1st motorhome

royalcamper

I am looking at a Ducato van with 33k on the clock. It is 11 years old and has a service history. The owner says that the cambelt has never been changed. Does anyone know the mileage at which it should be changed? Also is age a factor and has anybody got a rough figure for the cost because a mechanic friend says it is a nasty job? Many thanks for any help.

My Ducato is an eight year old 2.0 Ltr and has 38000 on the clock Two years and 8000 miles ago, just after I bought it I had the complete tiiming mechanism (Belt tensioners bolts etc) changed by a Fiat main dealer (North East Trucks), They had to order the timing kit in from Italy as it was classed as discontinued and it apparently cost £170. I had a full service done at the same time. They did an excellent job, even put new engine mounting bolts in. The engine sounded much sweeter and still does and I got an extra 2 miles per gallonout of her. That is the good news. The bad news is it cost £650 in all. It comes down to what value do you put on peace of mind.

I asked them when I should replace the timing belt again. They said in two years ar 75000 mile whichever comes first. I will be leaving it for five years.

Ya pays ya money and takes ya chance. As they say.

Archived