plastic windows

snail

Hi, ideas please for products to remove scatches from van windows,( 2005 hymer) been too close to the trees on single track roads!

when you use a scratch remover does it leave the window clear after or can you see rubbing down marks?

Wondering if it is better to live with sratches or marks left from trying to remove them?

thanks snail

Hi..

Although there's loads of "proper" stuff around for removing the scratches,I just used a little *tooth paste on a soft cloth(a tip I'd got from on here)..it worked really well and they buffed out as if they'd never existed..

May be worth a try before you go out spending money.....

*Just to clarify..it was just ordinary toothpaste(from a tube)..and not the powder stuff! ;-)

Much advice will very probably follow and many have their own ideas on how best to deal. I personally wash the windows thoroughly first, then work with T-Cut applied with a new clean cloth until the scratches are gone, followed by Mer using another (soft) clean cloth, and a final wash down with warm mildly soapy water to remove any chemical residue. No trace of 'repair' remains.

I have now adopted a different solution to window scratches as it is an utter pain to constantly deal with them and an incredibly common and utterly unavoidable occurrence for those who venture off trunk roads.

snail - 2012-03-08 9:09 AM

Hi, ideas please for products to remove scatches from van windows,( 2005 hymer) been too close to the trees on single track roads!

when you use a scratch remover does it leave the window clear after or can you see rubbing down marks?

Wondering if it is better to live with sratches or marks left from trying to remove them?

thanks snail

I'd live with the scratches until just before you sell the vehicle. Sod's Law says that, no sooner will you have removed the present scratches, another spiteful tree branch will attack your window.

Examples of products designed for removng scratches are

http://www.premiercamping.com/Fenwick-s-Windowize-p/FW3.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RENOVO-PLASTIC-WINDOW-SCRATCH-REMOVER/dp/B003JI2SCS

Wash the windows well first, then use some toothpaste, a small amount in a gentle circular motion, with a soft cloth, then rinse it off well.

Hubby did this on our MH windows which had been attacked by a very savage tree branch and it removed the scratches, some of them quite large, completely.

I wouldn't recommend using one of the toothpastes with barcarbonate of soda in though, as you'll end up rinsing it off for ages as it foams up a lot!!! :D

Archived