Ducato Wheels 2

Cliffy

I am due to replace all 4 tyres on my Autotrail Tracker and am toying with changing all 5 wheels to alloy to hopefully give me more payload as I am struggling to keep within the max load on the rear axle. I have a couple of concerns.

1) Would the weight saving be significant?

2) Are alloy wheels up to the riggors of motorhome use over an extended number of years?

3) Could I fit the existing spare tyre onto an alloy wheel to keep as a spare?

4) Would I need new wheelbolts?

5) Would my insurance premium be increased?

Any oppions and advice is welcome particularly on the issue of how much weight I would save as this is the prime reason to spend the money on changing to alloys.

The spare wheel is carried behind the rear axle so anyweight saving here would be amplified by the overhang effect. Max rear axle loading is 1650Kgms..

Hi Cliffy, in order:

1) Would the weight saving be significant? Probably not.

2) Are alloy wheels up to the riggors of motorhome use over an extended number of years? Yes as long as they are rated for light commercial vehicle use.

3) Could I fit the existing spare tyre onto an alloy wheel to keep as a spare? Yes but if its the same age as the other four you'd be better off replacing it too.

4) Would I need new wheelbolts? Yes.

5) Would my insurance premium be increased? Don't know, probably not but ask your insurance company.

D.

"4) Would I need new wheelbolts? Yes."

Not necessarily. Factory fitted Fiat alloys for example use the same bolts as there is a steel spare and no additional bolts are supplied. There might be other alloys not needing new bolts but in view of the fact the earlier poster is in the trade I guess the majority must require new bolts. .

I have alloys on my van ,they came fiited as standard for my Motorhome. The spare wheel is steel, an adaptor plate is required when it is used to replace alloy. If you do go down the alloy route keep in mind that alloy wheels have a tendency to fuse to the steel wheel hub and can be difficult to remove if they have not been removed for some time. I have used copper slip grease on the fixing edges to prevent this.

ham - 2012-03-13 9:31 AM

I have alloys on my van ,they came fiited as standard for my Motorhome. The spare wheel is steel, an adaptor plate is required when it is used to replace alloy. If you do go down the alloy route keep in mind that alloy wheels have a tendency to fuse to the steel wheel hub and can be difficult to remove if they have not been removed for some time. I have used copper slip grease on the fixing edges to prevent this.

I haven't used the steel spare on my Fiat alloys motorhome. Were you supplied with any bolts or adaptors to fit the steel spare wheel in the event of a puncture to one of your alloys?

Yes. i have an adaptor, But can use the same bolts. I have a PVC motorhome and the spare wheel holding assembly was recently replace under a recall by fiat. they also replaced the spare wheel adaptor for the steel spare wheel.

ham - 2012-03-13 4:27 PM

Yes. i have an adaptor, But can use the same bolts. I have a PVC motorhome and the spare wheel holding assembly was recently replace under a recall by fiat. they also replaced the spare wheel adaptor for the steel spare wheel.

Thanks. I too have a pvc. Are you saying the adaptor is attached to the spare wheel assembly bolted under your van? My spare wheel holding assembly is being replaced next month as a Fiat recall.

Guest ChrisB
I believe there are 3 versions of the replacement spare wheel carrier depending on the size of the wheel and whether it is steel or alloy. I was asked for details of my spare wheel by the Fiat garage before the parts were ordered and fitted.

Cliffy - 2012-03-13 12:13 AM

I am due to replace all 4 tyres on my Autotrail Tracker and am toying with changing all 5 wheels to alloy to hopefully give me more payload as I am struggling to keep within the max load on the rear axle. I have a couple of concerns.

1) Would the weight saving be significant?

2) Are alloy wheels up to the riggors of motorhome use over an extended number of years?

3) Could I fit the existing spare tyre onto an alloy wheel to keep as a spare?

4) Would I need new wheelbolts?

5) Would my insurance premium be increased?

Any oppions and advice is welcome particularly on the issue of how much weight I would save as this is the prime reason to spend the money on changing to alloys.

The spare wheel is carried behind the rear axle so anyweight saving here would be amplified by the overhang effect. Max rear axle loading is 1650Kgms..

Hi Cliffy

1) our previous 2006 Bessacarr had 4 Alloy Wheels & Steel spare. The weight calculator on the Swift website at that time showed a weight saving of 12kg.

5) Alloy's had NO impact on Insurance premium at that time - no reason to suspect that has changed.

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems I could save 15Kg with 5 alloy wheels (thanks Flicka) that would help considerably with my weight problem. Well not my weight, the van's weight. ;-) It means I can carry an inflateable Kayak as well as the bikes and stay legal.I just got to convince the boss that it is a good idea. (lol) Wish me luck.

Alloy wheels are not as durable as steel if subject to impact stresses or when 'kerbed' etc.

Fractures on impact are not uncommon and if one is damaged it can be really tricky buying an identical match two years down the line.

They are also prone to oxidisation and corrosion from brake dust and road salt etc. and need to be kept up with to keep them looking nice.

Though the unsuspended / rotating weight saving is important for high performance racing vehicles it is arguably pointless on a 3.5 tonne plodding machine.

If, rather than rotating weight, the payload is the issue, I'd personally look for a more pragmatic and far cheaper solution to saving a theoretical 15kg (there may not even be this much saving depending on the actual alloys fitted).

I'd argue that the only real advantage of alloys is that they look nice if maintained well - and very many aren't.

Archived