Chairs??

Sparkle

We're back from our month away, travelling around the south of Spain, the Algarve and a brief trip to Lisbon, and had a lovely time. I am sure BGD will fill you in on the antics that happened to us.

However, we are in the market for some new chairs as ours are not going to last very long and we'd rather replace them before they go and then we have to buy new ones without much choice.

So.... recliners or not? Built in foot rest or separate little stools? What's your chair in your van like.....recommendations please!

My recommendation would be that you go to a stockist and try as many chairs as you wish. That way you'll be able to try them for size, comfort, suitability for yourselves, ease of folding them, weight and size when folded. You may even be able to try fitting them into your storage space while you are at the stockist's.

Doing this should mean that you get the chairs that are best suitable for you.

Happy shopping!!

DESCO - 2012-03-14 2:33 PM

Personally prefer recliners with arms, and separate footstools as you can easily use just as chairs without the stools. We find that limits the number of different chairs needed

Have to agree. I find that I can't sit at the table with the foot rest type, A folding foot stool , which can be used as extra seating for visitors, is IMO the best solution.

PJay

We've been trying out chairs as and when we have seen them, going to a local camping shop tomorrow to see what they have, but also have a impending trip up to France planned, so that might be worth hanging on for....

I think so far although I favour the recliner type, the recliner with additional footstool gives several options of being able to entertain 2 more people..... plus you can use the stool as you wish to sun your back.......

Nothing so far beats the round hammocky style one I saw in the UK at Go Outdoors...although very impractical on all storage fronts!

We have now purchased new chairs, from a local dealer, and are on the lookout for some stools to use as foot rests/stools........ but with locking legs for stability. I think this will be our next mission on our impending trip to France.

Guest pelmetman

Hi Kathy

Glad to hear you had a great holiday and that you've found suitable chairs.

There are so many out there to choose from, we'd always had the Lafuma recliners but they are so heavy we treated ourselves to some new recliners last year which are much lighter and just as comfortable, kept the Lafuma's for the garden.

Happy sun bathing.

Sue xx

The two chairs we now finally got from a good little local motorhome dealer/accessories shop (just south of Oliva, on the N332, Costa Blanca) are very good - aluminium framed, very lightweight, fully reclining.

Well happy.

But now we are on the lookout for a couple of folding stools to act as feet-up leg rests.

Again, they need to be aluminium, lightweight, with a fabric "seat" part, and with the legs lockable in the "out" position.

Also not too short; they need to be about the same height as chair seat-height so that at a pinch visitors could sit on them at our outside table.

There are several on ebay UK, but the cost of buying them new and then sending them from the UK to here in Spain is silly.

We're looking locally, but nothing has come up yet, except for some lunatic-priced ones.

We are off on our next "chug" in about 10 days time....up to Southern France for 3 weeks....so we'll have a look in camping shops/sports shops and motorhome toy shops en route.

Anyone got a couple of them secondhand, going spare?

Saw some to-day in the "Range" shop £6.99. but don't have locking facility. I paid £10.00 for mine in Towsure last year, but again does not lock. Did not find a problem with it though, and once sat on should not fold , (Well not with my B** on it )

We are coming over end of April, hope the weather stays good.

PJay

Pauline - certainly very good at the moment, at least in direct sun.

Ambient (shade) temp was bout 18 degrees today, but much hotter than that in direct sun....we were nekkid sunbathing on our BBQ terrace yet again for a couple of hours this afternoon, although it's still too cold for a dip in the outdoor pool. And we actually still have to put long trousers on in the evening!

Hard life eh..............

I thought Sparkle would want that Bruce, but if so you're gonna end up paying a lot for it as 'locking' ones are quite rare, or expensive, as you've found out.

The advantage of the solid topped ones, apart from price (as you can get them cheaper) is that when they're not in use as stools you've got extra little tables instead - to make them soft you can simply put a cushion on them, if you haven't got anything suitable what about some blow up camping seat pads/pillows - they are much, much cheaper and also have the advantage that if you go walking you can take them with you to plonk your bums on when you stop for a picnic.

We use a couple of self-inflating ones in our canoes - even though the canoes are inflatable the cushions lift us just that little bit above the base to keep our bums out of the water that we inevitably get in as it drips off paddles - nowt worse than a soggy bottom!!!! :D

Archived