Engine oil

dawki

Go for the best oil you can find, the best will not be the cheapest!

Also check the specification for oil for your vehicle, then read the small print on the oil container, it should show your specification. If it does not it will not do.

Modern diesels engines are subject to high loading on moving parts, so the correct oil is very important.

I also suggest that a brand of oil that you recognise the name of is worthwhile.

Halfrauds do some own brand stuff, Comma, Castrol, Millers, Silkolene. Mobile, Valvoline and so on are all good. (Opie oils online)

Use a good quality filter should be used, Mann,Bosch, Purflex and not forgetting the manufacturers own, they can be surprisingly competitive, the same goes for oil.

Swap the fuel filter at the same time, it might be doubtful if it has been changed recently, garages sometimes "forget",

Make sure you have the right parts before you start (been there, done that!).

Do not overfill with oil, fill filters with oil/fuel before fitting and change any sealing "O" rings and seals.

H

If you've got a Morrisons store with a fuel station near you, you may well find that the oil on sale there will be very well priced. I think they currently sell "Carlube"-branded oil. For example:

http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=68&product_title=5w40%20Carlube%20Fully%20Synthetic

Just make certain that whatever oil you buy fully complies with Fiat's recommendation. for your vehicle.

When I have my Transit-based Hobby serviced I always specify that genuine Ford parts be used. However, if you find that Fiat-branded filters are expensive, then you could try this company.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

• 7 years later...

Everyone knows better than the engine manufacturer what oil is best. B-)

Don't believe them.

IF you're unlucky enough to have an engine problem that results in a claim against Peugeot/Fiat/Citroen, the first thing they will do is test your oil and if it's not "their" oil, there goes your warranty claim. No good you then saying "but it's equivalent or meets your spec", they'll say, not our oil, not our claim.

I've seen it happen with Volvo marine engines where they rejected a £15k genuine claim due, in their opinion, to wrong oil being used. For the sake of a few extra quid, buy your oil and filter from a proper dealer, not compatible parts, buy genuine.

I have my oil changed every year even though it's supposed to be OK for 24k miles, done mine twice and it's still only done 15k miles. I buy from a local Peugeot car dealer who gave me written confirmation that the oil meets Peugeot spec and the receipt goes in the m/h file for future reference. We expect a lot from our oil, and it's too important to mess about with and cut corners,

ColinM50 - 2019-09-07 7:11 PM

Everyone knows better than the engine manufacturer what oil is best. B-)

Don't believe them.

IF you're unlucky enough to have an engine problem that results in a claim against Peugeot/Fiat/Citroen, the first thing they will do is test your oil and if it's not "their" oil, there goes your warranty claim. No good you then saying "but it's equivalent or meets your spec", they'll say, not our oil, not our claim.

I've seen it happen with Volvo marine engines where they rejected a £15k genuine claim due, in their opinion, to wrong oil being used. For the sake of a few extra quid, buy your oil and filter from a proper dealer, not compatible parts, buy genuine.

I have my oil changed every year even though it's supposed to be OK for 24k miles, done mine twice and it's still only done 15k miles. I buy from a local Peugeot car dealer who gave me written confirmation that the oil meets Peugeot spec and the receipt goes in the m/h file for future reference. We expect a lot from our oil, and it's too important to mess about with and cut corners,

If you believe that ^ you’ll believe anything, funniest thing I’ve seen on a forum . ‘Their’ oil LOL

Archived