door retainers

maggyd

I had one already fitted on the last caravan I owned (1995) it worked well, and stopped the van door from being blown shut by a sudden gust of wind. A lot more 'positive' than the 'clips' that are usually fitted, it means fitting it through the door rather than just 'on it' of course, but it 'locks' the door open positively. So, safer. Ray

lennyhb - 2012-04-02 6:39 PM

They are also available in a cast alloy version which much stronger.

Do check they will fit your door as they are made for caravan doors which are often much thinner than a Motorhome door.

My husband fitted one to our MH door, but as Lenny states, it was not long enough, so he had to adapt it. he was an design engineer so knew how to make it work. So be careful don't drill a hole if you don't know how to adapt it. Must say, we are very pleased with it, used to have to tie the door back with a string to the wing mirror to stop it , even after fitting a new "Clip" at the top

PS looks like the one you have indicated in your pic.

I'd be a bit wary of fitting the type where you have to cut a hole in the door unless you are very sure or your DIY skills and that it will definitely fit properly and also be careful if your van is still under warranty it could be used as a 'get out clause' if you have other problems with the door!

We replaced the original Chausson one on our MH with the below pictured retainer - the original Chausson ones were expensive (their own design) and we were very prone to breaking (we were already onto our 2nd one). The replacement is very sturdy and we don't have to use a bungee cord even in windy weather. They are available in accessory shops or online, for example, here:

http://www.motorhome-accessories.com/towing-security-and-safety-4/caravan-motorhome-and-camping-safety-products-54/viva-caravan-door-retainer--419/

287657110_Vivadoorretainer.jpg.7ef4a6602c2a04a4c7dc3f6300a11376.jpg

Archived