Is the TomTom Speed Camera service legal?

Patricia

The thick curved blue arrow gives access to the "Quick menu preferences" and this has been a feature of the Tom Tom operating system for as long as I have been using one (since autumn 2008).

If you go to, "Change preferences", you should find on page 4 of 8, the icon for setting up those features you wish to access quickly from the main screen via the thick curved arrow.

I'm not sure how true this is as I haven't been able to check for myself yet but a taxi driver in Paris using the danger zone feature on his snooper told me that danger zones are 2,000 metres long and the camera is usually located at the 1,500metre mark.

Would be interesting to know if anyone has been able to verify that...

Guest JudgeMental
Mike P - 2012-04-18 9:24 AM

Just noticed that my AA Easy Read France road atlas (2011) has "fully updated fixed speed camera sites" according to the cover. Should I tippex them all out!?

Mike P

YES! I have....better safe then sorry :D

drako - 2012-04-23 10:23 PMI'm not sure how true this is as I haven't been able to check for myself yet but a taxi driver in Paris using the danger zone feature on his snooper told me that danger zones are 2,000 metres long and the camera is usually located at the 1,500metre mark.

Would be interesting to know if anyone has been able to verify that...

TomTom's advice (that I believe to be correct) is as follows:" - In France, all types of speed camera locations and accident black spots are now reported using a new service: Danger Zones - Specific locations are not available and a Danger Zone icon is shown instead. - The length of the zone depends on the road type at the current location and can be 300m/2000m/4000m. - The location of the speed camera, if any, in that zone is randomised."As the objective of the silly "Danger Zones" speed-camera loophole was to prevent drivers accurately identifying a camera's location via an in-vehicle device, generally defining a zone with a speed-camera in it as being 2km in length with the camera at 1.5km would seem to be counter-productive. Conversely, the people who provide the data/applications used by these devices did not have much time to convert accurate camera locations to Danger Zones, so might not have been too concernd about 'randomising' the length of a zone and/or where the camera is within a zone.

Archived