BT OpenZone European Hotspots

snowie

HI;

Has anyone been using Wi-Fi hotspots in France or Spain.

I have a BT Broadband account and have registered to use and allow use of our broadband to other subscribers, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has been successfully using BT OpenZone.

I believe you can buy vouchers or monthly subscriptions that allow use of continental broadband networks?

I'd like to have an alternative to expensive and slow site wi-fi connections; and I'm not looking to use Mc/MacD,

Dongles and Pay sa You Go phone sub's doesn't seem to be cost effective as yet, as I understand it.

regards

alan b

snowie - 2012-04-05 3:20 PM

HI;

Has anyone been using Wi-Fi hotspots in France or Spain.

I have a BT Broadband account and have registered to use and allow use of our broadband to other subscribers, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has been successfully using BT OpenZone.

I believe you can buy vouchers or monthly subscriptions that allow use of continental broadband networks?

I'd like to have an alternative to expensive and slow site wi-fi connections; and I'm not looking to use Mc/MacD,

Dongles and Pay sa You Go phone sub's doesn't seem to be cost effective as yet, as I understand it.

regards

alan b

Yes, we did last year and it works pretty well, not secure but few are.

I have been watching the development of this type of service for some time. From what I have read on various sites different people have had different experiences but, all things considered, I think I may well go with this system:

http://www.fon.com/en/promos/betterThan3g?partner=fonmaps&pricePlus=6

You would not need to buy the gizmo but the extra information explains how it works abroad.

Edited as I hit the submit button by accident

*-)

cronkle - 2012-04-05 5:11 PM

I have been watching the development of this type of service for some time. From what I have read on various sites different people have had different experiences but, all things considered, I think I may well go with this system:

You would not need to buy the gizmo but the extra information explains how it works abroad.

*-)

Do you have to have B.T broadband ? or would it work with say Virgin!

If you buy one of these would you need something extra I wonder to plug into your notebook/laptop etc:

Guest 1footinthegrave
maggyd - 2012-04-06 11:41 AM

cronkle - 2012-04-05 5:11 PM

*-)

Do you have to have B.T broadband ? or would it work with say Virgin!

If you buy one of these would you need something extra I wonder to plug into your notebook/laptop etc:

Get it from the horses mouth, all your questions answered on the BT open zone website here

http://www.btopenzone.com/

Not sure how it all works but I know from my own experience last year that if you have a BT broadband account you can log onto BT hotspots for free. I had no problem doing this in France last year just checked for local connections and looked for BTfon. Some are good some not but it is free so good for casual use.

We tried with the pc last year in France and Spain from our overnight stops without any luck at all but that may be the locations we were in . This year we have a smart phone so will be able to roam into village/town centres and may have more luck.

Archived