward to any information/ advice that can be given. Paul and Rita Stebbings

Paul, Think carefully before you commit to a UK spec, temperatures will be in excess of 40c in many places, not just the outback. If you intend to go anywhere off the main highway a lot of the roads are sealed gravel, liken it to driving over a corrugated tin roof the bumpy way, and the dust is beyond belief at times. Those stone guards and roo bars are not for show. Oh and lastly, not wishing to put you off, if you see a road train in your mirrors, pull over before he encourages you to move over. Apart from that, hope you have great time, I'm more than greeeeen with envy, good luck with the planning and the trip. Merle

Hi

How easy is it to get a visa for an extended stay in Oz & Nz? I thought it was quite difficult and hedged with rules.

Re mhome, I would echo the previous message, whilst a lot of the roads are tarmaced round the cities away from city just a strip down the middle and if you see a road train coming you move over on to the rough stuff . Plus there are the unsealed roads, we found the Oz rentals would not insure you on these, albeit we went on thema little. Driving fromAlice to Uluru we hired a 4x4 as that was the recommendation albeit it was't too bad in the end. The Nz rentals only said NO to 4 roads and when I looked at them I understood why! I would not have risked them anyway inc 90 mile beach cos if you get stuck in the sand you will lose the vehicle.

I chatted with a few round Oz travellers out there and it seemed to me they took about a year to go round the bits that are doable (some is only doable with a 4x4).

Sooooo, I also am very envious, I love both countries and want to go back for extended period but not sure I would want to take my uk spec mhome on some of the roads I took the rental!

Peter

Sallys Master - 2012-02-27 4:48 PM

Hi, my wife and I are planning to take a motorhome to Oz and NZ for an entended travelling trip (up to four years). We've investigated buying a motorhome down there but owing to the high prices and our desire to get exactly the motorhome that we want, we are considering shipping a motorhome from the UK to Oz then onto NZ. We've been in touch with the RAC who can supply a 'Carnet de Passage' Is there anyone out there that has done this sort of adventure and can give us some advice? For instance, are there companies that will provide motorhome inurance? Can we travel between states in Australia? Can we easily move onto NZ? Will there have to be modifications made to a vehicle temporarily imported to Australia? We look forward to any information/ advice that can be given. Paul and Rita Stebbings

Have a look at both these sites; The Silk Route Motorhome Club and Magsbaztravels. You may find the cost of importing what must be an exceptionally clean motorhome to Oz can be very difficult to achieve. The van will need to be steam cleaned everywhere externally and I mean everywhere.

Hi

I would seriously investigate the possibility of buying second hand on arrival in Oz and sell on departure from NZ..

We have toured around Oz and NZ with rented motorhomes. These vans are built for Austrailian conditions and are usually fitted with air-con. The vans we had in Oz were about 6 years old and had covered over 250kms, but still went well. The vans are first used for a couple of years by the premier rental companies like Maui, Kea and Apollo, they are then passed to another brand in house, like Cheapa Campa and finally on to smaller companies like Calypso.

As mentioned, rental companies don't allow their vans on to dirt roads, but I am sure this is for insurance and commercial reasons. Owners of privately owned motorhomes don't think twice.

The Apollo motorhome we rented in NZ was built in Queensland, like many others in NZ. So I don't think there will be any problem selling Australian vans there.

I found a good way to research the availability of motorhomes and other information from Oz was to search on the local google website.

http://www.google.com.au/

Hi Paul,

We were thinking of shipping our motorhome out to Oz for the same reasons and I've made a few enquiries with the help of our daughter who now lives in Brisbane.

All of the other replies are relevant but there's one big problem we faced when I looked into the idea more thoroughly. Basically, the Australian Government will allow a temporary import licence for a vehicle for a maximum of 12 months only. If the vehicle stays longer than that there is a high penalty charge anr/or the vehicle may be impounded.

For essential information you must look at the official Governmental site uk.embassy.gov.uk. From the home page click on 'Travelling to Australia' then click Australian Customs Service, then import/export, then Prohibited and Restricted Imports and finally Importing a Motor Vehicle.

Due to the profits that could be made from importing vehicles and selling them at the inflated prices that can be achieved there, the Australian authorities have very strict rules on imports.I can't help you with New Zealand regulations but I think their policy will be similar.

Best wishes,

Peter

Here is a link to the NZ Transport Authority. It will be a good starting point.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/35/importing-a-vehicle-temporarily.html

I haven't read the dots off it, but it appears that the maximum time a vehicle could be brought in would be twelve months. UK citizens can enter NZ for a maximum of six months without a visa. For longer stays, you need a visa, but I think you can stay only up to nine months with a visa. I suggest you contact the NZ High Commission in London for detailed information. Their contact details are: New Zealand High Commission, New Zealand House, 80 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4TQ. Tel: 020 7930 8422, Fax: 020 7839 4580. Email: aboutnz@newzealandhc.org.uk, Website: www.nzembassy.com/uk.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance re travelling in NZ.

Alistair

No one yet has mentioned the cleanliness criteria required to import a vehicle into Oz. We hired an overcab job from Apollo in Perth for our tour. Based on a VWLT35 and very basic, no grill and a bl...y compressor fridge that forced us to only have one night wild camping at a time else the battery went flat.

All sorts of roads and dust tracks to explore. Fantastic people and they even drive on the correct side of the road. The Locust storm was exciting. When it had passed I had to clean out the front grille, radiator etc and the air inlets. Kept finding bodies in odd places for weeks.

A mate went for a year, purchased SH over there and sold just before his return to the UK. Probably the cheapest option for a long stay. We only had a few weeks which included visiting 9 relatives around Perth.

One day we will return for longer

C.

Archived