Umwelt plakette

Cliffy

I have just read on another thread about an 'umwelt plakette' I take it this is similar to the London Emitions Zone..

We are travelling through Germany on our way to Italy during May.

We intend to work our way south stopping off where the fancy takes us. We don't expect to go into any cities but if we did could we in our 2004, 2 litre Ducato.

How will we know where we cant go? I have had a look at the map that indicates where the zones are.

Do they give advanced warning before getting near one so I could change my route.

I dont want to get in to one my mistake and I don't want to back track 50K to find a new route.

Is there anything else peculuar to Germany that is different to France that I should know? (That gives an opening to the comedians amongst us)

Cheers

You can buy the sticker at the border or you can buy one on-line in advance. For the price of about a tenner it's not worth the risk and uncertainty-just get your sticker and you have the peace of mind. It lasts for the life of the van

Mike

This is a pain, I cannot go driving around Stuttgart anymore like I have up to now every summer as is now green only. (I am yellow).

The campsite sits right in the zone. It is not clear on the maps but reading the text in german it implies the B10 and B27 is exempt so should be possible to drive straight to the camp site from the ring road but no detouring deliberately or by accident. That is our hidden wild camping spots before and after our 3 or 4 nights stay on campsite out of the question.

Jon

As regards buying the plakette see earlier thread at

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26220&posts=18

The main point was to buy it direct from German Government (for 6 euros) at :-

www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

and NOT at

http://www.umwelt-plakette.de

who were charging I think 40 euros.

If I read the OP aright, his issue wasn't how or where to buy the sticker (plenty of cheap and easy options there, including big garages on the way into affected cities).

He seemed to be asking (a) whether his van would qualify for one and (b) whether he'd need one for the route he had in mind.

Given the age of the van, I suspect the best he'd get would be a yellow "3" sticker, whcih would let him into some cities but would rule him out of "green" zones.

And as far as I can recall, there are warnings on the main approaches, just as we have on the way in to the London LEZ. But I wouldn't bank on that, just in case I've remembered wrongly, or you're on a route where they haven't bothered.

There are German Govt websites which show up-to-date Umweltzones, so best advice would be "identify and avoid."

Cliffy - 2012-03-15 9:27 PM

I have just read on another thread about an 'umwelt plakette' I take it this is similar to the London Emitions Zone..

We are travelling through Germany on our way to Italy during May.

We intend to work our way south stopping off where the fancy takes us. We don't expect to go into any cities but if we did could we in our 2004, 2 litre Ducato.

How will we know where we cant go? I have had a look at the map that indicates where the zones are.

Do they give advanced warning before getting near one so I could change my route.

I dont want to get in to one my mistake and I don't want to back track 50K to find a new route...............................Cheers

There are more green zones around Europe than just Germany. Italy also has some. I suggest you look at February MMM page 29 for an article that identifies others. The Germans seem to have theirs better defined and sorted than some of the others, and it seems the Italian ones require some clarification. National tourist offices would be a good start for information.

Well I thought I was going to Europe for a relaxing month touring I have just got my head around needing a vingette for Switzerland, then I find I have to have a unwelt plakette for Germany and now Brian drops in I need to research Green Zones in Italy. I had less to worry about when I was working, So there are advantages to having a static caravan then >:-(

Thanks for everyones help, just one last question. Where do I buy umwelt plakett at the German border as suggeste the last German border I went through there was just a Welcome to Germany sign post by the side of the road.

Got mine through the post today for a trip to Berlin. Sent application with copy of Reg Document to Stadt Koln (Cologne) with 5 Euro note attached, a week ago last Wednesday, so probably best of the various methods. See Colognes web site for details.

No need even to buy at the border Cliffy.

Just look out for the first big motor dealer you see as you approach any major city. Doesn't have to be for your own brand of vehicle. Take your V5 in to reception. Cost us €5 in 2009, and took 10 mins.

BUT as I mentioned above, you might only qualify for a yellow "3" sticker, because of the age of the van.

Cliffy - 2012-03-16 7:16 PM

Thanks for everyones help, just one last question. Where do I buy umwelt plakett at the German border as suggeste the last German border I went through there was just a Welcome to Germany sign post by the side of the road.

Better to buy it in advance, at least that way you know what colour sticker you will have so that you can plan your journey and stays more effectively. Its very easy to do from the Berlin link posted earlier in the thread.

David

Just came back from a mini-break to Germany yesterday. Got an Umwelt plakette for 5 euro from the Shell garage (diesel 1.43 euro per litre by the way) round the corner from my mate's house . Could only get a yellow one as green ones are from Jan 2006 and my van is 2004. We stayed at the local stellplatz for 4 nights - 6 euros per night including electricity/water. Lovely weather, going back again beginning of May.

Archived